Transtar IFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transtar IFS

I would like to put independent front suspension, as well as disc brakes and power steering on a 1957 Transtar. I'm sure I can get new parts to convert this but I'm wondering if anyone has any information on how to do this with parts from a Volare or whatever. Any advice would be great.

Welcome to SDC and to the SDC Forum, you will find pleanty of Truck people here and also on the Studebaker Truck Website found in the Links on our Main Page.

The Diplomat, Fifth Avenue, Aspen, Volare cross torsion bar suspension front clip has been done on Stude. Trucks, maybe someone will remember who, what Post etc. a Search using the Search mode at the top of the page may work.

There are also Camero or other GM transplant front ends that can work.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Much simpler is the Ford Aerostar conversion. An ex-member used to sell a kit, but it's not anything difficult to build. Take a look:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ar-conversions
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Or just ask around and find one of the several project trucks on which an IFS conversion and engine swap was begun but never completed. They're out there, probably cheaper, if you promise not to tell.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

My last two Studebaker Transtar type pickups had a GM front clip. One was from a Camaro and the other from a Trans Am (basically the same). This included the suspension, power disc brakes, power steering, V8 (350 & 400) and A/C (on one). I have also owned a Transtar with Studebaker suspension, brakes, steering and V8. The GM conversions drove like they were a long wheelbase Camaro.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I believe Fatman has a front end designed specifically for Studebaker trucks.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I have the Aerostar conversion kit and an Aerostar front axle assy. I'm hoping to get them under Pete sometime this year. Sure looks like the easiest way to go to me.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I seriously debated changing mine out on my 2R10. I decided to stay more old school now. But I were gong to change mine I would use this kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-F...item2c5d9abbd5

All there and a good heavy duty kit. Not bolt in, but I think the easiest conversion yet.
                PS: I owned an Aerostar and you could could not pay me to use one of their front ends. I went thru 2 racks, 2 PS pumps, and rotor and pads WAY too often. A big reason why I will NEVER own another FwORD. But that is just me.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. It seems to me that the aftermarket may be the way to go.

Comment

Looked at several articles on the net about swapping a Jaguar front suspension into an older Ford truck. The suspension unbolts from the frame. I will keep my eyes open for a super deal on a tight complete 79 to 86 XJ6 just for kicks.

RB
                    53s
                    57 Transtar
                    64 Datona 4 door (Wife's car Lucy)

Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture in the Geographic center of TN
                    My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                    sigpic
                    Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                    in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Google search (F100 Solid Axle to Independent) Nice detailed article with pictures. Although I would get the frontend out of a known good unit.

RB
                      53s
                      57 Transtar
                      64 Datona (Wife's car Lucy)

Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture in the Geographic center of TN
                      My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                      sigpic
                      Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                      in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Keep us posted, we love project pics, specially those of us who stink at posting them...

Comment

Hello Allan
                          what did you figure out for the IFS. I am thinking about doing the same. I was considering the Fatman option. Sdude on the forum used one.

Comment

Working...
                          X