• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Avanti Studebaker XUV

Where is this vehicle today?

http://hooniverse.com/2011/11/24/a-h...tudebaker-xuv/

Probably in a warehouse in Mexico.
    It was just a fiberglass shell over a 3/4 ton Ford, you know.
    I saw it in Villa Rica, GA when they were doing some computer graphic design work (measuring it by placing dots all over it).
    When you looked inside, all you saw were 2x4's covered in fiberglas mat... Real crude on the inside.

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff your right about the shell just sitting on a rolling chassis. I remember seeing it at the Chicago Auto Show and thought WTH is this all about! also the troubles they had with the Hummer company.
      Tom
      sigpic

Comment

I thought the Hummer squabble was marketing genius.
        Get GM to threaten to sue you, grab all the headlines, and then show it off anyways.
        Typical corporate foot stomping...
        Now... If it were in Chicago today.... The political GM connection (in Washington AND Chicago) probably would have killed it off right away.

Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
        Jeff your right about the shell just sitting on a rolling chassis. I remember seeing it at the Chicago Auto Show and thought WTH is this all about! also the troubles they had with the Hummer company.
        Tom

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

A more advanced version complete with interior was last seen in Cancun early part of this year (2011). I believe it was fully drive able but needed a lot finishing work especially dash and components. All tolled I believe there were at least three prototypes "built" to various stages. Hope this helps.

John H
          John Hull

Comment

Does the Cancun Mexico assets contain any tooling for the original Studebaker Avanti?
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

If it is in Cancun, the best use I can see is for amphibious use. A few decades of coral would at least make it useful.
              Andy
              62 GT

Comment

Sort of like the Avanti 'Limo' that was built to shuttle the marks, er... guests.. to the ponzi scheme resort/timeshare facility, huh...

Originally posted by Avantict View Post
                A more advanced version complete with interior was last seen in Cancun early part of this year (2011). I believe it was fully drive able but needed a lot finishing work especially dash and components. All tolled I believe there were at least three prototypes "built" to various stages. Hope this helps.

John H

Jeff

Comment

The few times I toured the Villa Rica facility, I never saw any 1963/4 tooling (molds) at all.
                  Did see some Ohio stuff (4 door Avanti molds) stuffed into rows collecting dust.
                  Don't know what actually made the trip from Georgia to Mexico,
                  but I'd bet a chalupa nothing went down there that didn't have to do with the 'then' current production.
                  But that's a swag.
                  Jeff

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                  Does the Cancun Mexico assets contain any tooling for the original Studebaker Avanti?

Jeff

Comment

Any time I hear or read about someone who's going to bring out a totally new auto company, I take that with a grain of salt. It's an overwhelming task for anyone or any company to do all the grunt work just to get a company going. There's all the financing, or more importantly, getting the necessary financing to just get started.
                    It's nice to think of a new vehicle with the Studebaker name coming out, but I'm not holding my breath.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                      Did see some Ohio stuff (4 door Avanti molds) stuffed into rows collecting dust.
                      Unless there was more than one set, they are now in storage in MN.

Craig

Comment

Most, if not all, of the remaining Avanti tooling was sold off at the auction in Youngstown years ago. The New Avanti Motor Corp. (or whatever name they were using at the time) had no interest in the pre '97 cars or parts. Much of the tooling/production equipment was bought by scrappers and was destroyed.
                        R2Andrea

Comment

email LTCRP@Q.COM for photo of finished product.

Comment

Some one emailed me for a photo of the finished product, I sent requested photo, Has it been posted?? If so where?

Comment

This was just a stock pic from the Avanti Motorcar files.

Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker xuv (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1671632

Originally posted by Retired View Post
                              Some one emailed me for a photo of the finished product, I sent requested photo, Has it been posted?? If so where?

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X