R-3 Avanti Sold on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-3 Avanti Sold on ebay

Just wondering if anyone else saw this. It wasn't list very long before it sold for the buy-it-now.
    I assume it was not a factory R-3.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...#ht_500wt_1096

Probably not, but boy, somebody got a heckuva buy. And, there's probably a seller with a nasty case of seller's remorse...
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
      Probably not, but boy, somebody got a heckuva buy. And, there's probably a seller with a nasty case of seller's remorse...
      If that's not the car I built as a fake R3 a few years back, it's a perfect copy.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by gmax336 View Post
        Just wondering if anyone else saw this. It wasn't list very long before it sold for the buy-it-now.
        I assume it was not a factory R-3.
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...#ht_500wt_1096
        Wow, that Seller is really on a roll!!! Just sold this rare Jag for $4,200. Wonder what other "deals" he has? An R4 Super Hawk for $2,500.???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120815295828
        Last edited by Welcome; 01-12-2012, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Around 03/05 our Avanti was at one of its first shows in Naples after purchase. A young man and an older gentleman had a lot of interest in our car and took many photos. I still have their business card, but it is not here with me. A reverse search on the NH phone number provided a name that seems familiar. I never saw the car in Naples or Marco Island. There were and are many interesting cars in that area that are rarely or never out of the garage. Probably true in many places.

They said they were restoring an Avanti and if it is the same one it obviously never was finished.
          Last edited by Bob Bryant; 01-13-2012, 06:02 AM. Reason: additiion
          "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Boy, I think that Avanti really has potential. I missed the listing. I take that engine to be an R-2 in disguise? If it's really an R-3, and the whole package sold for $7500.00, a lot of us missed the boat!! Four bids??

Comment

Only 17 people even looked at the listing. There were three bidders (four bids) with the third person hitting the BIN at $7500. It was sold in one hour after the listing hit.
              It couldn't be a real R3 car because it is a 1963 and I doubt that the engine is an R3 engine, but it still looks like a buy.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                Wow, that Seller is really on a roll!!! Just sold this rare Jag for $4,200.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120815295828
                $4200 for a vinyl roofed, cut top, rust bubbled, water leaking 24 year old XJS is not cheap. You can buy a no-excuse spiffy coupe easily for $6000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-...item53ea95a373

JDP says cheap Avantis are expensive. Cheap Jags are more expensive.
                Last edited by jnormanh; 01-13-2012, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  Boy, I think that Avanti really has potential. I missed the listing. I take that engine to be an R-2 in disguise? If it's really an R-3, and the whole package sold for $7500.00, a lot of us missed the boat!! Four bids??

Unless there are two clone R3's with white doors, it's passed through my garage. The only R3 items I added during the rebuild was the box, intake valves, and valve covers.
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

OK JDP-- I hear what Your saying. That must be Your old car, But am I not also seeing the R-3 style headers, and R-3 style breather coming up the passenger side of the engine? Did You also add those parts?

Comment

JDP, why the white doors. Are the seat covers installed over the old ones. The Paxton looks nice and it appears to have a rechromed bumper inside.
                      Allen

Comment

Working...
                      X