Eye Candy 1/7/12: 50 Land Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye Candy 1/7/12: 50 Land Cruiser

Stude's biggest-ever bulletnose, seen parking at Stude Night at a cruise in Thornhill, Ontario, last summer.

S.

Bumper to bumper the longest post-war Studebaker and, on the highway, like driving your living room sofa; sorry I parted mine out when it was worth nothing rather than enjoying it for the past thirty years.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I think there's still one of these for sale near here (in southern Ontario), if it's of any interest...not in anywhere near the condition of George Christie's pictured car though! It was not that much better than a parts car when George found it, but it's a peach now.

S.

Comment

'Love it, Steve; the lens distortion is just right to make it look even longer than it already is!

A wonderful Studebaker land yacht, to be sure. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03086.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1671661I saw one near Everett On two years ago, it needed a lot of work then.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03079.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1671660

Comment

I once parked my '51 Land Cruiser beside my friend's '50 at a meet. We parked them so that the back bumpers were even. His stuck out in front about a foot and a half longer. That front is awesome!
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              I once parked my '51 Land Cruiser beside my friend's '50 at a meet. We parked them so that the back bumpers were even. His stuck out in front about a foot and a half longer. That front is awesome!
              The wheelbase alone is five inches longer on a 1950 LC than a 1951 LC. The front sheetmetal on a 1950 Commander/LC extends out quite far, as compared to a 1951. I do not have the lengths handy, but I think that 18 inches of extra length is a bit of an exageration.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That could very well be, but I thought we were discussing the relative lengths of Studebakers.........no need to mention products from the house of FoMoCo:-(
                Originally posted by studegary View Post
                The wheelbase alone is five inches longer on a 1950 LC than a 1951 LC. The front sheetmetal on a 1950 Commander/LC extends out quite far, as compared to a 1951. I do not have the lengths handy, but I think that 18 inches of extra length is a bit of an exageration.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                  That could very well be, but I thought we were discussing the relative lengths of Studebakers.........no need to mention products from the house of FoMoCo:-(
                  If this is supposed to be humor, I am sorry but I do not "get it". I am comparing a 1950 Studebaer Land Cruiser with a 1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary , sometimes I wonder about some people ????
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      OK...OK, I suppose I could be accused of a bit of exaggeration on the length, but, not the awesome part!
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        'Love it, Steve; the lens distortion is just right to make it look even longer than it already is!

A wonderful Studebaker land yacht, to be sure. BP
                        Lens distortion???? They ARE that long....I loved ours, and miss it dearly. Much more car than the 51's in every way (except power).
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Bulletnoses rule!!!!!

Comment

QUINTESSENTIAL STUDEBAKER!

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10,
                            '51 Commander Starlight,
                            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Working...
                            X