Last Studebaker Dealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
    See as how this thread started a long time ago I may have already responded somewhere along the line. There was a Studebaker dealer in Laurinburg, North Carolina who still had untitled "new" Studebakers on his lot into the 1970's.
    Owen Motor Co, Laurinburg, NC
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post

Owen Motor Co, Laurinburg, NC
      That's it! Thanks for posting this.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Glad to help
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2128F5BD-FB73-4F14-B5F0-79D2B55F0519.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1862977 Here’s the “Receipt” for my ex-Burlingame 1964 Cruiser. I purchased from these folks in 1973. They were told by Mr. Clayton that it was one of the cars he bought from the Studebaker Executive fleet. He told them that he made sure the car was trailered from SB to New Jersey, he forbade it being driven on the road. When it arrived, it was displayed on a rotary showroom display. The Gormans bought the car, rather traded in a newly purchased 1964 hawk because she found it very hard to get in and out of. They sold the Cruiser because then in 1973 they were moving to a seniors facility and could take only one of their cars. They chose their turquoise w/white vinyl top 1969 Chrysler Imperial 2dr,......Anyway, here’s a Clayton Motors “Receipt”

Comment

The "Shipper" from the Studebaker National Museum would show some interesting details about that very well equipped Cruiser.

I am talking about the Corp. ownership in the "Executive Fleet" and the very late retail sale after U.S. production stopped.

Please explain what "ex Burlingame" means. There was a Studebaker Corp. Zone Office and Parts Warehouse in Burlingame, Calif. for the Northern CA area, you being on the East Coast, I am thinking that is not what it means.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 10-28-2020, 10:15 AM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              The "Shipper" from the Studebaker National Museum would show some interesting details about that very well equipped Cruiser.

I am talking about the Corp. ownership in the "Executive Fleet" and the very late retail sale after U.S. production stopped.

Please explain what "ex Burlingame" means. There was a Studebaker Corp. Zone Office and Parts Warehouse in Burlingame, Calif. for the Northern CA area, you being on the East Coast, I am thinking that is not what it means.
              I assume that it is referring to Byers A. Burlingame, President of Studebaker.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                I assume that it is referring to Byers A. Burlingame, President of Studebaker.
                I believe you are correct with a 1973 photo of the car here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....l-that-hair-go

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....urlingames-car

Craig
                Last edited by 8E45E; 10-28-2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	B84D6ACE-1178-45E1-9427-66332E968FEC.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1863048 ......yes maybe a Museum rep could weigh in.
                  Last edited by 64V19816; 10-28-2020, 04:38 PM.

Comment

That looks like the Production Order, and it SURE is Loaded!
                    It has VERY close to the same Rare Options and Accessories that my '64 Daytona Hardtop has, but being a Hardtop the Burlingame CA Zone Office Manager ordered Bucket Seats with Console and Blue Full Vinyl.
                    I doubt Broadcloth would have been used on Non-Bench Seats, and also it was Cruiser only.

The Corp. Cars rarely seem to have those HUGE '63/'64 AFB 4 barrel Carbs. my 289 doesn't either, maybe they were true to their Conservative, Economical History.
                    Mine even has a Day/Night Rear View Mirror, plus all the Acc. yours has without A/C, but with a Power Shift Automatic.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'm accustomed to seeing an actual name after "TAG:" on production orders of Studes of that era built for execs or dignitaries. I'm guessing that after Dec. 9, 1963, it was felt that tagging a car for Byers Burlingame wasn't probably a good idea if you know what I mean.
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

The paperwork on the '64 Avanti ( R 5636 ) my Dad gave me shows " sold Byers Burlingame " which in turn went to the Mercedes lawyer Royall Victor. The Avanti left South Bend on Jan. 10, 1964. It was sent to Englewood Cliffs, NJ. I believe they had a corporate office there as well as Studebaker. Maybe it was a gift for brokering the merger-who knows? The car is loaded-no blower but A/C, windows. FM and tilt wheel!
                        Rob in PA.

Comment

Working...
                        X