What mode of travel to South Bend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What mode of travel to South Bend?

Me and the misses are traveling by train, this year to South Bend. We are starting out from Hutchinson Kansas.
    My question is there anything I should know about the trains.Never had the chance to use that new fangled
    contraption. We are also staying at the Inn of Saint Mary's. Tried the Doubletree and they said they where full.
    We weren't even going to try and make it, but the train just sounded like something I hadn't done.

I have always driven to South Bend. It is 750 miles one way for me. Years back, I drove straight through. Now, I make one overnight stop each way. This adds to the cost. This year, if I don't have a Studebaker or Avanti to drive out, I am considering flying. Your train idea sounds good to me. It takes longer than flying, but you don't have all of the hassle of security, waiting, confinement, etc. I would take the train from Poughkeepsie or the plane from Newburgh (not direct flight). The South Bend train station used to be across the street from where the SNM used to be. Where is the South Bend train station now?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      >>>The South Bend train station used to be across the street from where the SNM used to be. Where is the South Bend train station now?
      Approx. 1.5 miles due west of the "new" SNM ...approx. 2 miles due west of the SDC host hotel. And yes, you should still be concerned about "security!" In no way knocking South Bend ...every city this size has an area like this ...but you will find very few of us locals going to the SB-Amtrak Station ...after dark ...unarmed!!!

A better choice of "rail travel" for many coming to South Bend may be through Chicago and take the South Shore Railroad right into the South Bend Regional Transportation Center

http://www.flysbn.com/south_shore_train.php

...and for even more South Bend info...

http://www.visitsouthbend.com/press-and-media/fun-facts

Comment

At this point the plan is just like '07: Conversion Van with '60 Lark on the tow dolly. Linda and her mother and sister and kids will be along. Upon arrival I'll unload the Lark and park the dolly, and Linda and family will continue on in the van to Indy to see her family; the Lark will be my wheels around the IM, and hopefully we'll be able to get onto the Proving Ground track again Looking forward to it!
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

You would be better off taking Amtrak to the Niles Mich. depot which is not far over the state line, has a better schedule and is a beautiful station. Probably 20 minutes to South Bend.

Comment

Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
            You would be better off taking Amtrak to the Niles Mich. depot which is not far over the state line, has a better schedule and is a beautiful station. Probably 20 minutes to South Bend.
            Does the South Shore Railroad connect from Niles to South Bend (it would be a long walk with luggage <G>)? Maybe a taxi would make sense for that small hop.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

No, but if you take Amtrak to Chicago you would have to take a cab to the South Shore station, pay about $11 per person for a ticket and prepare for about a two hour ride because of all the stops. There isn't that much difference in distance between the Inn at Saint Mary's from the South bend depot and Niles depot. The depot in Niles is on a different line than S.B. and has more train traffic. My advice would be to take the train directly to Niles and call a fellow Stude member and tell him the beers on you. The South Shore is kind of neat being the last interurban electric train in the U.S. .

Comment

Sir, If you let me know when and where you wil be arriving I will personally make sure you have a ride to your hotel. That is a Chair's Promise

Comment

Originally posted by Samjoe View Post
                  Me and the misses are traveling by train, this year to South Bend. We are starting out from Hutchinson Kansas.
                  My question is there anything I should know about the trains.Never had the chance to use that new fangled
                  contraption. We are also staying at the Inn of Saint Mary's. Tried the Doubletree and they said they where full.
                  We weren't even going to try and make it, but the train just sounded like something I hadn't done.
                  Hey, I believe the Inn at St. Mary's also has a Courtesy Van like this at DoubleTree by Hilton and could pick you up on your arrival and drop you off at your departure location. Worth a try to ask them!!! It would sure save Mike a lot of running back & forth!!!
                  [/B]
                  Last edited by Welcome; 01-12-2012, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
                    No, but if you take Amtrak to Chicago you would have to take a cab to the South Shore station, pay about $11 per person for a ticket and prepare for about a two hour ride because of all the stops. There isn't that much difference in distance between the Inn at Saint Mary's from the South bend depot and Niles depot. The depot in Niles is on a different line than S.B. and has more train traffic. My advice would be to take the train directly to Niles and call a fellow Stude member and tell him the beers on you. The South Shore is kind of neat being the last interurban electric train in the U.S. .
                    Yesterday, I looked into air and train prices.
                    I am not at home, so I do not have the exact information with me, but I will give you a general result. Flying - about $1200, therefore out (the plus is the few hours to get there). AmTrak train to South Bend is direct (on one train). Amtrak train to Niles requires one or two train changes (two or three trains). The train to SB is about 15 hours. The train to Niles is about 18 hours, assuming connections are met. The train to Niles costs about $300 more than the train to SB. I think that it costs about $330 for SB. It will cost about $500 to drive (gas, tolls, lodging). I have always driven. I have driven it straight through, but now we require a stop. We only have old cars. At this point, we will probably drive one to SB. I haven't gotten answers to my shuttle questions (hours of operation, length of time for a loop, type of vehicle, ease of entrance/exit), so I do not know if that will be a viable option to having a car in SB.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary - look me up at the Zone Meet on Saturday and we can talk about yor travel plans. Pete Bishop
                      Peter Bishop
                      Director,
                      Northeast Zone

Comment

I'd like to bring this...
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	1929 Studebaker RV.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	1674859... but it ain't mine to bring.

Comment

Working...
                        X