Good and SUPER Studebaker News!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    Opps, what? Daytonas only in '64! I don't think so, Malcomb's IS a Daytona!

I must have misunderstood our esteemed SDC CoOperator Columist!

Yes, Rich; you misunderstood.

What I was saying is this: In 1964, the car would be known as, simply, a Studebaker Daytona, as opposed to being identified as a Lark Daytona in 1963.

My original sentence said this: A 1963 or 1964 Studebaker Lark Daytona station wagon with sliding roof and R2 engine.

I knew if I left it like that, Gary would jump in to "correct" me that the vehicle was not a Lark in 1964, only in 1963.

Hence my disclaimer; "only a Daytona in 1964," as opposed to it being identified as a Lark Daytona in 1963. The disclaimer centered around the use of the word "Lark," not Daytona.

(Trying to preempt things around here can also be misunderstood, it would appear. Whew!) <GGG> BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Photographer Joel Quimby features Union Terminal and a few images of the Wagonaire. Very cool.
      http://www.joelquimby.com/unionterm/h122334d5#h122334d5
      Andy
      62 GT

Comment

I just love those cars..

Comment

I'm a subscriber to MT Classic which is as BP said a Quarterly publication. I'm sure they'll get the details on modifications into the story, but with no disrespect intended to Gary, who but Studebaker folks would even know (or care) that it's modified??? We get minimal publicity in the mainstream automotive media although many pieces I read are nostalgic and positive about the contribution Studebaker made to Automotive history.
          Here is a link to MT Classic subscription page on Source Interlink's website https://www.circsource.com/store/sto...html?magId=239
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Thanks Andy for posting the link to some previews. I sure hope the Feature article has REAL Photos though!

You could never tell what a real Wagonaire looks like with all of those terrible "bubble" pics from using the wrong Lens too close.

Some people may call that Art, obviously NOT me.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I just wanna know one thing. Does the wagon have full disc hubcaps? jimmijim
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                I just wanna know one thing. Does the wagon have full disc hubcaps? jimmijim
                'Not sure what you mean by "full disc hubcaps," Jimmy.

Malcolm normally drives and shows the car with non-stock slotted wheels and small, non-Studebaker dog-dish hubcaps, as shown in Post #7, above.

In the teaser photos linked in Post #17, above, it looks like the wagon was fitted with full-diameter Studebaker wheel covers, possibly 1963 Hawk, for the photo shoot. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Very informative thread guys. I look forward to a great multi-page spread on Malcolm's R2 Wagonaire.
                  The current issue of Motor Trend Classic (Winter 2011) contains two Studebaker related articles.
                  The first (pages 92-99) is about "Mr. 500", Andy Granatelli. Lots of great photos and reading.
                  On page 140 is the Affordable Classics article. It features our '64 GT Hawk. Detroit MT Editor Todd Lassa saw our car at the Ypsi Orphan Car Show in late Sept 2011.
                  He handed me his business card and interviewed me on site. He asked for a good photo which I took a few days later and emailed him.
                  The article has a few errors in it (golden hawk?, hemi?) but I got a kick out of seeing in there anyhow.
                  StudeBakerHarv
                  * 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe (Cathcart Stg 4 Engine)
                  * 1971 Avanti II (RQB-1659).

Comment

That be it. ok cheers jimmijim
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Picked up the Spring Issue of Motor Trend Classic tonight at Barnes and Noble featuring Malcolm's Wagonaire. Awesome eight page color article. Way to go Malcolm!
                      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                      Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

I picked my issue up at Barnes and Noble a couple of days ago. The article on Malcom's Wagonaire is a good one. I would love to see some pictures of that car when Phil and Malcom drag raced it in its early days. This is the most expensive magazine I have ever purchased, but the Wagonaire story was well worth it. Other articles too are very good and very informative. (Did you know that the last 289 Cobra was an automatic, from the factory? Me either.)
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I received this link this afternoon in my email box. A good read all around. Well done Malcolm!

http://www.motortrend.com/classic/fe...naire_daytona/

Allen
                          1964 GT Hawk
                          PSMCDR 2014
                          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                          PSMCDR 2013
                          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Malcolm showed me the issue at SB swap meet.....its probably the best Studebaker article I've ever seen !
                            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Well done!
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                                Malcolm showed me the issue at SB swap meet.....its probably the best Studebaker article I've ever seen !
                                Yes, DITTO!
                                sigpic
                                Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Working...
                                X