South Bend International Meet-Drags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend International Meet-Drags?

Is anyone in the South Bend/Oceola area planning to put together a drag race at the meet?

Ted

I've heard rumors, but nothing official. If they happen, they would be at the Oceola track. I hope they happen, I want to race Matt's wagon with my '40...
    Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 01-05-2012, 09:07 PM. Reason: can't type
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Ted, I was thinking about that last night. Will check into it.
      James
      sigpic

Comment

Remember, it's a great way to increase the value of your car and have fun doing it.
        Jim
        Often in error, never in doubt
        http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jlmccuan View Post
          Remember, it's a great way to increase the value of your car and have fun doing it.
          BUT ...Jim, it may have brought $60K (not just $49K) had it not been a Dragged ...that's loosing value in my book. Oh well, that unique Avanti's "mystic" is gone forever!

Comment

I had a blast at the drags at the 2007 South Bend meet. There was a line of Studebakers leaving the fairgrounds, and my granddad and I were in my '59 pickup, at the end of the line. Two Studes before us stopped at the gate, and by the time they had pulled out, the line was long gone. We followed the two cars for quite a while until they stopped at a gas station and asked why we were following them. We said "We're behind you because we don't know how to get to Osceola!" They came back with, "Oh, well.. We're headed to Utah!"

We managed to ask enough people and get directions, and we finally made it. It was pure fun. It was great to finally see Ted Harbit rocket down the 1/4, but it was almost just as fun watching Phil Harris in his Diesel car hauler race Gary Ash in his M5 pickup. They were timed with a sun dial. The car that I remember making the most passes was an unrestored '56 Packard hardtop with a 3 speed stick. Dick Steinkamp even made a few runs in S2D, his black Starliner.

Too bad all those guys devalued their cars. Pfft.. If that's the case, maybe George Krem will pay me to haul away his Challenger.
            Last edited by mbstude; 01-06-2012, 02:45 PM.

Comment

If something gets organized for Oceola I may bring the '41, as it now appears we won't be able to participate at the Orphan drags in May at Brown County,In. due to family visitors that week.
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Count me in. I'll even risk breaking something 2100 miles from home!

Pat
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  So.. I'll race you in a Super Lark..?
                  Only if I can use the Avanti!
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

I will plan on coming if they do,probably have to pick up George along the way.
                    Steve
                    36 Dictator cpe
                    36 ST.regis custom 2dr sedan R-2
                    37 Coupe express R-2
                    50 Champion convert
                    54 champion cpe
                    59 3/4 p/up 4wd
                    63 Custom R-2
                    63 GT hawk R-2 Motor Trend Hawk/Chicago Show Car
                    63 Avanti R-2
                    63 Avant1 R-2
                    64 Commander R-1
                    64 Challenger R-3
                    58 Packard hawk
                    64 Champ
                    2-63 Wagonaire's
                    62 E40 Transtar
                    55 3/4 T pickup
                    64 Daytona
                    Brand X :
                    70 Duster 340,56 Chevy Del Ray,49 Jeepster,58 Plymouth Belvedere,67 IH Travelall,58 IH Golden Anniversary

http://www.studebakersteve.com

Comment

We are planning on bringing both our 56J and our 63 R2 Daytona to South Bend, it would be fun to run it a few times........ the 63 R2 that is.
                      It is an addiction!

Comment

Originally posted by jbwhttail View Post
                        We are planning on bringing both our 56J and our 63 R2 Daytona to South Bend, it would be fun to run it a few times........ the 63 R2 that is.
                        You know the drill.. I'll wax the transmission on the '56 for a pass in the Lark against Ted.. I would be honored to lose a drag race against him.

Comment

I was there in 2002. I got to ride in the yelow POS!! What memories!!
                          Jamie McLeod
                          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                          1958 Commander "Christine"
                          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                          1955 Commander Sedan
                          1964 Champ
                          1960 Lark

Comment

I'd be willing to make the arrangements to run out at Osceola Dragway, but I doubt that I would be able to have time off of work early that day to be at the track to handle things then.
                            R2Andrea

Comment

What a great week that was!
                              Here's a pic I cherish... Steve and Jeff...Just havin' fun!

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
                              I was there in 2002. I got to ride in the yelow POS!! What memories!!

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X