Vin number info reqd,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vin number info reqd,

If I am sucsessful and manage to upload a pic, I am trying to locate past history of a "superlark" that I managed to get my hands on. Naturally the pic shows it in its former glory, but I'd like as much info as possible before I attempt the re-build.I have 2 numbers 1) drivers door post 63V-23772, 2)under hood 63V-F4-971. and a seperate tag " QUICK "....
    Any one with any way of finding out the history of this car( a Granatelli project )..a lot of hearsay round here, and I would prefer to hear from people in the know.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Hubcap View Post
    1) drivers door post 63V-23772, 2)under hood 63V-F4-971. and a seperate tag " QUICK "....
    WELCOME to the Forum!

With the Serial number from the door post you can obtain a copy of the original production order from the Studebaker National Museum. That may shed some light on any special appointments, as well as original destination. https://studebakermuseum.org/store/production-orders/

63V-F4 971 simply indicates it was the 971st two door sedan body produced and was fitted on a V8 chassis.

Don't know what the "QUICK" tag indicates but someone here probably does.

Good luck in your search and keep us informed.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

63V23772 was indeed built as a full-package 1963 Studebaker Super Lark Regal 2-door. R2 / 4-speed.

It was originally Ermine White and fitted with superchraged R2 engine having Serial Number JTS1527.

Congrats, Brian! Good to hear it survives. It is well worth spending your time and money on it. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Quick, likely meant get it done quickly as it's needed now!!! In any case it's good that it has survived - we all look forward to your restoration photos, and will provide all the help we can so ask away, someone will know or likely have done it and can assist you.
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Welcome to the Forum! We're glad to have you here.

I moved your post to the General board to get you a little more visibility on your request. Sound like you have an interesting car!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

These little addendum body tags are intriguing. Maybe it was a joke perpetrated by the guys welding together the body tubs. Possibly they saw the build order and noted the JTS engine - no, I'm only kidding! But here's another quizzical tag (QUICK) as well as the double X tag that we saw on Pat Drnec's Wagonaire. I have one of these tags I rescued from the remains of a non-descript '61 4-door. It features just a single letter - H. Then there's that '64 Commander one that said "SPEC QTR" on it. Dick Quinn looked up the PO for that one and there was nothing in the way of a clue as to what SPEC QTR could have indicated. Ones that say 4-spped, fixed roof, Hades (an optional heater setup) are self-explanatory. Others - not so much. Would be fun to see Quickie's PO!

I only now noticed our new poster's in South Africa. Wonder if "QUICK" has something to do with it being a CKD car?
            Last edited by Roscomacaw; 01-19-2012, 12:11 PM.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thank you for all the replies people, this is the kind of stuff that may just get me motivated again !

Comment

Thank you, I am not very good with navigation on a computer.

Comment

Any current pictures?

Comment

Bob,
                    The 63 JT owners list shows the current engine serial number as R4 B38 for this car.
                    Leon Martin, Australia.

Comment

Welcome, Brian. You might want to look for a copy of the September, 1988, issue of Turning Wheels. It contains my research article about Avanti-powered 1963 Larks and Hawks. The first full package Super Lark (or Hawk) had serial number 63V-23721, so your car is just 51 cars later. The first few Super Larks/Hawks did not yet have a number for the high-performance package on the production order, so they listed every item of the package separately, making for a very long PO (2 pages). They used the option number 600 for all of those items. For example, your production order says: "600 Avanti R2 Speedo w/Bezel" and "600 Avanti Wheels". Those early Super Larks/Hawks had 5" Avanti wheels; later Super Studes had standard 4 1/2" wheels. 63V-23772 (your car) had the Avanti wheels, so it's in a very special group of Super Larks. The PO also calls for a 3.54 Twin Traction axle; early R2-powered Lark/Hawk/Avanti cars (before the Super Package was introduced) usually had a 3.73, so your car is an early example of use of the 3.54. The first Super Lark also had a 3.54. Your car's PO also had the notations: "Service for Retail Delivery" and "Send to Engineering Dept." Many of the early Super package Studebakers had these notations.

63V-23772 was made on February 20, 1963, and it was sent to Detroit, Michigan.

There's no indication on the PO of the meaning of the tag "QUICK", but it would be a pretty quick car. <GGG>

Good luck with it; you have a very significant Studebaker there.

George
                      george krem

Comment

Originally posted by Hubcap View Post
                        Thank you for all the replies people, this is the kind of stuff that may just get me motivated again !
                        Again? What condition is the Lark in? What have you done to it?

I spent TOO MANY YEARS 'fighting' with an MGB project. I know about motivation problems! And, once it was COMPLETELY APART - it was difficult to see the end of the tunnel...

From the picture, and what is posted - this would be the type of Stude I would like to rebuild/restore. Or - CLONE.

Drew

Comment

I have nothing to add on the ID info. BUT, I do have some encouragement on your building this car and restoring it....PLEASEEEEEEE !!!!!! DO IT!!!!
                          My daughter and I thought that car and that picture was awesome. Even my wife, who prefers cuter cars like stock bulletnoses { I do not mean cute as a knock, I love bullet noses} thought that pic of that car was cool.

PLEASE build that car and PLEASE do a build thread we can all watch...now where is that "tuned in eating popcorn" emoticon?

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                            I have nothing to add on the ID info. BUT, I do have some encouragement on your building this car and restoring it....PLEASEEEEEEE !!!!!! DO IT!!!!
                            My daughter and I thought that car and that picture was awesome. Even my wife, who prefers cuter cars like stock bulletnoses { I do not mean cute as a knock, I love bullet noses} thought that pic of that car was cool.

The above "original / before" picture IS COOL! Very Awesome! Bring it back to LIFE!

PLEASE build that car and PLEASE do a build thread we can all watch...now where is that "tuned in eating popcorn" emoticon?
                            YES!!! I agree! No time to look for the popcorn munching smiley...

I should post pics of the MGB, which I did "finish" after 18+ years, a move across the US, 3 jobs.... It did get published in Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car, as a Restoration Profile - Sept 2011.

And, Would I do it again? Been thinking Studebaker - so, I guess the answer is "yes".

Drew

Comment

Originally posted by DocHemi View Post
                              Any current pictures?
                              Sorry, none that will encourage anyone...Got it back from the sand-blasting guys awhile ago, but funds and enthusiasm have been lacking. I'l give the bit of history I have on the car.But I 'll have to start a new thread ...I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X