Yes I bought it! New owner in Muncie IN says Hello; with a couple questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes I bought it! New owner in Muncie IN says Hello; with a couple questions

Hi all , My name is Rick and I live outside Muncie. I love my cool new Studebaker!!!!! I recently purchased a 64 Wagonaire on ebay, and plan on finishing the previous owners restoration attempts. I credit these forums for motivating me to purchase this car so many thanks. I invite any local owners to feel free to contact me and I look forward to attending some of the events. I plan on joining SDC; and I love my new Studebaker. I do have a few questions if anyone can help:

#1 The vin # is 64S10 752 If anyone can give me info about the car it would be appreciated.The car was once owned by a guy in Indianapolis who sold it to the guy I purchased it from in New Jersey. I bought it on Ebay last Monday and hauled it back home to Indiana. I wa nt to restore it to original color paint etc

#2 The overdrive is not working. I have some diagrams and info on fixing the overdrive but if there is anyone in my area that can educate me in person I am willing to pay. I am pretty sure I can learn overdrive on my own but the time saved would be worth paying for. I am outside Muncie Indiana

#3 I would like to find a camper top slide in for this car in any condition. If there are no camper tops that still exsisit I would like to build one as close to spec as psossible from blue prints drawings pictures or any other resource. If anyone can educate me on this or help it would be appreciated.

#4 Mine is a 64 Wagonaire Challenger 6 cyl manual trans W/ retractible roof . I can not find out production numbers on wagonaires or this particular model of wagonaire. I would also like to knowapprox how many are still left if that is possible. On the collectability scale of aA thru eE( a being best) what is this models letter? I bought this because I like it but I want to better educate myself.

I will continue searching and reading the forum for answers; and I appreciate any help.
    I looked over the posts in this forum before I purchased this car so I know some of you are familiar with this car. I will post new fresh pictures soon but I am dying to get to work on this project so pics are not a priority. I will take pics and document the restoration. I know this car has a 6 cyl but I STILL want the camper top, and I am not willing to trade the 6 for a v8 no matter how tempted I am( a v8 4 speed would be cool, and practicle;l but I want the car as original as possible). I think the camper top is awesome plus I might even use it.

Thank you all , love the forum and love my newest project. Studebakers are cool!
    Rick Sutton rictrics@gmail.com

Originally posted by 64-IndianaWagon View Post
    Hi all , My name is Rick and I live outside Muncie. I love my cool new Studebaker!!!!!>>>
    WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum!!!

I don't know diddly about Wagonaires, but plenty of folks who do will be along shortly!
    Last edited by Welcome; 01-14-2012, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Your car sounds great, sliding top Wagonaires are very popular in the Studebaker community. On a collectability scale, I'd guess it's near the top of post-war Studes...

There are lots of great members in your area (go figure!) that can provide techincal and parts help. Once you join the SDC and get the magazine, you'll be amazed atthe resources out there.

You should try a forum search, there have been photos of the camper conversions posted in the past.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Hi, Rick. Welcome to the zoo...er, club. Good to know your Wagonaire is "Back home again in Indiana." Indiana." (Hmmmm....catchy phrase; now where have I heard that before?)

Your serial number 64S10752 says a few things:

1. The car was built in South Bend. If it was assembled in Hamilton Ontario, it would have a C somewhere in it. (Besides, Challengers weren't built in Hamilton, so it has to be a South-Bend-assembled car anyway.)

The S indicates the car was built as a six-cylinder car.

The 10752 indicates it was the 9,752nd 1964 Studebaker built with a six-cylinder engine, since the first was 64S1001. It doesn't make any difference what body style it is.

2. If you have any mechanical skill at all, the wiring diagrams and check-out priocedure is crystal-clear in the Shop Manual. If don't have one, good reprints are available through Studebaker International in Greenfield IN. Buy one.

3. Others will hopefully post about the camper conversion and availability.

4. Yours is one of 453 1964 Challenger Six Wagonaires built. There's no way to know how many are "left" because no national data base exists to track every single unit as to it's final owner and fate.

It's level of "collectability" is really whatever you want it to be.

On a national scale, it is probably so-so as to collector-car enthusiast interest. On the plus side, wagons in general are coming of age among collectors, and the uniqueness of sliding-roof wagons garners much interest. On the down side, low-line, six-cylinder wagons aren't as in demand as more highly-trimmed ones with V8s.

If you haven't yet joined The Studebaker Drivers Club, you need to do that immediately. It can be done right here on line by clicking the appropriate links at the top of this page.

