Chicago, LA, Ft. Wayne, and New Brunswick plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago, LA, Ft. Wayne, and New Brunswick plants

I spend a lot of my time in one of Studebaker's manufacturing plants, but being from SB I don't really get to see Studebaker's "other city" plants. Just wondering, what's the current status of some of the other plants that Studebaker had in the US? This includes Chicago (aviation), Ft. Wayne (aviation), LA, and New Brunswick. Are these builds still standing? Are they still in use for anything? I've never personally seen any of these plants except for arial photos I have of New Brunswick.
    Chris Dresbach

Chris: Interesting to become aware of a Fort Wayne facility. I was in that area until '62 and didn't know about it. Maybe an SDC member in that area can provide some info on that history.
    Last edited by Bob Bryant; 01-08-2012, 04:57 AM.
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
      Chris: Interesting to become aware of a Fort Wayne facility. I was in that area until '62 and was not aware of it. Maybe an SDC member in that area can provide some info on that history.
      I didn't know Studebaker had a Plant that either. Have you got an address in Ft. Wayne? I spent most of the day there Friday, included was a "self-guided" tour around what is left of the old International Harvester complex.

Might you be thinking about the rear differentials Studebaker bought from Dana Corp. in Ft. Wayne or down the road a ways in Muncie, IN where Studebaker bought transmissions from Warner Gear/Borg-Warner? TIA

Comment

Please send me and address or street and Lark VIII girl and I will go look for it.

Comment

The Vernon plant (Studebaker Pacific) site at 4530 Loma Vista Ave, better know as the Los Angeles assembly plant is now part of a industrial facility that includes several other addresses. I have included 3 links to give a better idea of its current status and physical structure. It is right next to the Los Angeles river flood control channel (famous in lots of "Holly-weird" movies) and railroad facilities.

http://wikimapia.org/12362859/Studeb...bly-Plant-site

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/16391...nue-Vernon-CA/

https://www.google.com/search?q=4530...ient=firefox-a

Comment

Yeah, Ft. Wayne had a STUDEBAKER plant. It was used for war time production of B-17 engines along with the South Bend aviation plant and the Chicago aviation plant. I'm trying to find an address right now, but not having much luck.
            Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 01-08-2012, 12:45 PM.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Studebaker Corp. - Liquidation Files 1-2, Ft. Wayne, IN. Aug. 1944 - Mar. 1947

Box 342
              Studebaker Corp. - Liquidation File 3, Ft. Wayne, IN. April 1947
              The above is from a big listing of the properties the U.S. Gov't liquidated after the end of WWll.
              Baer Field was a large base for fitting out airplanes departing for overseas. Lark VIII girl will research the local phone books of the 1940s

Husband of Lark VIII girl

Comment

The New Brunswick New Jersey plant is right on Route 1. I went by it a few years ago & I recall there was a Turning Wheels article on it. After seeing what was left of South Bend & how old that plant was, even when it was closed by Studebaker, I was quite surprized how modern the N.J. plant was. I understand no cars were built there, only Jet engines for the Korean War effort, so when that was over, sales had fallen & it was sold to Volkswagen, who after 6 months decided not to build cars in the U.S. & sold it to a company that made ladders (I believe).
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Lark8girl View Post
                  Studebaker Corp. - Liquidation Files 1-2, Ft. Wayne, IN. Aug. 1944 - Mar. 1947 Box 342
                  Studebaker Corp. - Liquidation File 3, Ft. Wayne, IN. April 1947
                  The above is from a big listing of the properties the U.S. Gov't liquidated after the end of WWll.
                  Baer Field was a large base for fitting out airplanes departing for overseas. Lark VIII girl will research the local phone books of the 1940s Husband of Lark VIII girl
                  "The Studebaker Corporation aviation engine plant was in the final stages of completion. It would employ 1,400 people on its 40 acre site. Studebaker would make B-17 engines among other things."

...taken from this...

http://www.museumofthesoldier.com/baer_field.htm

Comment

The address of the Chicago plant was 5555 Archer Avenue on the south side of Chicago. It was bounded by Cicero, 55th Street and Archer Ave. It was directly across the street from Midway airport. No complete B17 engines were built there, it was solely for making component parts (the same thing is true for the Ft Wayne facility). It was leased from the government from 1941 thru Dec 1, 1945 when it was turned over to Western Electric. It was later the site of the assembly of 51 or so Tucker automobiles (of Preston Tucker fame). In late 1951 and early 52 Studebaker again leased it for making parts for the Westinghouse J-47 jet engines. As in WWII these engines were actually assembled in the Chippewa Ave plant. No automobile production was ever considered for the Chicago or Ft Wayne plants.
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

http://www.homeandabroad.com/c/3/Sit...ing_visit.html

We should probably toss this one in as well from Chicago. The building was on 410 S. Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL. Originally it was used to assemble Studebaker's horse carriages, and was a factory and showroom, but it underwent a major renovation in 1898 and became an artist studio. It's also used for museums, galleries, restaurants, cafes, and shops.
                      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

The Aviation Divisions' plant in Ft. Wayne was refered to as "the Gear Plant". It is still standing today and is located at 4300 New Haven Avenue.
                        R2Andrea

Comment

If I remember right, the original Vernon plant was razed some years ago. The tilt-up structure that's replaced it retains nothing but the encompassing of the old street address. I was IN the original building in the early 80s and didn't evern realize it til a few years later. I'd known, of course, that Stude had a plant in Vernon, but when I made a sales call to a sheet metal fabricators operation one day - it never dawned on me that it might be the old Studebaker plant.
                          All I remember of the place is the red brick facade and the fact that the fabricator's operation only occupied about a quarter of the available floor space. The rest of the building was dark and vacant. This was about '83 or so.
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by R2Andy View Post
                            The Aviation Divisions' plant in Ft. Wayne was refered to as "the Gear Plant". It is still standing today and is located at 4300 New Haven Avenue.
                            Well then, I'll have to take your word about that Plant, because you're just 1 of only 3 people on this Forum who can go to work each day in a former Studebaker Aviation Division Plant!

Comment

Originally posted by R2Andy View Post
                              Well darn it!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X