Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a Camcorder .. MiniDV? MiniDVD? Hard drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Camcorder .. MiniDV? MiniDVD? Hard drive?

I am looking for a camcorder to take some video of the Avanti doing a few
    stops from 60 mph and maybe a burnout or two[]. My wife wants it to
    do some video of our two "special needs" kitties we adopted. Guess who it
    is REALLY for?

"Duce" is the large male on the left, and "Izzie" is the female on the
    right. Duce I found at work, someone had thrown him from a car on the
    freeway that shares our rear chainlink fence. He was just a little
    thing, but had strong lungs. He is paralyzed in the rear spine, & had
    to have one rear leg amputated. The other one he can only move at the
    hip. He doesnt even know there is a problem, and has built up his two
    front legs massively, and "runs" pretty fast. He also can articulate
    his front legs to grab around things - such as my wifes neck for a hug.

Izzie we just recently got, she was hit by a car, and looks like Duce's
    sister. We were worried they might fight, but they get along great!

She has a pin in the right rear leg, and her right front leg had to be
    amputated because it was too mangled to save. She is still learning
    what she can and can not do.

My budget for this is under 300 bucks. I have pretty much decided on
    a Canon MiniDV 800 or 850 camcorder. I am leaning toward the 850 to
    get a couple extra features, though the 800 has the ability to use an
    external mic it seems (though I dont know if I would ever use it). Is
    there anything I should look out for? MiniDV has been around for a
    while now, seems to be a good platform, my original thought was to get
    a Sony Digicam - like my Inlaws (so we can run the 4 tapes we have in
    storage of the wedding and honeymoon) but it looks like ONLY the Sony
    uses those tapes .. that might be a problem eventually.

I'm not too happy with Sony, due to that virus they put in their music
    CDs last year, but I have been happy with Canon products.

Thoughts?

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Tom, all cats are special needs because they are all brain damaged (my two are, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it ).

This is Max. He is almost 19. I've had him since Reagan was in office. He's suffering from renal failure and probably won't be around by Christmas. But for now, he's still reasonably spry. He likes trying to type on the computer during the Studebaker Chat on Monday nights (darn cat! ).

This is Trouble. She is now 3. I'm a firm believer that a pet will name itself. This is no exception as she gets into any and everything. She's also a big lap cat. She was found under a discarded mattress by a friend of mine as a kitten. My buddy took her two brothers.

As for the camcorder, you have to make the decision based on what you plan to do with it. These come with so many bells and whistles that you'll never use, I'd tend to go with lower priced units anyway. They'll all transfer recorded material to a computer to make CD's with and most will take stills as well. You need to make your purchase based on what needs you have.

I will say this; if you plan on using this inside the car, try to get one that will have wide angle and automatic stability control to get the picture and focus from bouncing all over. Good luck and have fun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Tom, all cats are special needs because they are all brain damaged (my two are, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it ).

This is Max. He is almost 19. I've had him since Reagan was in office. He's suffering from renal failure and probably won't be around by Christmas. But for now, he's still reasonably spry. He likes trying to type on the computer during the Studebaker Chat on Monday nights (darn cat! ).

This is Trouble. She is now 3. I'm a firm believer that a pet will name itself. This is no exception as she gets into any and everything. She's also a big lap cat. She was found under a discarded mattress by a friend of mine as a kitten. My buddy took her two brothers.

As for the camcorder, you have to make the decision based on what you plan to do with it. These come with so many bells and whistles that you'll never use, I'd tend to go with lower priced units anyway. They'll all transfer recorded material to a computer to make CD's with and most will take stills as well. You need to make your purchase based on what needs you have.

I will say this; if you plan on using this inside the car, try to get one that will have wide angle and automatic stability control to get the picture and focus from bouncing all over. Good luck and have fun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Yes .. widescreen is required and both have that ability. Sorry to
        hear about your cat. We lost our Kallie to Renal Failure a year ago
        TODAY. Wife had her for 17 years, and though I know that all owners
        think that their pet is special, Kallie was amazingly smart. I used
        to be a dog person, and hated cats, but Kallie changed my mind. That
        is "special" also. We have found that Duce is quite smart also, but
        Izzie is pretty dumb.

Both camcorders also have stability control, but I read that its just
        a pixel reduction and hurt picture quality.