I don't live too far away and get to that area every so often, so you may want to join our Indy Chapter SDC as well. If you can find Brownsburg (NW of Indianapolis) on Saturday, January 28, at 1PM, join The Indy Chapter SDC at The Pit Stop barbecue place here in Brownsburg on the east end of Main Street (U.S.136) right at the stop light, behind Chase Bank:

You'll be welcomed warmly and we'll show you how to get out of town before the attendants in white coats break up the festivities again. (Cotton' pickin' killjoys....)

Best wishes with the car.

Bob Palma,
        Technical Editor
        Turning Wheels
        Last edited by BobPalma; 01-15-2012, 12:27 PM. Reason: Date Correction: Indy Chapter January meeting
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have not seen a camper in quite some time. There is one at the Bell Studebaker Museum, Bellingham WA.

V8 Wagons are more desireble, but on the other hand a 6 Cyl is rare due to them not holding up, and less were ordered. Many, Many Wagonaires rusted out over the years are were junked so anything 'solid' is a great find.

It is easy to check the wires and switches to the OD, they are simple. A common problem is frayed wires, a leaky seal can fill the Sol. with oil.

And welcome to the forum, from one Wagonaire owner to another!

Comment

Paid the $24 for my membership and appreciate all the replies . Think I have the overdrive working correctly after troubleshooting but I need to turn some more miles to make sure it will KEEP working. This car seems much easier to work on than many of my previous cars. THANKS for the replys and helpful answers. I am very happy this car was built in Indiana and it has made its way back to Indiana.

Comment

I've got a '65 Wagonaire with a sliding roof (and '63 without a slider). Here is a picture of someone else's Wagonaire with an original camper from 1966. I've never heard of one being offered for sale in recent years. It sounded like a great idea, but it has got to be very top-heavy. For sure, you'd want 6" wide Ford rims and heavy-duty springs. With the OHV 6, it won't be speedy with the camper and some people aboard. Anyway, have fun with your new Wagonaire!

Gary Ash
              Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
              ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
              '48 M5
              '65 Wagonaire Commander
              '63 Wagonaire Standard
              web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

welcome aboard!!!

i'm "ass-u-ming" this is your car:

looks good. have fun with it!
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Here is a previous thread of Studebaker campers:

I never did find a magazine advertisement with a pop-up canvas tent though.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I'd like to add my welcome to the forum also. As far as building a camper like the one Gary pictured (it's a V-8 as seen by the emblem on the front fender), if it's just for show is one thing, but if you intend on using it as a camper, then think about the dimentions. The "overcab" area would be like sleeping in a coffin. The area behind the rear of the car would be about the length of a phonebooth-inside the car very narrow. This plus being a 6 cylinder one would have to measure performance (or any kid of acceleration) with a calendar. You have a very unique piece of automotive history & we all wish you many happy memories with it. I have liked Studebakers now for over 50 years and dont want to rain on your parade but also want to be honest.
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Rick,

Great to see you got the Wagonaire.
                      The Wagonaire's are getting a lot more attention every year and have become very popular (if you can find, or fix a decent one).
                      You will have a lot of fun and they are very usefull!
                      I have owned 8 of them and still enjoy owning 3 (and 1 has a Camper)

James Bell
                      Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                      Bellingham, WA.

Comment

I bought this car sight unseen( I did read some forum posts). After spending a few days with this car I love it even more. There are not many exactly like it, it is easy to work on, Greenfield is close enough to drive to, the body is in great shape and it is not a bondo bucket, most of the mechanics are in good shape, the doors do not sag, the hood closes perfect the gaps in the fenders are right and the tailgate window works. The engine is clean and the bay is clean. The car came with new interior panels and other parts to install. The car starts right up and drives well. It is nice to wake up each day and look forward to working on this cool little wagon. Thanks for all the hellos and advice; the pictures are inspiring.

Comment

I found a brochure pic on ebay. This car has no luggage rack and I plan on leeping it original as possible so a camper might not be the right way to go with this car. If the right opportunity comes along who knows. I think I could make one like this but I think I will put my efforts in to making this car perfect first.

Comment

Originally posted by 64-IndianaWagon View Post

I think I will put my efforts in to making this car perfect first.
                            i'd say that's the way to go! at least as close to perfect as your wallet allows.

if you were looking at a camper to actually go camping in, this thread may be of interest: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...gonaire+towing

even though a small travel trailer would be much lighter than what i was thinking about, i don't know if the 6cyl would be up to the task.

the best thing you need to do, is have fun with it!!!
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Way Cool, Rick; glad to have you aboard here! As a Standard owner, I appreciate Challengers too (they're kissin' cousins, after all). Looking forward to seeing pics!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X