Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the Porterfield Custom '54 (lots of pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Porterfield Custom '54 (lots of pictures)

In the thread about 31streetrod's 31 street rod {http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-31-street-rod) I said I would be seeing a custom coupe with a different engine. Well, today I did.
    First, I was mistaken about the engine being a McLaren. It is a Ford 4.6 liter 32-valve engine as used in Mustangs. Anyhow, it's not your usual bow tie engine. The engine hasn't been treated yet- still has its original colors and trim, but it will look a lot different when the car rolls out, especially if he goes ahead and puts a supercharger on it as he is considering. Beyond that I'll let 31streetrod detail the engine features and the mechanics of the car. The car is sensational. It started life as an Arizona '54 Champion coupe. It now sits on a custom chassis built for the car by a shop in Bedford, PA. Power will hit the ground through a Tremec 5-speed and a 3.70 Ford 9-inch rear. The dash is a reproduction early Hawk dash done in Cumberland, MD. It was built with pads for the a/c outlets which are part of the Vintage Air/Heat system. The engine turned panel is stainless, not aluminum. The front of the top is chopped 1 3/4 inches and I can't believe how it streamlines the body with just a little more rake. The rear of the top is not chopped. There are too many things to tell about the car in a reasonable length post. Best to say, NOTHING was spared or is being spared.
    Jimmy Porterfield has a man cave to seriously envy. His business is a large body shop. Behind the body shop he has a personal shop with metal working equipment, a great lift and much, much more. For example, he made his own inner fenders and console. He removed the spare tire hump in the trunk and removed the rear foot wells (which are perfect incidentally). He will have a number of '54 coupe parts for sale when the car is done.
    'Nuff said. Here are some of the pictures from today.

Frenched headlights.

Jimmy didn't like the Studebaker hood hinge design so he made is own.

Love the difference the slight chop made in the rake of the windshield

Last edited by 53k; 04-26-2013, 05:29 PM.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

I like the color.
    Should be a neat car when completed.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

WOW !!! That's a dream machine ! And, the # 2 Panoz engine ? That is more rare than the Stude !(not as desirable as the body, but a real find) This should make a real sweet ride, thanks for the pics, John

Comment

Paul

Thanks for the extensive pictures. The more you look the more you see. Nice treatment of the firewall and suspended petals. The steering column will need a bend or two, I'll bet.

That gentlemen's chop is just perfect for both C and K's, almost like it should have been done originally.

He also has confidence in his painting skills as he will do the front end later. It will be spectacular when done.

Bob

Comment

ohh baby, that is one sweet ride....can`t wait to see it finished! Junior
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Love the Hawk dash, is there a place to get new engine turned aluminum for those? I have a Golden Hawk dash i'd like to replace the aluminum.
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Clonelark, the link below is for the engine turned overlay.

This website is for sale! haneline.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, haneline.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary1953 View Post
                I like the color.
                Should be a neat car when completed.
                Color is a 2012 GM color. I believe Jimmy said it is a Corvette color.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Beautiful car!

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Makes me wish I was back to work on mine.
                    But I have to get Sandi's finished first.......and the Vedette trailer for South Bend.
                    Good Roads
                    Brian
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca
                    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I went over today and took more pictures of the custom. It is now running and most electrical hookups are done. You can't believe the dash. I shot a couple short video clips with my digital camera. I can view them on my computer, but I'm not getting any sound (MOV file). I'm posting the url just in case it works for you. The car is LOUD!

The package on the shelf to the left of the battery is the computer and electrical central. Taillights are '55s

Video of the car running- http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohns...%202%20011.MOV

Console fabricated in house

He has a custom steering wheel coming for this column

Slits in the doors are for Pontiac Gran Prix pull-type handles

Fiberglas hood (and fenders)

Fiberglas front bumper

Inner fender fabricated in house

Comment

Just keeps getting better and better!
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Wow... that is absolutely spectacular!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Very nice!

Be aware, though, that sometimes, when the sun is behind you, you will be absolutely blinded by that dash... to the point of being dangerous... really!

Love it!
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

A can of dulling spray will fix that

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X