OK, What's a '60 Hawk REALLY worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, What's a '60 Hawk REALLY worth?

I have a young friend who has been looking for a C model Studebaker for a long time. He stumbled on a '60 Hawk in front of a repair shop, wanted my advice about it. I looked up NADA's guide for old car values and they say- "Low Retail -$13,550, Average Retail- $18,700, High Retail- $24,500". My thinking is no way. The car below is pretty decent- needs paint, bumpers re chromed, carpet, routine checking (brakes, etc.). It runs smoothly (from a bottle in the engine compartment), carries good oil pressure, moves with operable, but untested brakes. The engine appears to be original (correct P serial number for a '60). Some rust in the floors on both sides had been patched with steel pop riveted in place, rear floors OK, trunk solid, some rust along fins, but not bad, some fender rust, but no apparent bondo, passenger rocker a little rust, but repairable, frame OK. Has O/D with a Mickey Mouse floor shift, spare steering column with a steering gear box. couple extra trannies (in parts), spare dash, other loose stuff. It has '61 trim on the quarter panels and '61 wheel covers (very nice condition). Both the hood and trunk lid were solid and unbent, all glass good except for a couple w/s wiper scratches. Both seat recliners work. Door panels and visors are obviously not original.
    What am I missing and what should he be able to buy it for?
    Attached Files
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

That's got '61 Hawk fin side trim on it...
    Jeff
    PS: Pat Skelly has a running '60 Hawk for sale for way less than that in Savannah, GA.
    Delivery to, or near, W VA is possible if timed during York week...
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Old Cars Price Guide defines a #4 car as...

"GOOD-A driveable vehicle needing no, or only minor work to be functional. Also, a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. All components may need restoration to be "excellent", but the car is mostly useable as is.

This is a driver. It may be in the process of restoration or its owner may have big plans, but even from 20' away there is no doubt that it needs a lot of help."

#5 as...

"RESTORABLE-Needs complete restoration of body, chassis and interior. May or may not be running but isn't weathered, wrecked, and/or stripped to the point of being useful only for parts.

This car needs everything. It may not be operable, but it is essentially all there and has only minor surface rust if any rust at all. While presenting a real challenge to the restorer, it won't have him doing a lot of chasing for missing parts."

#4 is listed at $4,200 and #5 at $2,520.

I'd put it more in the "Restorable" category than "Good".

My personal opinion is that cleaned up and made road worthy it is probably a $5-6k car. As is, maybe $3k.
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

In My opinion that's really not the way to sell a car--at least lose the flat tire. but, it is what it is. Probably $2500.00 and tow it away. (looks like it has potential)

Comment

$1800 - 2000......

Comment

Check out the Hawk on Craigslist for Sacramento Ca Poss R4?

Comment

Paul,

You sure that's a '60? The engine is red, and I beleive all '60s have silver engines with black valve covers. I'd say $2,000-2,500, offer less. Unless your friend does his own painting and body work, he may rue the day he invested any more than that. He could be up to $10k in repairs and "restoration" real quick

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by 60ragtop View Post
                Paul,

You sure that's a '60? The engine is red, and I believe all '60s have silver engines with black valve covers. I'd say $2,000-2,500, offer less. Unless your friend does his own painting and body work, he may rue the day he invested any more than that. He could be up to $10k in repairs and "restoration" real quick

Frank
                The serial number is a '60 and the engine number checks out for a '60 289. I know the '61s had silver blocks and black valve covers, but I couldn't remember what the colors were for '60. I'm thinking some PO painted the engine red. The car has some other modifications (like the '61 fin treatment, door panels, visors, shifter, dash). Current asking is $2k so I'm pretty sure it can be had for a good price.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                  I have a young friend who has been looking for a C model Studebaker for a long time. He stumbled on a '60 Hawk in front of a repair shop, wanted my advice about it. I looked up NADA's guide for old car values and they say- "Low Retail -$13,550, Average Retail- $18,700, High Retail- $24,500". My thinking is no way. The car below is pretty decent- needs paint, bumpers re chromed, carpet, routine checking (brakes, etc.). It runs smoothly (from a bottle in the engine compartment), carries good oil pressure, moves with operable, but untested brakes. The engine appears to be original (correct P serial number for a '60). Some rust in the floors on both sides had been patched with steel pop riveted in place, rear floors OK, trunk solid, some rust along fins, but not bad, some fender rust, but no apparent bondo, passenger rocker a little rust, but repairable, frame OK. Has O/D with a Mickey Mouse floor shift, spare steering column with a steering gear box. couple extra trannies (in parts), spare dash, other loose stuff. It has '61 trim on the quarter panels and '61 wheel covers (very nice condition). Both the hood and trunk lid were solid and unbent, all glass good except for a couple w/s wiper scratches. Both seat recliners work. Door panels and visors are obviously not original.
                  What am I missing and what should he be able to buy it for?
                  Paul, shame on you, are you getting that old to even say that this thing should even be valued in the book, picture of the trunk shows big problems,, looks to be more a parts car than anything, guy want to give me not quite as good as this and so far I have turned it down, what price do they have on it ? $1,000- 1500.00 tops unless you have nothing to do.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

What ever you do, get someone to move that thing off the edge of the road before some drunk or TEXTing driver smacks it and truly makes it in to a parts car!
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                      Paul, shame on you, are you getting that old to even say that this thing should even be valued in the book, picture of the trunk shows big problems,, looks to be more a parts car than anything, guy want to give me not quite as good as this and so far I have turned it down, what price do they have on it ? $1,000- 1500.00 tops unless you have nothing to do.
                      What are you seeing in the trunk that we couldn't see when we moved stuff around and didn't find any problems (other than extreme dirt)?
                      This car might not qualify as a California car, but here it's unusually solid, a long way from being parted out.

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                        What ever you do, get someone to move that thing off the edge of the road before some drunk or TEXTing driver smacks it and truly makes it in to a parts car!
                        Yes. We were thinking that too. It's not a very busy road, but it is on the outside of a gentle curve- perfect setup for your scenario.

Comment

Agree, $2K for a running and moving, mostly solid and complete '60 Hawk is on the money. $1200-$1500 is better, but considering he doesn't have a grand or better in shipping, he's got a good find.

Tidied up and properly listed, I'd bet it would do well over $2K on eBay.

If he was asking me, I'd tell him to go get it bought. I would if I could, and I'm not even a C/K guy.
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I'd go 2k on it,because the sheet metal looks good,except the trunk lid. BTW,'61 block is silver,RED valve covers...
                            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                              I agree Bob. Its a parts car.

Comment

Working...
                              X