Real nice 63 Avanti R4 clone with Halibrands on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real nice 63 Avanti R4 clone with Halibrands on ebay

There's a nice 63 Avanti R4 clone (actually there weren't any R4 Avantis) with Halibrand wheels on ebay right now. Mostly original paint too. (not mine)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...#ht_500wt_1182
    Last edited by studefan; 01-17-2012, 05:13 PM.

I could be wrong but, I'm almost certain that this is Michael Float's car. He's a forum member. I didn't think he'd ever sell it. I remember being about 14 years old and riding in the backseat. That R4 sounded great!

That is, assuming that this is the same car. I'd be amazed if there was more than one white with turquoise interior '63 Avanti's equipped like this.

Comment

Yes, it is. I sold the car and the buyer passed away. I have another white one with Halibrands that I am building. My new one was originally Avanti grey so I am taking it back to the original color.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
        Yes, it is. I sold the car and the buyer passed away. I have another white one with Halibrands that I am building. My new one was originally Avanti grey so I am taking it back to the original color.
        I didn't think you'd sell it! Hope the new one is as nice as the "old" one.

Comment

The guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse. The R4 is a nice car. No rust ever.

Comment

...and you (?) made a video I couldn't refuse...
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF7dsgxQFJQ

Looks and sounds fantastic!
            Andy
            62 GT

Comment

Since it's a slow news day, let's start the office pool on what offers it will bring. I'd guess at least $25,000, because I know the car couldn't be professionally built to that standard for less. Since there is a reserve, there is no guarantee it will sell on eBay.

It's also a slow time for selling cars. Those in Florida sometimes forget bringing one north runs into snow a few miles up the road. Wonder how it would do at one of the big name auctions going on right now?

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

I'm not fond of the interior colour and the interior needs freshening up, so I'll guess $42500. That could be less than the reserve!

Comment

The lister is playing games with this. First listed as #180797972962, bids got up to about $7k and yanked as "no longer available", then comes right back on e-bay with a $10k reserve, immediately gets a $10K bid and then no one else bids???? Me thinks someone on here may be talking to him--??? Anyway, a clone with aqua interior won't bring $40K At least I don't think so, guess we'll find out.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...item2a186fb217

is the new listing. Many possibilities as to why the seller did the pull-and-relist. Maybe he did hear it was worth $42.5K. If so, we'll blame WCP for that, but he was probably thinking about that in Canadian loonies rather than real U$D. ;>)

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

I talked to the seller. He pulled it after the first auction because he forgot to put a reserve on it. He cancelled that auction and immediately restarted it with a reserve added. It's all legit. I would expect the car to end in the 20's.

Comment

Neat car.I wondered about a couple things----Did Stude use that thin style body tag as well as the 'regular' style? And that engine can't really have the 12 (12.5) comp. ratio can it?

Comment

Is it a real R4? or just two four barrels on a R1 engine?
                          Does it have Forged True 12:1 compression Pistons?
                          Does it have big port Heads?
                          Inquiring minds want to know.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

3571 started life as an R1. The engine was bored .93 over to 304.5 and everything was balanced and blue printed. The pistons are R3 pistons made by Venolia in California so it will run on pump gas. The intake and carbs are correct R4 and all have the correct numbers. The heads were done by Nimesh. It has a 6 quart oil pan and R3 headers. Ted Harbitt had the cam done so it flies off the line. The ignition is the electronic set up. The exhaust is stainless steel from Silvertone. This car is faster than any R2. (yes - period)
                            Last edited by StudeMichael; 01-18-2012, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Jack, Canadian loonies and US bucks are hovering around par these days, so my guess (estimate) applies to either currency. Just take a reasonably nice Avanti with A/C and add all the rare performance goodies and see what you come up with - all in one package. I'm surprised that there haven't been any other guesses. What is your estimate.

The Venolia pistons are a plus!
                              Last edited by WCP; 01-18-2012, 06:39 PM. Reason: Further comment

Comment

Working...
                              X