'63 Super Lark???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studebakersteve View Post
    I know this car pretty well, as I was the one who told him it was a legitimate R-2 car.

It has been for sale for years and I have tried to buy it from him several times, he would never give me a price.

Here's what I know about it: Was repainted years ago the wrong color, the interior was dyed black at the same time.The original engine was blown up and replaced with reg 289, supercharger cradle and water manifold are from a Golden Hawk, transmission was switched to a Powershift on the floor, incorrect radiator, Ford 9" rear end from a Lincoln Versaille.

It's not a bad car, just a little incorrect. I would classify it as good driver.

'Hope this helps somebody. If anybody is serious about it I would be happy to look at it again and give you detailed description of it. I'm no longer interested in it. Steve
    Thanks for the current status and "rest of the story," Steve; much appreciated. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wow, I found out more with one post than I would know if I looked at the car myself. Thanks Bob and Steve. I wish that lotto ticket would paid off. I also wish I had participated in this forum a lot longer before I purchased my first cars. I overpaid for the first one and got a fair deal on the other. We'll find out how much I overpaid when the Northwest chapter guys get to look at it. Do you guys, with all you know about Studes, ever make poor purchasing decisions? My wife is still waiting for her car and with the help I receive here I should do much better this time.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Jeb View Post
        Wow, I found out more with one post than I would know if I looked at the car myself. Thanks Bob and Steve. I wish that lotto ticket would paid off. I also wish I had participated in this forum a lot longer before I purchased my first cars. I overpaid for the first one and got a fair deal on the other. We'll find out how much I overpaid when the Northwest chapter guys get to look at it. Do you guys, with all you know about Studes, ever make poor purchasing decisions? My wife is still waiting for her car and with the help I receive here I should do much better this time.

John

'Glad to help, John. What car is your wife waiting for?

We've all made bad purchasing decisions. I've bought cars for a living most of my life; I'll be 66 next month. For 25 years, I was the primary buyer for a collector-car dealership in Rockford IL: Unique Motorcars Ltd. It was dissolved when the owner (still a good friend) retired some years ago. So, I've personally bought on the order of 5,000 vehicles of all description in my lifetime. Not too many mistakes, but a few.

It's one thing, now, to document how a car was built, such as we've done with this convertible. But, today, almost 50 years out, condition and the car's life to date are so much more important. Note that, per Steve's report, this car now bears little resemblance to how it looked when it was loaded on a rail car to start its journey to California, and we don't know the structural condition until a current, on-site inspection is conducted.

Owners will sometimes provide accurate photos of a car if you request specific ones, but there is no substitute for an on-site inspection by someone you trust...preferably yourself, in that no two people look at a car the same way. BP
        Last edited by BobPalma; 01-08-2012, 06:38 PM. Reason: grammar
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Oh Yes I have errored before!All the cars I had bought that I never saw in person all had issues.The only way to alleviate this is to see them in person.I have also been guilty of paying too much for a car that I knew wasn't worth the price,even after I inspected it,but I just had to have it!Recently A man in California wanted to buy my 58 Golden Hawk but wanted someone to inspect for him.I had Will Sander do it and inspect as if he was judging at the Studebaker Internationals.He didn't buy it but at least I know I was honest in presenting it to him.
          Steve
          36 Dictator cpe
          36 ST.regis custom 2dr sedan R-2
          37 Coupe express R-2
          50 Champion convert
          54 champion cpe
          59 3/4 p/up 4wd
          63 Custom R-2
          63 GT hawk R-2 Motor Trend Hawk/Chicago Show Car
          63 Avanti R-2
          63 Avant1 R-2
          64 Commander R-1
          64 Challenger R-3
          58 Packard hawk
          64 Champ
          2-63 Wagonaire's
          62 E40 Transtar
          55 3/4 T pickup
          64 Daytona
          Brand X :
          70 Duster 340,56 Chevy Del Ray,49 Jeepster,58 Plymouth Belvedere,67 IH Travelall,58 IH Golden Anniversary

http://www.studebakersteve.com

Comment

I'll bet you guys have seen some beautiful rides. Steve, glad to know I'm not the only one who's overpaid. I still love the car and intend to drive the hell out of it. Bob, I totally get your condition and life to date comments. My wife wants a hawk or a station wagon as long as it's an automatic. I'm not sure which models. I think she needs to see more cars before she decides. We thought about driving the Champion home from Portland by way of South Bend to experience the international meet and see lots of Studes before we buy my wife’s car. I don't know if the car can make a 6000 mile trip. I'll know more after my brother takes it to the northwest chapter guys and they get a good look at it. Maybe we'll be flying down instead. Sorry it takes so long to answer posts but out here it's dial up only, a whopping 26.4 kbps.

Comment

Working...
            X