Crank up antennas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes..please.
    I was going to pull mine today..but nasty cold coming on. Beautiful winter day here..about 80*..but the rest of the family have this cold..
    Looks like it my turn

I need to order the new assembly.. SI the best place ?
    Mine has poor reception and occasionally shorts out and generally the chrome looks bad.

My interior is from a 1962 GT..so someone re did the kick panel. I'll see how it was put back..

Comment

To Mr. parts. What do you mean you need to order the new assembly?

Comment

The mast..with turn knob assembly.
        I think AC-2303

Comment

Close-up of the internal mount crank-up antennae. I note the SD Int't doesn't have them listed, and I'm betting the only place you'll probably find one is off of a donor car. Good luck Double-click on the picture for a close-up and information text on the components.
          Last edited by Champion51; 02-26-2012, 11:40 PM. Reason: to add text
          Dave D.
          '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
          '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

Comment

To Mr Champion51. The picture you posted on an antenna will not work for 1953 to 1958. That one fits for sure a 1964 GT Hawk.

Comment

I don't understand why your knob won't unscrew. Must be some corrosion. Try a little penetrating oil.

Yes there are 2 nuts but they are not tightened against each other. The thin one up against the antenna housing holds the mounting strap in place as well as the brass bearing for the shaft. The larger nut is part of the knob. The plastic knob is pressed onto a spring loaded short shaft with a tab on the end with the big nut trapped with it. There are 2 washers: A tooth washer to keep the big nut tight when screwed onto the brass bearing and a larger OD one that holds the kick panel away from the knob when installed. You put the big nut and larger washer on after the kick panel is in place. The large nut unscrews from the brass bearing with normal threads (not left handed). Be carefull starting it back on since its easy to cross thread if not started straight. The tab on the knob shaft engages with the female notch down inside the brass bearing.

Also included a comparison of the non-tri star vs tri-star knobs for a '53. Same knob except for the star molded into it.
              Attached Files

Jeff in ND

Comment

Hi Jeff: Thanks for the great instructions and photos. I'll let her set overnight with the penetrating oil and see if it will turn off tomorrow. Thanks again!
                Dave D.
                '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
                '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

Comment

Working...
                X