Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 Studebakers

How many 66's were built.

I know where a 4 door is that is fairly straight that I am not really interested in. If it was a decent 2 door then I might have considered it. How much interest is there in the 66's?
    David L

8935 I think.... Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but that should be close. Personally I like the 64-66 Studes better than the rest, but that is just me. To answer your question, I doubt their is alot of interest in a 66 4 door. If it's a V8 Cruiser it will be better than a 6cylinder Commander. Either way, neither is as valuable as they should be............. That's just my opinion.
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

W5
      Where is it ?
      What model is it?
      What is the condition?
      What does it have for an engine?
      What is the price?
      sigpic
      55 President Deluxe
      64 Commander
      66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

1966: 5686 four door sedans, 2321 two door sedans and 940 wagons for a total of 8947.
        Last edited by studegary; 12-29-2011, 04:39 PM. Reason: extra letter
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It is in California. It is a V8. If someone is interested I can get more info.
          Last edited by 64Avanti; 12-29-2011, 05:03 PM.
          David L

Comment

No harm in getting more information - they're not making them anymore.
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

The 65 and 66 Studes are popular parts cars, as they have the GM engines and the Borg-Warner transmissions, as well as the better rear ends. All the parts required for a bolt-in small block swap are all there. On their own, as cars, they are not as desirable as many of the other years.

Comment

I love my 66s, but Im not a big fan of the grilles. I did change out the grille in the 66 thats multiple colors.
                Tom
                sigpic

Comment

In relation to Wacker's remarks about not being popular - I wonder how long before they will become popular as the Last Studebakers and folks will regret destroying them for parts? At least some are still around to enjoy.
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I know from first hand that many in the club look down on the 65-66 because of the McKinnon engines but I find these cars more unique than others because of it and the fact that these were the last of the Company and in limited production. Dont get me wrong I love all the Studebaker cars and trucks some more than others and mostly the postwar cars, But I do LOVE the sound and performance of the Stude V8s.
                    Tom
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by whacker View Post
                      The 65 and 66 Studes are popular parts cars, as they have the GM engines and the Borg-Warner transmissions, as well as the better rear ends. All the parts required for a bolt-in small block swap are all there. On their own, as cars, they are not as desirable as many of the other years.
                      Tell me about it! My 1962 Lark has the 283 engine pedestals and firewall mounted throttle linkage from a 1965-66 donor car............and, those parts turned what could have been a hideously difficult 350 Chevy swap into almost 100% plug 'n' play. I did fab up a tranny crossmember though, hindsight being 20/20, I probably should have procured a 1965-66 piece and modify it to fit a TH350. Oh well.
                      --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
                        I know from first hand that many in the club look down on the 65-66 because of the McKinnon engines but I find these cars more unique than others because of it and the fact that these were the last of the Company and in limited production. Dont get me wrong I love all the Studebaker cars and trucks some more than others and mostly the postwar cars, But I do LOVE the sound and performance of the Stude V8s.
                        Tom
                        In all fairness: those 'cursed' McKinnon V8 cars have probably helped to keep many an older Stude on the road for a multitude of reasons.
                        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

If it was a 2 door I would pick it up and put a Studebaker engine in it. If it had been a wagon I would have picket it up and kept a Chevy in it.
                          David L

Comment

Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
                            Tom
                            Years ago when I bought my 66, I was hunting some part for it...... When I told the vendor what the car was ,his reply was "oh, you've got one of those with that damn shivvy in it"

We became friends anyway.......
                            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
                            X