exterior door trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exterior door trim

After returning from my rookie trip to an International meet, I was overwelmed by the cars, information, and good times.

As an owner of a very earl model 53 hardtop, I have been told on occasion that the stainless steel trim I have running along the top of the door to the rear is not correct and should be a pot metal type trim and that the trim i have is from a 55 or later model. While waiting for the trip to the proving grounds, a nice fellow in a beautiful 55 hardtop struck up a conversation. When I mentioned the trim, his comment was that what I had was correct and that the very early models did have stainless that showed a little door color between the trim and the glass. He stated he in fact worked for studebaker at the time and was more than happy to display his old company ID card. I checked the manual and it does indicate a different number for a trim that is no longer available. Some had to do with the manner of fastening. The part numbers do not indicate the type of metal
    Can anyone else validate that the earliest 53s did have a narrower stainless trim along the top of the door. If it is correct, I am pleased that I no longer have to shop for other trim and bear the cost of refinising. (although not sure i would change)

Thanks

Cannot speak to his veracity. Would like to see the numbers to which you refer and, perhaps, some pictures of the trim in question.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Cannot speak to his veracity. Would like to see the numbers to which you refer and, perhaps, some pictures of the trim in question.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

What I can tell you is that I've been told that only the '55 coupes had the stainless belt line trim. That doesn't prove or disprove your story, but if it turns out that what you have is incorrect, what you do have is likely from a '55 coupe. Now, that said, I don't know that you could use coupe trim on a hardtop? I have also been told that a '55 hardtop still used pot metal trim - so that does make your story at least plausible.

Either way, I'd consider myself lucky to have stainless, as the pot metal pits if you look at it funny.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

What I can tell you is that I've been told that only the '55 coupes had the stainless belt line trim. That doesn't prove or disprove your story, but if it turns out that what you have is incorrect, what you do have is likely from a '55 coupe. Now, that said, I don't know that you could use coupe trim on a hardtop? I have also been told that a '55 hardtop still used pot metal trim - so that does make your story at least plausible.

Either way, I'd consider myself lucky to have stainless, as the pot metal pits if you look at it funny.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I have not heard about early '53s having stainless trim. However, I do know there are 2 kinds of the pot metal trim for the hardtop at least. One kind (#1) requires clips with 2 sheet metal screws to be installed on the doors and under the rear qtr window and the trim has "buttons" on it that snap into them. The other kind has studs with a snap riveted to the back and then there are holes in the door, etc for the trim to snap onto. #1 is what I have on my car and I have seen the #2 kind too. The #2 should be easier to install for the assy line I think. On the other hand, if the riveted snaps bust off the #2 I am not sure how to fix it. For the #1 kind, its a pain to get the clips installed and aligned (slotted holes and washers!) so that the trim actually snaps down and doesn't pop off all the time. I guess either one has issues!

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I have not heard about early '53s having stainless trim. However, I do know there are 2 kinds of the pot metal trim for the hardtop at least. One kind (#1) requires clips with 2 sheet metal screws to be installed on the doors and under the rear qtr window and the trim has "buttons" on it that snap into them. The other kind has studs with a snap riveted to the back and then there are holes in the door, etc for the trim to snap onto. #1 is what I have on my car and I have seen the #2 kind too. The #2 should be easier to install for the assy line I think. On the other hand, if the riveted snaps bust off the #2 I am not sure how to fix it. For the #1 kind, its a pain to get the clips installed and aligned (slotted holes and washers!) so that the trim actually snaps down and doesn't pop off all the time. I guess either one has issues!

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I too have never heard of stainless on a early 53, just the two styles of pot metal.

JDP/Maryland

64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                63 GT R2
                63 Lark 2 door
                62 Lark 2 door
                60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                59 3E truck
                58 Starlight
                52 & 53 Starliner
                51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I too have never heard of stainless on a early 53, just the two styles of pot metal.

JDP/Maryland

64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                  63 GT R2
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  62 Lark 2 door
                  60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                  59 3E truck
                  58 Starlight
                  52 & 53 Starliner
                  51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I have looked through the parts manual and the part number is the smae for the trim up through the 55 so cant seem to find anywhere that the stainless is specified. Only the parts manual lists the early type and seems to only refer to fasteners.
                    the chap who gave me the info was Richard Miller who was featured in video clip at the track with his speedster. He indicates he was youngest employee at the time as a test driver at the proving grounds.
                    I will attempt to contact him and try to get more of his info
                    Many have mentioned that the stainless came from a 55 except I cant seem to find a 55 with similar trim.

Comment

I have looked through the parts manual and the part number is the smae for the trim up through the 55 so cant seem to find anywhere that the stainless is specified. Only the parts manual lists the early type and seems to only refer to fasteners.
                      the chap who gave me the info was Richard Miller who was featured in video clip at the track with his speedster. He indicates he was youngest employee at the time as a test driver at the proving grounds.
                      I will attempt to contact him and try to get more of his info
                      Many have mentioned that the stainless came from a 55 except I cant seem to find a 55 with similar trim.

Comment

About twenty years ago I traded a set of polished 55 stainless for a set of replated 53 chrome to a Studebaker guy from Logansport Indiana. I can't remember his exact name at the moment but it was Italian.

He was going to put the stainless on his car as he preferred it to the chrome. He died about five years later.

Possibly the same car?

Lark Parker aka Trim Trader
                        sigpic
                        Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

About twenty years ago I traded a set of polished 55 stainless for a set of replated 53 chrome to a Studebaker guy from Logansport Indiana. I can't remember his exact name at the moment but it was Italian.

He was going to put the stainless on his car as he preferred it to the chrome. He died about five years later.

Possibly the same car?

Lark Parker aka Trim Trader
                          sigpic
                          Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

I am aware of the two types of chrome trim. The only difference is the method of fastening. It was common, years ago, to use stainless on '53s in place of the chrome. I sold a '54 Starliner last year that had incorrect stainless on it when I bought it.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I am aware of the two types of chrome trim. The only difference is the method of fastening. It was common, years ago, to use stainless on '53s in place of the chrome. I sold a '54 Starliner last year that had incorrect stainless on it when I bought it.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X