No announcement yet.

Amazing barn find.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Neil and John; that's what I thought.

On one of our many Fall Carlisle adventures, my Hudson buddy with whom I traveled, Larry Kennedy, bought a 1969 Plymouth Fury 4-door hardtop (yes, a full-size 1969 Plymouth Fury!) with a 318 and column-shift three speed, from someone up from the Carolinas, IIRC.

What an oddball! It was probably the only full-size, three-on-the-tree 1969 Plymouth in Indiana when he got it back.

'Kinda neat, how different areas of the country represent different markets. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Allow me to elaborate on an unusually equipped 1971 Ford LTD Brougham in my hometown of Hamlet, NC. There is also some Studebaker content so I am not called out for talking exclusively about Fords.

Along with the upscale Brougham interior and exterior touches, this particular unit was equipped with power windows, power locks, power split seats, air conditioning, AM/8 track and motivated through a three speed manual shift on the column. It was driven exclusively by a monied Mrs. Gulledge who was old school and did not like automatic transmissions. Every three to four years she got a new Ford, and ordering one with a "straight drive" as my dad called it was never really a problem, at least up until 1971.

As the story goes, Ford questioned the order and did not want to build a LTD Brougham with a three speed. The fact that Mrs. Gulledge's husband had been a successful Ford dealer in the past and some of their sons currently (still do) owned Ford dealerships here in the Carolinas got the car through. Mrs. Gulledge drove it until about 1979 when it was involved in a wreck that damaged the front end sheet metal. The car was replaced subsequently with a 1979 LTD II and later a 1983 Mercury Grand Marquis. By this time, either Mrs. Gulledge was persuaded to accept an automatic transmission or Ford stood their ground and flatly refused to build these cars with a manual shift.

I will always have the vision of Mrs. Gulledge driving her unusual '71 LTD Brougham around town. If I remember correctly, the car went back to her sons. My dad wanted to buy it as the damage was minimal and would be an easy fix. If one ever comes across a three speed equipped '71 LTD Brougham that is beige with a dark green vinyl top and green interior, that would almost certainly have to be Mrs. G's car.

Now for the Studebaker content: It seems funny to me that the original owner went with that "new fangled" air conditioning system and did not opt for an automatic transmission.

Not too long ago, I was talking with a gentleman who does picture framing for me and he informed that he sold Chevrolets in the early to mid 1960's. He remarked that it seemed they had quite a few Bel-Air models with air conditioning while higher priced Impalas and Caprices often lacked the feature. He deduced that people who really wanted air conditioning would settle for a lower trim line to offset the extra cost of the air conditioning. He also commented that many people did not want to have anything to do with air conditioning for fear of it "ruining" their gas mileage.

Mr. Bill
      Hamlet, NC
      Last edited by Mr. Bill; 01-11-2012, 04:52 PM. Reason: for clarity

Comment

Working...
      X