No announcement yet.

Avanti by DC Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it is ugly AND an ugly copy of an ugly car....my brain hurts.

Comment

A new angle: about a thousand search engine hits say that they named this "Avanti" because a real Avanti figured prominently in the comic book adventures of Tintin, a couple of which were just made into a movie. Apparently Tintin (by a Belgian, not a Frenchman!), is very popular in India.

Any Tintin comic authorities out there? There must be some driving images floating around somewhere.

Comment

Can't speak for Avantis, but Studebakers did appear at least twice in the old Tintin strips...a circa-1948 coupe and a 53 Starliner iirc. The '48 was actually made into a toy/figurine item showing a flat being fixed on the car, which was one of the scenes in the comic...

Found a pic of the model, will try a link...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alain-mercier/446130499/

Et bien sur, tout a coup j'ai trouve une liste complete des voitures de la serie Tintin...voila les deux voitures Studebaker...

http://dardel.info/tintin/ListeAutos.html

(Pardon my French...!)

...Boyyyy are there ever a lot of cars in Tintin...all of them carefully rendered, even the ones that (like the '53 Stude) only appear incidentally! There does not seem ever to have been an Avanti in Tintin, though, so the Studebaker link with the Indian-built midengine thingy is tenuous indeed. If we're ever to see the name Studebaker reappear, I expect the revival will originate in either India or China, two nations with large auto industries, giant domestic markets, and sooner or later the desire to access still more markets via export. Personally...I hope such a revival does not happen. Let the history of our favourite marque be just that!

S.
        Last edited by Steve T; 01-07-2012, 04:35 PM.

Comment

[sigh]
          Then I'm off to correct about a thousand articles, reviews, and blog posts.
          As Prof Schickele put it, Iphigenia never was in Brooklyn.
          XKCD: Someone was wrong on the Internet!

So it is ugly, and a copy of an ugly car, and has fraudulent literary precedents.
          Off to a great start.

Comment

Ah, but Iphigenia did herself in Brooklyn find; she was in a market, and all around her, fish were dying...

PDQ Bach rocks. (Sheesh, how's that for thread drift...)

Actually, reading the AutoBlog article, I do see one conceptual parallel between the DC Avanti and Studebaker's original: the proposal is to use a fairly small-displacement engine, turbocharged to make up some of the horsepower gap to other cars of like genre. That's not so far from the blown 289 in the original Avanti, at a time when engines were headed north of 400ci in many high-performance cars. (And, truth told, even the original Avanti was something of a love-it-or-hate-it design, even if quite a long way prettier than DC's car.)

S.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
              I do see one conceptual parallel between the DC Avanti and Studebaker's original: the proposal is to use a fairly small-displacement engine, turbocharged to make up some of the horsepower gap to other cars of like genre. That's not so far from the blown 289 in the original Avanti, at a time when engines were headed north of 400ci in many high-performance cars. (And, truth told, even the original Avanti was something of a love-it-or-hate-it design, even if quite a long way prettier than DC's car.)
              S.
              You're correct on a number of points, but this car is a bit more upmarket from the original car whiich, while expensive compared to family sedans of the period, was still affordable...and constructed out of "off the shelf parts", which kept it affordable.

If they can sell a supercar look alike for $30,000 (as opposed to the $60K in the article) they might find a market, it it's more that that, it wil sell to just the upper class of India. I don't see many folks not buying a Mercedes SLC, Porsche 911 or BMW in favor of an unknown.
              Last edited by JBOYLE; 01-07-2012, 08:52 PM.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

They have an interesting web site. http://www.dcdesign.co.in/dcd/Merc300.html
                sigpic
                Jack, in Montana

Comment

certainly fugly!!! the front grille is the second turn-off. the first is calling it "avanti".

i've seen some C7 Corvette "concepts" with a similar treatment, especially the headlights, but not mid-engined...
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                  X