Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May I please get a little help here with info about a 3/4 ton 1953 Stude Truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edpjr
    replied
    No problem. As I said, thank you and everyone else for all the important info. Else, I might've bought a big under-powered truck

Leave a comment:

• kmac530
    replied
    Dear Ed,
    I am sorry if I sounded snippy with my reply, that was not what I intended. After re-reading your post I see where you were clear on the topic and I unneccesarily re-emphasized it. Honestly just trying to help and not trying to sound haughty.

Leave a comment:

• edpjr
    replied
    Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
    We clarified that this is a 1 ton not a 3/4 ton. The big 5 lug wheels and the R15 in the serial number= 1 ton. Irrelevant if you are passing on it.
    Yes you did and you were thanked appropriately. What I was saying, that you totally confused and misconstrued, is that I originally thought it was a pretty nice low mileage 3/4ton truck for the $$$. After all the info I received, especially about it being confirmed as a 1 ton vehicle with a non-synchronized 4-speed that wouldn't exceed 45 mph, my interest was eliminated. But I did provide the link to it if anyone else is interested.

Leave a comment:

• kmac530
    replied
    It is the same bed, I think, though Rich. From some past research I have done I think the main difference is in a shorter rear leaf spring and that may be why the total WB is shorter a bit. Is the 9 ft bed a regular bed or is that not the stake bed on the 131" w/9ft bed?

Jack,
    The 1 ton 2R15 is definately a 5 lug, still cant find the circle dimension, and it has 1.75" splines on a 5.83:1 gear ratio....plenty strong and HD enfore for some pretty reasonable street rod HP. I am running that same Timken split center rear on my 2R10 but with the shallower back set 6x7.25 wheels and 5.57:1 ratio diff.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I checked the '49-'56 Truck Parts Catalog, and says that a 1 Ton R15 could have EITHER a 121 in. W/B or a 131 with a 9 ft. Bed.

It is weird that the 8 Ft. Long Bed 1/2 and 3/4 Tons have 122 in. W/B, but the 1 Tons are only 121.

This Truck does not look that long in the poor Pics, but maybe it is!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-21-2012, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kmac530
    replied
    Ha HA HA Jack. I can see the studs clearly in the pic of the front end. There are 5, but they are not the standard 5x4.5 or 5x4.75 or 5x5. they are big like 5x8 or something, now I need to check I am curious.

Remember, I was trying to find a wheel for my 2rR10. I researched and looked and called and found EVERYTHING BUT my 6 x 7.25 wheels. In the process I learned a little about Stude heavy truck wheels...lol. The 2R10 6 lug has much less back space that the 2R15 big5 and those wheels have the deeper back space.

I agree Jack, the heavier frame is a nice start point, but if someone was going to rod it a bit, say like Jon Stahlnakers, the bed is too long and would need some custom sectioning to look really nice.
    You may also be surprised, if you were keeping the bigger front brakes and thus the big5 bolt pattern, the diff may be decent for most uses. I will check on the gear ratio but they are pretty big and heavy duty and likely pretty low geared.....not drag race low and strong, but plenty street rod low and strong.

Leave a comment:

• Greenstude
    replied
    Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    It looks like what we said it was. Take note of what Jack said -- it'll have a T9 4-speed, unsychronized in any gear. It requires double-clutching and/or perfect timing to upshift -- and heaven help you if you have to downshift. That said, the truck would not be difficult to convert to a Stude V8 and OD (or a 5-speed) if you had a V8 parts truck. If it really is rust-free, it's probably worth $1000 parted out.
    Down-shifting a non-synchro transmission is no more difficult than up-shifting --- just shift to neutral, release the clutch, rev the engine, then depress the clutch and shift into the next lower gear. It takes a bit of noisy practice, up or down. Try to pinpoint the best speeds to shift --- too bad the trucks didn't have tachometers.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    How the heck did you guys manage to see the 5-bolt wheels in those fuzzy, dark photos? I loooked again and still couldn't swear it is a five-lug.

I'd actually like to have an R-15 as a starting point. I wouldn't keep any of the engine, trans or rear axle, but the stronger frame and bigger brakes would be nice to have.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• kmac530
    replied
    We clarified that this is a 1 ton not a 3/4 ton. The big 5 lug wheels and the R15 in the serial number= 1 ton. Irrelevant if you are passing on it.

Leave a comment:

• edpjr
    replied
    No flipping for me! I thought it was a pretty decent, no rust, 3/4 ton with 37k miles at a good price. I recently saw a 1/2 ton '50 in much worse condition in Charlotte that the owner wanted $4k. I appreciate all the input and info. Thanks! I'll mark this one off the list and let the guy keep his Stude with the original "FORD'" motor. lol.

Leave a comment:

• george o
    replied
    Good Afternoon:

If it is a big truck you need, I have 2 different e 40's for sale in Virginia. Both cost a bit more but are running, driving(not on the road) trucks... Also I think Gary Hearn has a couple located outside richmond for sale

Take care

george o
    Last edited by george o; 01-21-2012, 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling error

Leave a comment:

• kmac530
    replied
    It is in decent looking shape to me. $1500 may be a stretch, especially if there is much registration work to do since that can add up quickly.

That is definately a 1 ton single rear wheel. Big 5 lug wheels are 1 ton. The dents look fixable. But that does cost. Parts are readily available, but not super cheap. If this was your dream truck, I would say buy it since it looks like a good starter. If you are thinking of flipping it...pass.

Skip,
    Of course I am correct! I got my info from YOU.
    You and DwainG, Jack, BobK........I am learning, hard as that is to believe...lol

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    It looks like what we said it was. Take note of what Jack said -- it'll have a T9 4-speed, unsychronized in any gear. It requires double-clutching and/or perfect timing to upshift -- and heaven help you if you have to downshift. That said, the truck would not be difficult to convert to a Stude V8 and OD (or a 5-speed) if you had a V8 parts truck. If it really is rust-free, it's probably worth $1000 parted out.

Leave a comment:

• edpjr
    replied
    Here's the link. See what ya think. Thanks! http://www.iwanna.com/Vehicles/Class...assics/3516628

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    that is a 45mph truck -- great for hauling heavy loads at slow speed on local roads.
    X2 on that. Just realize what you're getting into. The C-cabs are some of the prettiest trucks ever, so many people buy the the 6-cyl 1-tons without realizing they are also bog slow, ride rough, hot in the summer, the unsynchronized 4-speed transmission is impossible for most beginners to shift, cramped for tall guys.

Having said all that, I'm the third generation of tall Vines' men who've driven C-cabs since they were new.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

Working...
X