Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

64 Red Daytona Convertable/sold by Ray Tanner Motors/Phoenix AZ

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 64 Red Daytona Convertable/sold by Ray Tanner Motors/Phoenix AZ

    Does anyone own this car or know if it still exists?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

  • #2
    Serial Number?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

    Comment


    • #3
      Mine was sold in N.C. , Now how it got from there to a Junk yard in N.J. is a story I would love to hear , Ed

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Serial Number?
        I have no idea. I remember seeing it on the show room floor at Ray Tanner Motors, North Central Ave, Phoenix in the fall of 63. I wanted it so bad I almost wet my pants. Being a junior in High School it was obviously out of the question, but now that I'm an old guy with a few bucks in the bank maybe I could make it happen. (The car that is, not wetting my pants).
        Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
          I have no idea. I remember seeing it on the show room floor at Ray Tanner Motors, North Central Ave, Phoenix in the fall of 63.
          Lou: Seriouisly, think real hard: About when in the fall did you see it?

          We may be able to narrow it down to a specific serial number, but the more accurate you can be as to month and time of them month, the easier will be the search. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

          Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

          G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

          Comment


          • #6
            What Bob really wants to know is if the car had a battery holder

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
              What Bob really wants to know is if the car had a battery holder
              Sheesh...is it that obvious? <GGG> BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

              Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

              G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Lou: Seriouisly, think real hard: About when in the fall did you see it?

                We may be able to narrow it down to a specific serial number, but the more accurate you can be as to month and time of them month, the easier will be the search. BP
                Again, I must respond with "no idea"...it may even have even been in the spring of '64. With production ending in December, I doubt that he would have had more than one red one. Is there a way to get a list of '64s that went to this dealership?
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                  I have no idea. I remember seeing it on the show room floor at Ray Tanner Motors, North Central Ave, Phoenix in the fall of 63. I wanted it so bad I almost wet my pants. Being a junior in High School it was obviously out of the question, but now that I'm an old guy with a few bucks in the bank maybe I could make it happen. (The car that is, not wetting my pants).

                  Apparently the Ray Tanner building is still on Central Ave.
                  --------------------------------------

                  Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

                  Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

                  "Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Lou: Just for grins, I carefully gleaned the July 1986 Turning Wheels listing, by serial number, of all 1964 South-Bend-built Daytona convertibles. There were no red convertibles shipped to Arizona, much less Phoenix.

                    I'm not doubting that Ray Tanner had that one on the floor that you saw, but research becomes difficult to determine what it is because of the above finding.

                    Possible explations include:

                    1. The Build Order was scheduled for another dealer, changed at the last minute to go to Ray Tanner, and that notation was not made on all the copies of the P.O.

                    2. It was sent to another dealer out of state and Ray Tanner dealer-traded for it.

                    3. It was built in Hamilton. The July 1986 Turning Wheels reports only South-Bend built convertibles. There's no reason Ray Tanner could not have already ordered the car and the order was filled by Hamilton Assembly after January 1, 1964.

                    BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

                    Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

                    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Lou: Just for grins, I carefully gleaned the July 1986 Turning Wheels listing, by serial number, of all 1964 South-Bend-built Daytona convertibles. There were no red convertibles shipped to Arizona, much less Phoenix.

                      I'm not doubting that Ray Tanner had that one on the floor that you saw, but research becomes difficult to determine what it is because of the above finding.

                      Possible explations include:

                      1. The Build Order was scheduled for another dealer, changed at the last minute to go to Ray Tanner, and that notation was not made on all the copies of the P.O.

                      2. It was sent to another dealer out of state and Ray Tanner dealer-traded for it.

                      3. It was built in Hamilton. The July 1986 Turning Wheels reports only South-Bend built convertibles. There's no reason Ray Tanner could not have already ordered the car and the order was filled by Hamilton Assembly after January 1, 1964.

                      BP
                      Bob, all of what you say is so true (as usual!). Carl E. Filer Co. in Greenville, PA sold a Bordeaux Red '64 convertible, 289 with 4-speed, white top and black bucket seats, and when I went to look at the production order, it said "Buffalo, NY". Apparently a dealer trade, although Ed doesn't recall that they traded "that far". That's the beauty of the museum having the retail sales cards, showing to whom and where the car was actually sold, for '61 and later cars (additionally-detailed cards available Sept. '63 and later).
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Lou, do you remember if the car had bucket seats or bench that would change it a little I had a red one with black bench seat and 289 with auto and power steering, it came from NY I was told and when I sold it it went to Oregon and still there I think, think back real hard every thing you can remember might help do the imposable.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                          Apparently the Ray Tanner building is still on Central Ave.
                          Last time I was in Phoenix it was still standing. (two years ago)
                          Lou Van Anne
                          62 Champ
                          64 R2 GT Hawk
                          79 Avanti II

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            Lou: Seriouisly, think real hard: About when in the fall did you see it?

                            We may be able to narrow it down to a specific serial number, but the more accurate you can be as to month and time of them month, the easier will be the search. BP
                            I've thought a bit more about it and am now convinced it was the fall of '63. (I was a senior, not a junior) and remember being disappointed Christmas morning becasue I didn't receive it as a Christmas gift...not that there was a snow ball's chance in Phoenix of that ever happening).
                            Lou Van Anne
                            62 Champ
                            64 R2 GT Hawk
                            79 Avanti II

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                              Lou, do you remember if the car had bucket seats or bench that would change it a little I had a red one with black bench seat and 289 with auto and power steering, it came from NY I was told and when I sold it it went to Oregon and still there I think, think back real hard every thing you can remember might help do the imposable.
                              Can't remember what type of seats...seems to me it was red with a black interior, (but now I'm not too sure, as I think more about it, the '64 Daytona of my dreams was red with a black interior, bucket seats, p/s, p/b, a/c, am/fm, 4 speed and Avanti powered).
                              Last edited by Lou Van Anne; 01-07-2012, 03:48 PM.
                              Lou Van Anne
                              62 Champ
                              64 R2 GT Hawk
                              79 Avanti II

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X