Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

January Turning Wheels inside cover picture of my daughter & her Lark.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January Turning Wheels inside cover picture of my daughter & her Lark.

First off I'd like to compliment the outstanding coverage of the PSMCD racing. The round by round coverage of all the Studes competing with pictures. Its just amazing.
    My daughter asked me to thank everyone that suggested turning this pic to Turning Wheels. Its one that I posted here on the forum that our track photographer Will took. http://www.fasttimesphoto.net/images/IMG_2285.jpg
    After finding out that the pic was accepted for use she would ask every month if it was in that issue.
    She was very honored to be included in the January issue with all the PSMCD Studebakers. Even though she doesn't visit the forum, she is totally aware of all the Stude racers and their efforts. The Chicken Hawk has always been one of her favorites.

From my daughter and myself.
    Thank You
    Gordon S

Gordon, nice picture and she sure can smoke them tires, next year you should plan on a trip to the PSMCR if you look closely in the TW you sill see me sitting there with a few others, I am the one in the white "T" shirt with my glasses hanging in front, sure had a good time there and plan to go again in the future, more members need to get there.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Thank you and your daughter, Gordon! Bravo! That is an excellent picture showing a determined young lady....and that perspective makes the steering wheel look so big!

The photo to which Bob Peterson refers in Post #2 is the photo on the lower right of Page 35 in the January 2012 Turning Wheels. Bob is in front of the RF tire on Richard Poe's '63 Lark Custom. Bob is facing and speaking to Malcolm Berry, owner of the white 1963 Daytona Wagonaire about to be featured in Motor Trend Classic.

Seated to Malcolm's left is Phil Harris, owner of Fairborn Studebaker.

Although I take no credit for its being there, Gordon; I'm sure glad we had that photo of your daughter and her '63 to use in the annual Turning Wheels "drags" issue. Well played; thanks. BP
      Last edited by BobPalma; 01-17-2012, 06:15 AM. Reason: add Berry / Harris references
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That li'l babe is hawt.
        Your daughter seems nice, too.

Comment

Cool picture, it should of been on the cover , thats just so good !
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I sure would like to attend the races one of these years. You guys have a lot of fun back there for sure. I did spot Bob Peterson next to Richards Lark. I recognize quiet a few faces from the forum and the SB meets that I've attended. Thanks BP for filling in the blank spots in the pics. I've bought performance parts from Phil and other vendors. I do enjoy all the coverage from the races. I know how busy racing gets and to get all the results info in print is priceless.

Gordon S

Comment

That's a great photo, Gordon; congratulations to you and your daughter. She's producing more than enough tire smoke to be considered a prominent member of the Studebaker Racing Team! I was going to mention your daughter's name, but I can't find it in Turning Wheels or your posts. Anyway, congrats to her.

The front cover of the January issue has a couple of interesting details. If you look immediately to the left side of the "tree", you can see a photographer bent over a bit with his camera in front of his face. That's the Editor of Turning Wheels, Art Unger. Also on the front cover, at the right side of the photo, just to the right of the GT Hawk, you can see someone lurking in the shadows between the round support pillar and the building. That's me, in my white Studebaker hat, observing the proceedings. Unfortunately, I had my eyes closed. <GGG>

The back cover has a story, too. Immediately to the right of the tree, you can see most of Brian Curtis, who took the front cover photo. He's halfway hidden behind the white post. You can also see two legs sticking out under the left side of the tree. That's our Studebaker friend from Finland, Pekka Polvinen.

What a great bunch of people we have. 'Hope even more of you can join us this year.

George
              george krem

Comment

Gordon, I think, "We thank YOU and your DAUGHTER" is more appropriate. This reminds me of our daughter about 25 years ago when she was in high school. She had (and still has) a '63 Cruiser Rose Mist (looks like your daughter's may also be that color). She was in high school and most of the other students had Camaros, Firebirds, etc., and she had more fun with her Cruiser than the others did with their newer, fancier cars.

I fondly remember a story she came home one night and relayed. It seem at another rival school there was quite a gathering in the evenings at that school's rather long parking lot. One of the other students with a Camaro was making fun of her "old" car so she challenged him right there. How could he not accept a challenge from a girl and with a Studebaker to boot.

She proceded to tell us that night how she beat him. I don't know what the Camaro was, probably a 327 with a two barrel but I asked her if she used low gear. She said she didn't know, that she just floored it and beat him. The next day I went out with her and had her stop and show me just what she did. She left it in drive and took off. I told her to stop and this time when she took off to really push the accerator HARD. When she did and it went into low, she said,
                IT DIDN"T DO THAT! So she actually won the race using only second gear.

She went to the drag strip a few times and had a lot of fun but then college came and upon graduating then got married (and used the Cruiser in her wedding) so the car has not seen much "action" since but she does have ten year old twin daughters so the Cruiser may see more action in a few years.

Cherish these years as they pass quickly and before you know it, you will likely be Grandpa. Thanks again for the picture and supporting your daughter and thanks to daughter for making dad proud! And tell her the Chicken Hawk was my favorite too. (Excuse the long and probably boring post to many)

Ted

Originally posted by laughinlark View Post
                First off I'd like to compliment the outstanding coverage of the PSMCD racing. The round by round coverage of all the Studes competing with pictures. Its just amazing.
                My daughter asked me to thank everyone that suggested turning this pic to Turning Wheels. Its one that I posted here on the forum that our track photographer Will took. http://www.fasttimesphoto.net/images/IMG_2285.jpg
                After finding out that the pic was accepted for use she would ask every month if it was in that issue.
                She was very honored to be included in the January issue with all the PSMCD Studebakers. Even though she doesn't visit the forum, she is totally aware of all the Stude racers and their efforts. The Chicken Hawk has always been one of her favorites.

From my daughter and myself.
                Thank You
                Gordon S

Comment

In a few years time, I hope John & Tracy can say the same!!!

Craig

Comment

Ted, Great memories of your daughter. Thanks for sharing them. I was smiling while reading your post. Both my daughters took their drive test in my 64 Cruiser. It was also their high school car/ weekend drag car. They also had more fun than most with the Cruiser. They always had a car load of friends. My older daughter drifted away from racing for a while but wondering back now. Lots of memories. My youngest will enjoy hearing the Chicken Hawk was your favorite.

Craig, I to hope John & Tracy will say the same in a few years.

Gordon S

Comment

I am not sure of your daughter age in the inside covers pic. My daughter just turned 18 less than a month ago and when I showed her that pic, her eyes got big and she said "I love that, I want one". She thought it was so cool that a girl in her age group {it looks like that anyway} was burning them down.
                      So good on you and you baby girl for letting us see that great shot and good on TW for using it in the mag and right inside the cover, could easily have been a cover shot imho.

Comment

Awesome, is all I can say !!

Comment

That is a great picture. I was glad to see that it made it into this issue of TW. Are you folks coming to the International in South Bend? It wold be great to see her at the drags in person that week. Congratulations to both your daughter and you.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                          X