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Yes .. widescreen is required and both have that ability. Sorry to
          hear about your cat. We lost our Kallie to Renal Failure a year ago
          TODAY. Wife had her for 17 years, and though I know that all owners
          think that their pet is special, Kallie was amazingly smart. I used
          to be a dog person, and hated cats, but Kallie changed my mind. That
          is "special" also. We have found that Duce is quite smart also, but
          Izzie is pretty dumb.

Both camcorders also have stability control, but I read that its just
          a pixel reduction and hurt picture quality.

Tom

Comment

I've had several camcorders; currently have a digital (hard drive) type.

Problem for me with the mini-disc is capacity; about a half-hour each. Depending on what you use it for, this may not be an issue. But we tend to record in clips over several days on vacations, and don't want to stop to change recording media. This one holds 4 hours, which was enough room for our an entire week at Disney World- and I record plenty! Then you can use the provided software to produce movies with tons of editing tools, effects, background music, whatever. Downside is, we had an awful time learning how to produce[}] But once you get it figured out, it's pretty neat. The camcorder itself, however, couldn't be easier to use- and high quality video.

Spend a little time at a place like Best Buy, where you can actually handle and try the different types and models, whether you buy there or not.

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

I've had several camcorders; currently have a digital (hard drive) type.

Problem for me with the mini-disc is capacity; about a half-hour each. Depending on what you use it for, this may not be an issue. But we tend to record in clips over several days on vacations, and don't want to stop to change recording media. This one holds 4 hours, which was enough room for our an entire week at Disney World- and I record plenty! Then you can use the provided software to produce movies with tons of editing tools, effects, background music, whatever. Downside is, we had an awful time learning how to produce[}] But once you get it figured out, it's pretty neat. The camcorder itself, however, couldn't be easier to use- and high quality video.

Spend a little time at a place like Best Buy, where you can actually handle and try the different types and models, whether you buy there or not.

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

Robert makes a lot of good points about the media. A hard drive is great if you can find a disc that will last as long as the battery does. My reasoning on the stability has far more to do with the car. I used an older units while racing in the SCCA. The first didn't have wide angle. It was OK as far as looking out the windshield, but wide angle allowed you to see the guages as well. Stability keeps the picture from shaking all over the place.

When I say the cats are brain damaged, I mean this in a good way. Max was my first cat and he's extremely smart. He's very good at communicating what he wants. A friend put on the hard sell to take him in 1988, and on the 3rd pitch, I brought him home. I've already made arrangements with the vet behind me to make a 'house call' when the time comes. When the seizures start, it'll be time to make the call.

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Robert makes a lot of good points about the media. A hard drive is great if you can find a disc that will last as long as the battery does. My reasoning on the stability has far more to do with the car. I used an older units while racing in the SCCA. The first didn't have wide angle. It was OK as far as looking out the windshield, but wide angle allowed you to see the guages as well. Stability keeps the picture from shaking all over the place.

When I say the cats are brain damaged, I mean this in a good way. Max was my first cat and he's extremely smart. He's very good at communicating what he wants. A friend put on the hard sell to take him in 1988, and on the 3rd pitch, I brought him home. I've already made arrangements with the vet behind me to make a 'house call' when the time comes. When the seizures start, it'll be time to make the call.

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Yah, I was looking at the MiniDVD first, but the 30 minute record time
                    was frustrating, and the 'record once' kinda sucked. The MiniDV tape
                    has a 60-90 minute record time, and you can rewind.

Tom

Comment

Yah, I was looking at the MiniDVD first, but the 30 minute record time
                      was frustrating, and the 'record once' kinda sucked. The MiniDV tape
                      has a 60-90 minute record time, and you can rewind.

Tom

Comment

What is this? Cat Fancy Magazine?
                        I have a cat ([u]a free cat</u>) available to someone who wants one.
                        She's fixed.
                        Black Smoke Tortie Persian
                        Real high end snooty breed of cat.
                        Smudge isn't snooty, but is a friendly cat that asks little of anyone.
                        We named her 'Smudge' because that's what she looked like when we found her.
                        She's a georgeous cat.
                        I want to find her a good home.
                        Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

What is this? Cat Fancy Magazine?
                          I have a cat ([u]a free cat</u>) available to someone who wants one.
                          She's fixed.
                          Black Smoke Tortie Persian
                          Real high end snooty breed of cat.
                          Smudge isn't snooty, but is a friendly cat that asks little of anyone.
                          We named her 'Smudge' because that's what she looked like when we found her.
                          She's a georgeous cat.
                          I want to find her a good home.
                          Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                          X