X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    Recently, the Editor of Old Cars Weekly contacted me about doing a picture story about me and some of my unusual/low production cars. I had to decline due to a dearth of pictures.
    Perhaps if you compile a list of your cars, and the events you attended, no doubt many others have taken photos of your cars and will provide a picture. Or if you have ever had any appraisals of your vehicles done over the years, the appraiser might still have the photos of them in his files.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    What a great history, Bob, and best of all, that you are able to recall (and partially document!) it. I've said before, how bitterly I regret not being a picture taker as I was growing up. Alas, most of my memories live on only in my mind, and will be gone when I am.

I, too, was not a picture taker. I have some Polaroids and snapshots of some of my cars, but not most of them. I have owned many unusual and low production cars out of the more than 100 cars that I have owned. Most are just in my memory bank. I have owned some cars for more than nine years and never took even one picture of them. I have written about many of them in various posts on this Forum.

Recently, the Editor of Old Cars Weekly contacted me about doing a picture story about me and some of my unusual/low production cars. I had to decline due to a dearth of pictures.

I don't know the number, but I am probably approaching the 10K posts mark. Do I have to come up with something special for that event <G>?

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    Congratulations on your milestone, Bob, and thanks for an interesting thread.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
    Where, oh where, did these three cars go? In Pennsylvania, I'm afraid I know the answer!
    Their fate is scriptural, Bill: Ashes to ashes, dust to rust...or is it rust to dust?

Well, something like that.

'Glad you guys enjoyed the post. The idea came to me at 5AM Thursday morning. We had ham and beans, cornbread, and coffee the night before, but I am uncertain as to the correlation. <GGG> BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 01-20-2012, 05:28 AM. Reason: transposed letters

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    Not quite the same thing, but here are the three Studebakers I know about but WISH I could've seen:

64V-14402, black '64 Cruiser, red cloth, R2 package car, Powershift, certified speedometer, rear seat speaker, sold to the Service Manager of my hometown dealer.

64V-5962, Bordeaux Red '64 Daytona convertible, 289 4-speed, white top, black buckets, sold at my hometown dealer.

(I'm amazed our smallish dealer in our smallish town sold two such neat '64's).

63V-31238, Super Red '63 Lark Custom 2-door sedan, R2 package car, white Skytop, solid black vinyl buckets, Powershift, sold new in Hollidaysburg, PA.

Where, oh where, did these three cars go? In Pennsylvania, I'm afraid I know the answer!

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by mbstude View Post
    BP.. Was the '56 President two door the same one owned by the late Earl Drews (Nancy Bacon's father)? There couldn't have been too many black and white '56 President two doors in Indy. Last I heard, the car was in good hands in Washington state. Very cool post.
    Thanks, Matthew.

I doubt the 1956 President was the one owned by Earl Drews in Indianapolis. Remember, the one sold by Palma-Rhoads was sold in eastern Illinois, not Indiana. (However, it's barely 100 miles from Paris IL almost straight east to Indianapolis, so it is entirely possible.)

It would be easy to verify one way or another, though, because Nancy [Drews] Bacon will certainly remember if her father's '56 had a two-way power seat. There can't be but a handful of those built with a power seat, and that would clinch it.

What I can't remember right now is if the Drews President started life Black and White and was changed to Yellow and White, or the other way around. That would also be an identifier. If you remember, black with white accents was the 1956 non-Hawk brochure color combination for a 1956 President 2-door, and early cars tend to be built in brochure colors.

The 1956 President 2-door on Palma-Rhoads showroom floor on introduction day was like this brochure car; colors, wheel covers, whitewalls. We can't see tinted glass or rear bumper guards in this brochure line art, of course, and there is no record of the Palma-Rhoads car having front bumper guards, as on this brochure car:

I will see Joe and Nancy a week from today (Saturday, January 28) at our SDC Indy Chapter January meeting here in Brownsburg. I'll ask her then, assuming they attend.

'Glad you enjoyed the post; it was fun putting it together. My mind remembers those cars, places, and events as clearly as if they happened last week....in fact, given my recollection of last week, probably better! <GGG> BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 01-20-2012, 05:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    BP.. Was the '56 President two door the same one owned by the late Earl Drews (Nancy Bacon's father)? There couldn't have been too many black and white '56 President two doors in Indy. Last I heard, the car was in good hands in Washington state.

Very cool post.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    Great post, Bob--thanks for sharing!

And I love the slogan at the bottom of the one ad..."For happy roads, see Palma-Rhoads!"

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    What a great history, Bob, and best of all, that you are able to recall (and partially document!) it. I've said before, how bitterly I regret not being a picture taker as I was growing up. Alas, most of my memories live on only in my mind, and will be gone when I am.

