Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#10 Studebaker collectibles - unusual key fob (Anyone read Yiddish?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    Great, thanks very much to both. You have solved the mystery. I was thinking that it
    might be a dealer name, would not have guessed a driving school. I guess we can
    speculate that the driving school had a fleet of Studebakers?

Leave a comment:

• gwood
    replied
    Additional input

I work with an Israeli engineer and asked him to translate. Here is what he said:

It spells "Lark" in Hebrew where the image is and on the other side it gives the name address and phone number of a driving school by the name of "Hama'avir" which translate to "the mover" or the one who will "pass you" meaning pass the driving test.

Leave a comment:

• Michidan
    replied
    Here's a translation. Yes this is written in 'original' Hebrew. Hebrew is more commonly written now in Latin characters.
    My friend could tell it was quite old, based on the 6 digit phone number. Also it's from Haifa, which was the city the assembly plant was in. No surprise there I guess.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Michidan; 01-11-2012, 05:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeMann View Post
    Actually, it's Hebrew; not Yiddish. My understanding (I could be wrong) is that Yiddish is a blending of Russion, German and Hebrew and is written with the latin alphabet.
    Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    Got it, thanks.
    And Yiddish is rather closely related to the "Pennsylvania Dutch" that the Amish speak to boot.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Ever wonder how to spell "Studebaker" in Hebrew?...

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeMann View Post
    Actually, it's Hebrew; not Yiddish. My understanding (I could be wrong) is that Yiddish is a blending of Russion, German and Hebrew and is written with the latin alphabet.
    Got it, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• StudeMann
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Michidan
    replied
    Zaharaim Tovim Richard,
    I work for an Israeli company. I emailed a guy for a translation, but probably won't hear back until tomorrow.
    (Had I know I would be here 14 years and counting, I'd would have learned a bit more hebrew..)

Leave a comment:

• dusty taylor
    replied
    Richard Dusty here sent you a PM.

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    And all these years we have been underestimating your intelligence!!

Leave a comment:

• Sdude
    replied
    My guess is that the yiddish on the front says Lark.

Leave a comment:

• #10 Studebaker collectibles - unusual key fob (Anyone read Yiddish?)

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1326219297

This is an original key fob that I am guessing is from Israel (1964). Does anyone else have one of these in their collection? Can anyone decipher the printing on the reverse side? For more on the Israeli assembly plant see the Jan. 2012 TW article by Amon Wirthiem (and Art Unger) on page 16-17.
Working...
X