No announcement yet.

57 GH on Barrett-Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched the auction this morning, the price is almost unbelieveable. Either two people with more money than sense were bidding against each other or something shady occured. But on the positive side, that auction should have brought up the value of all the other Studebakers at least a little. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
      I read it was Conway Twitty's?
      oh, that explains the high price!!!!

maybe a couple of "j.r. ewing texas oilman" types just "had" to have it...
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I sent two cars there last year and I got what I thought was too high for what I sent there. They weren't Studebakers but I got the bid price minus 10%.

Comment

Studebaker painted GH's many different colors, some quite strange, but if someone with the cash wants a car, especially someone not completely dedicated to that marque, and if a particular color
          is part of the cars name, (GOLDEN) then that color better be on that baby! Like it or not , if the '57 GH that just sold for 135K was painted blue or green or orange or ?--it wouldn't have brought that amount.

Comment

I agree SN-60: My in laws had a white with black fins 1957 Golden Hawk, it was fully optioned and many folks said it couldn't be a GH, they all were gold and white. Gold and white enhanced the car sold today.
            It is an addiction!

Comment

i'm thinking it's kinda like the old "all corvettes are red" to the folks that don't know that most of the 1st ones were white...
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

While I was there and saw the car from a distance of several feet, I thought it was nicely done. The area it was in inside the big tent and was roped off so noone could get close enough to do am accurate assessment, unless you had a $500.00 bidders pass of course. Was it worth that kind of money, not in a heartbeat. Then again the much lesser quality one brought $99.000 there last year. When we talked with the owner last year he said he would be tickled to get $50.000! That car was probably worth closer to 20k something,if that.
                Last edited by 41 Frank; 01-21-2012, 08:10 PM.
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I'm restoring my 57 GH now....Wanted to paint it White w/ Gold fins and interior (original)..... Any thoughts on this combo?

Comment

Originally posted by mike super View Post
                    If you gentlemen believe that price was legit .....then you have lead a very sheltered life.

Your comment sounds almost exactly like ones I got when I sold my 57 Golden for 25 K maybe 10 years ago. Many accused me of faking the ebay auction too.
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by vmania View Post
                      I'm restoring my 57 GH now....Wanted to paint it White w/ Gold fins and interior (original)..... Any thoughts on this combo?
                      Do it, do it, do it. Definately a classy look. Danbury Mint released a white/ gold GH a few years ago.

Comment

From what I have read on here by some, I bet the guy that sold the 1957 GH at Barrett-Jackson wishes he had the sense to put a belly button SBC in it so he could get the big bucks!
                        <GGGG>
                        Richard
                        Last edited by 63larkr1; 01-22-2012, 05:25 PM.
                        The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Wrong Richard---If that '57 GH had a 'belly button' SBC under its hood, it would have sold for about $100,000 less--on a good day!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                            Wrong Richard---If that '57 GH had a 'belly button' SBC under its hood, it would have sold for about $100,000 less--on a good day!!

I'm sure some Chevy lover...Rick Hendricks or Richard Childress NASCAR-type would have bought it for too much money..

Just like animals have instincts...some guys have a knee-jerk reaction to install a SBC...whether it makes sense or not.
                            Last edited by JBOYLE; 01-22-2012, 02:27 PM.
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I'd never knock a SBC. They're very good engines. But installing one into a 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk, in otherwise pristine original condition, would, in My opinion, certainly lower the car's resale value.

Comment

Didn't see the car, didn't see the sale. But, if a 1948 Tucker 4 Door Sedan can sell for $2.65M, and bring more than the world's lowest mile Gullwing Mercedes, it's pretty clear that pedigree, condition and exclusivity are worth more than sporty style and reputation.

With banks charging fees to hold on to large deposits, and money earning close to zero interest in low risk investments and bank accounts, it's no wonder investors are buying investment grade collector cars. And, a Studebaker can be an investment grade collector car.

Comment

Working...
                                X