Thank you for taking the time to craft and share this thread. Hoping for many, many more!

Special mention to Cruiser for sharing his history as well. I love history, especially where cars are involved

Leave a comment:

• clonelark
    replied
    Great post Bob, enjoyed every word and walking thru the oldies. Congrats on your 10,000 post also.

Leave a comment:

• cruiser
    replied
    I sometimes wonder why people who like (love) Studebaker vehicles , seem to be partial
    to a bunch of the other 'Independent' marques , then I stop wondering and remember
    with great fondness some of the non - Studebaker vehicles that I have owned .

1947 Frazer Manhattan Sedan . That was some car , which I owned for three years ,
    finishing off a restoration that was over half way through when I started . This was
    back in the early Eighties and when I finally got it on the road , I really enjoyed it .
    It was one of only three or four that somehow made their way to Australia as new cars.
    It was painted Gunmetal Grey Metallic and had a mid blue and biege cloth interior .

1954 Hudson Super Wasp Sedan . I cannot begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this
    car which I purchased as the third owner back in the early Eighties . The car had been
    purchased new by a local gentleman and both he and the second owner really had
    looked after it to the extent that all I had to do was maintain it and drive it . And it was
    a great drivers car . Solid and reliable , it has jet Black paint with original green leather
    interior and burgandy interior garnish molds , now in the hands of its fifth owner .

1972 AMC Javelin 401 Coupe . I still have this car which I bought off the umpteenth
    owner in the early Nineties . It is a Big Bad Orange car with black and white vinyl interior.
    It is number 34 of only 48 that were originally brought to Australia as CKD kits and sold
    here in 1973 . I did some body and mechanical repairs and it now motors really strong.
    The 401 has been rebuilt and the 727 is a great transmission . It's a keeper . !

To BOB PALMA : - Congratulations on your 10,000th Post . That story that you have set
    out is really well done . Hope your Dad will get a chance to read it . You are really lucky
    to have been brought up in an environment that involved exposure to so many really
    interesting vehicles . Unfortunately , such was not the case for me . In the Fifties and
    Sixties , Australia was a land populated by mostly British cars and the perenial Holden.
    Oh sure , there were some American cars around , but they were few and far between .
    The ones I remember from my youth were , a 1963 Chevrolet Stationwagon which was
    used by a local builder as his work vehicle , a 1959 Buick flattop 4 door hardtop owned
    by a local shopkeeper , a 1961 Lark Cruiser owned by a banker , a 1961 Pontiac which
    I think was called a Laurentian owned by a guy who ran a pottery wholesaler . This guy
    eventually traded that car on a 1968 Pontiac Parisienne which he bought new . And I do
    also have a vivid memory of the 1954 Hudson Super Wasp which I eventually was able
    to buy . The original owner , a Mr Mcgowan picked me up for a lift home from Primary
    School on a stinking hot day , and then I was served ice cold home made Lemonade by
    his Maid whilst his wife phoned my Mum to tell her where I was . Different times for sure
    and just as I finish this , the Television news tells me that Kodak has just filed for its
    Bankruptcy proving that indeed whilst life goes on , some things continue to fade away .

CRUISER
    Last edited by cruiser; 01-19-2012, 11:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by STEWDI View Post
    Congrats on your 10,000th, Bob!!. I always enjoy your posts and this "commemorative" one is icing on the cake! Looking forward to many, many more "cool beans"!

And BTW, where's that '51 Kaiser 2dr today? Carl can have the Rambler - I'd like the Kaiser with full wheel covers and wide whitewalls!

All the best.
    Thanks, Roger.

Hey, if you'da said something, I'da bought you some chances on the 2011 Newport Indiana Antique Auto Hill Climb Raffle Car. It was a dead twin to the car we had in 1959. I couldn't believe it:

Leave a comment:

• Carl Purdy
    replied
    BP This the one I always wanted. He won't sell and I can't afford to buy

Leave a comment:

• STEWDI
    replied
    Congrats on your 10,000th, Bob!!. I always enjoy your posts and this "commemorative" one is icing on the cake! Looking forward to many, many more "cool beans"!

BTW, the first Studey I ever bought was a '57 Commander Deluxe 4dr, 259 w/FOM, in Glendale Green and Artic White, which seems much like your #4. However, mine was a $50.00 car that you could literally hear shedding rust flakes onto the driveway if you shut the door too indelicately!

And BTW, where's that '51 Kaiser 2dr today? Carl can have the Rambler - I'd like the Kaiser with full wheel covers and wide whitewalls!

All the best.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Congratulations Bob. For once...being called a "Motor-mouth" can be considered a compliment.(Pun intended!)

For me, your posts have been informative and entertaining. This thread is a good example. Keep 'em coming!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X