• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not take the easy route?
    Relax and don't do anything.
    Be the bigger person.
    Buy one for yourself & enjoy it.

Life is too short to get bent out of shape over something so small.
    What's the big deal?
    It's not like you make your living from taking pictures.

Sure you might have some rights...but why bother?
    Have you been injured?
    I think not.

Enjoy the Meet!

Comment

Be the bigger person.

What's the big deal?

Have you been injured?
      I think not.

Enjoy the Meet!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by carl

Be the bigger person.

What's the big deal?

Have you been injured?
        I think not.
        You obviously missed the part about these two being competitors in the T-shirt business. So in this case, yes, he is making a living off of the pictures and the shirts. Licensing is a big part of being in that type of business. The rights belong to the picture taker. I personally would try to settle for a cut (25% to 50%) of the profits. Of course stealing from TW could involve other issues as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by carl

Be the bigger person.

What's the big deal?

Have you been injured?
          I think not.
          You obviously missed the part about these two being competitors in the T-shirt business. So in this case, yes, he is making a living off of the pictures and the shirts. Licensing is a big part of being in that type of business. The rights belong to the picture taker. I personally would try to settle for a cut (25% to 50%) of the profits. Of course stealing from TW could involve other issues as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Yes I did miss that he's a T shirt vendor

In that case, I'd be ticked off too.
            I'd ask for some profit-sharing.

Comment

Yes I did miss that he's a T shirt vendor

In that case, I'd be ticked off too.
              I'd ask for some profit-sharing.

Comment

I was Pepsico's Chief Corporate Photographer, and yes I made a living off my photos. I am just annoyed that a copyrighted photo of mine was used by someone to sell a product.

I pay my artists either a flat fee for use of their design(s) or a percentage of wholesale and or retail. You don't think that my Bugsport shirt art was given to me? The shirt I made for South Bend with all the flying Studebakers hovering over the proving grounds was cleared with Ted Bastien before I went ahead and made it. Most artwork I buy is single purpose. That means I am allowed to make shirts, but cannot make posters.

BTW, I did buy the shirt. He was really an "airhead" when I said that I took the photo......it did not register with him.

We just spent three weeks clearing the use of the Packard Crest/Logo to make shirts, and embroidered jackets for the South Bend Meet. Sure I coud have done it, and maybe nobody would have said anything, but until I got permission from the various clubs, not one stitch was sewn nor was one shirt printed.

BG

Comment

I was Pepsico's Chief Corporate Photographer, and yes I made a living off my photos. I am just annoyed that a copyrighted photo of mine was used by someone to sell a product.

I pay my artists either a flat fee for use of their design(s) or a percentage of wholesale and or retail. You don't think that my Bugsport shirt art was given to me? The shirt I made for South Bend with all the flying Studebakers hovering over the proving grounds was cleared with Ted Bastien before I went ahead and made it. Most artwork I buy is single purpose. That means I am allowed to make shirts, but cannot make posters.

BTW, I did buy the shirt. He was really an "airhead" when I said that I took the photo......it did not register with him.

We just spent three weeks clearing the use of the Packard Crest/Logo to make shirts, and embroidered jackets for the South Bend Meet. Sure I coud have done it, and maybe nobody would have said anything, but until I got permission from the various clubs, not one stitch was sewn nor was one shirt printed.

BG

Comment

Tom - Valrico, FL
                    [/quote]

Bill - I agree with Tom, being firm but cool (taking the high road) will always stand you in good stead. Hopefully with the TW folks help this can be resolved and this fellow will be "educated".[^]

Mark
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander
                    Zone Coordinator
                    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Tom - Valrico, FL
                      [/quote]

Bill - I agree with Tom, being firm but cool (taking the high road) will always stand you in good stead. Hopefully with the TW folks help this can be resolved and this fellow will be "educated".[^]

Mark
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander
                      Zone Coordinator
                      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Why not just have them add YOUR NAME to the shirt as the car owner and
                        the photographer, they should be able to silk screen that onto the
                        shirt either on the front or back. That becomes free advertising for
                        YOU - since you are competitiors!

Tom

PS : maybe an Email address for more information.[]

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Why not just have them add YOUR NAME to the shirt as the car owner and
                          the photographer, they should be able to silk screen that onto the
                          shirt either on the front or back. That becomes free advertising for
                          YOU - since you are competitiors!

Tom

PS : maybe an Email address for more information.[]

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Tell him to sell all the shirts to you at or below cost,to avoid going to court.

LaSalle,Il
                            61Hawk
                            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Tell him to sell all the shirts to you at or below cost,to avoid going to court.

LaSalle,Il
                              61Hawk
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by A1956GoldenHawk

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

What has me bent is that this is a competitor of mine, and in their infinite stupidity used the photo I provided to TW's. All the shirts on their table are photos taken off the covers of TW's.
                                At the bottom of the box around the table of contents on page 3 of every issue are the words "Turning Wheels [copyright synbol] 200x by the Studebaker Drivers Club"

That's all that's needed. All of the contents are SDC copyrighted material and cannot be used without permission. That's the law. Theoretically, if Bill had SOLD his photo to SDC, there would have been language in their contract about whether he could use it again without SDC permission. However, SDC does not go after members using their own material, especially since most are not paid for the stuff in the first place. Larry Swanson is the publications director, and is also in charge of SDC's copyrights and trademarks. He is the one who should be consulted.

Skip Lackie
                                Washington DC
                                Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                                X