No announcement yet.

Muffler Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now, I'd like some muffler suggestions. It's a bone stock '57 289. I want a deep, mellow tone, but not too loud.
    Just asking, why look for trouble? Suggest using Don's mufflers also.

Glass packs are nice for a while but are kinda annoying on long trips, especially after the glass burns out. I'd buy a very quiet muffler,
    The one design feature which cancels out annoying resonance on the highway is an H-pipe or X-pipe crossover between the two front down pipes in front of the mufflers. Use one. You'll be glad you did.

As far as the tone, it's a matter of personal perception. I don't like the modern hollow-sounding Flowmaster-style mufflers on anything older than a recent model Mustang.

no tickets for racking them off,
    How that law enforcement has changed! When I was a teenager, any loud pipes would instantly get a ticket. Today, every Harley hog herder in the area seems to be cruising with straight pipes, rat rodders are running open headers, ricers are running coffee-can sized exhausts and I've never seen or heard of any of them getting ticketed.
    jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

AMEN..To Jacks observations. Its the same here. Don't forget to add in the boom boxes that rattle your windows.

Comment

Joshua LOVES his new Cherry Bombs ! Disturbing the peace since 1968
        Neil Thornton

Comment

See, this is the same problem I'm having. I want to go the easy (and trusted) route and buy Don's mufflers too. Problem is, I don't have any way to determine which one I prefer.

Two things I do know: One, individual opinions on tone and acceptable volume vary widely with individuals. Two, the same materials can sound completely different on different brands, different engines, even different bodies and weights. Put that together, and there's no telling what to do... you pays yer money and you takes yer chances, I guess.

I'm trying to increase my odds of getting just what I want the first try. Near as I can guess, my only hope is to hear some in person, and the ultimate would be to get a ride in 'em. It's one of my main objectives for the IM this year

To date, the meanest sounding Stude I've ever heard in person is Maxey's R2 Lark with glasspacks. LOVE it. But I want to go with Don's and not have to do it again.
          Last edited by Bob Andrews; 12-16-2011, 01:23 PM.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Hey Bob, sounds like you busted butt to get a Stude drivable. Which one is it that's running and will get the new exhaust? Maybe you can drive it to one of your SDC chapter meetings. BTW, which chapter do you belong to?
            Last edited by 31Streetrod; 12-16-2011, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
              Just asking, why look for trouble? Suggest using Don's mufflers also.

The one design feature which cancels out annoying resonance on the highway is an H-pipe or X-pipe crossover between the two front down pipes in front of the mufflers. Use one. You'll be glad you did.

As far as the tone, it's a matter of personal perception. I don't like the modern hollow-sounding Flowmaster-style mufflers on anything older than a recent model Mustang.

How that law enforcement has changed! When I was a teenager, any loud pipes would instantly get a ticket. Today, every Harley hog herder in the area seems to be cruising with straight pipes, rat rodders are running open headers, ricers are running coffee-can sized exhausts and I've never seen or heard of any of them getting ticketed.
              jack vines
              I agree with Jack's observations.
              We plan on installing Don's pipe/ "quiet" muffler combination on the white Hawk.

The Hawk used to run cherry bombs w/o crossover pipe. As a kid eager for any attention that didn't involve blue flashing lights, it was great. A decade later, with the insulation blown out it was louder and seemed pathetic. The only people that approved of the sound were people whose approval I did not care to court.

Flowmasters sound awfully hollow like somebody trying to gargle with too little liquid.
              Andy
              62 GT

Comment

I'll second the Smithy's suggestion. They have the deep mellow sound you are looking for and not too loud at speed.

Comment

The mufflers themselver are too subjective too say and too personal a choice as Mr. Andrews stated.

My only question is, are you going to POLISH the exhaust system front to back?

For me on my "era correct" concept on Oscar, it has to be Cherry Bombs. But on your wagon and its intended purpose as a portable SS transporter with a lot of hiway miles intended....I would go more of a Magnaflow....+ they come polished SS.

Comment

Don't put the little 12 inch glasspacks on yours like I have on my Lark. They are temporary and LOUD.(they do sound good at speeds above 70) I am also going with Porters on both of our Studes. My pipes are 2.25 inches.
                    Jamie McLeod
                    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                    1958 Commander "Christine"
                    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                    1955 Commander Sedan
                    1964 Champ
                    1960 Lark

Comment

it has to be Cherry Bombs.
                      Maybe it's just been my bad luck, but of all the dozens of mufflers I've used over the past fifty years, Cherry Bombs rusted out faster than any other. Today, I wouldn't install them if they came free.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                        Trust me on the road you'll be very glad they are quiet.
                        Hear! Hear!
                        If the sound is to announce your comings and goings, go loud.
                        If you plan on traveling in it, and I know you do, you will soon tire of a strong exhaust presence. Been there.
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Like I said earlier I like Flowmasters. Others have expresessed what they like. Mufflers are very subjective. I have two sets of mufflers in the corner of the shop that I changed out because I did not like them. Listen to different exhaust and decide what you like.
                          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info. I know that no two cars will sound exactly the same, I just wanted a few brands and variations so I could have some options.

Tex, could you post a video of the exhaust note of your '53?
                            Last edited by mbstude; 12-16-2011, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Matt

Magnaflow has a large audio file of their mufflers on car. Chose by muffler model # and vehicle type. http://www.magnaflow.com/sound_files.asp No Studes but a great way to hear differences.

I'll bet most other mfg's have a similiar site.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                                Hear! Hear!
                                If the sound is to announce your comings and goings, go loud.
                                If you plan on traveling in it, and I know you do, you will soon tire of a strong exhaust presence. Been there.
                                I agree. The roar is great around town, but becomes a droning sound on long drives, and gets old real quick. I buy Don's stainless, then take the car to Payless for installation, and ask for the quietest mufflers they have.

I like my Harley noisy, but the Stude quiet.

Comment

Working...
                                X