Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play Wagon
    replied
    Thanks for sharing your pics, Matthew. I've always enjoyed seeing what "might have been" from various manufacturers and the progression from initial sketches (remember sketches?) to final product. Sometimes you have to wonder why some of the more promising designs never made it into production. Tell you what, though...I don't think any of those proposals are nearly as attractive as the '59 Lark which was my first Studebaker, and I still own after over 32 years (Lark VIII Regal wagon).

JSC

Leave a comment:

• scott.rodgers
    replied
    I've heard about the Project-X film but I've never seen it. It will be part of my next SI order!

Leave a comment:

• Nelsen Motorsports
    replied
    Even though he left long before those pictures were taken, it looks like Virgil Exner still had a great influence.

Leave a comment:

• woodysrods
    replied
    To bad Studebaker did not have the money to put that concept Coupe Express into production before Ford's Ranchero and Chev's Elcamino?????
    Just another what if?????? That may have changed the path of history.
    Good Roads
    Brian

Leave a comment:

• FlatheadGeo
    replied
    The rear bumper on the Express Coupe looks like the front bumper on my '57 Champion!

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    There are photos of the 1959 Lark Prototype in "Studebaker Lark, 1959-1966 Photo Archive" by Ed Reynolds : pages 10-15.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
    The final prototype looks just like the production model, however it has a non production grille badge in the film. SI sells the film.
    The design touches for the Lark go back to 1956 when there was still hope for Studebaker and Packard's grandiose plans for 'serious' body sharing without being so obvious. While the senior Packards would have been styled after the Predictor on a longer wheelbase, the Clipper and Studebaker lines would have used the same wheelbase. The only thing 'common' would have been the cowl and floorpan. The Studebakers for 1957 would have had the similar styled taillights and similar chrome treatment with the dip on the rear door as the '59 Lark.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 12-13-2011, 10:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    That rear view looked like a modified 55 Dodge to me too Brian. As far as the first one being a possible Packard, if it did come about it would have been missing the Packard "dip" in the grille opening. Sad that Packard left the scene. If there had been some way to forsee the success of the Lark, it would have been nice to have a Packard alongside to have shared in that achievement.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Originally posted by scott.rodgers View Post
    Are there any pictures of the Lark prototypes for 59? I don't think I've ever seen any.
    They are out there. There is a factory film called "Model X" and it's all about the 1959 Lark. They called the 1959 model X because the Lark name wasn't official yet, in fact the work "Lark" isn't even used in the film. That film shows both clay models of all 1959 cars and wagon, as well as driving of prototypes. The final prototype looks just like the production model, however it has a non production grille badge in the film. SI sells the film.

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Not surprising as you can see the Plymouth sitting right there to be "inspired" by!

Leave a comment:

• woodysrods
    replied
    Looked like Dodge stuff. Remember the Police car in the movie the California kid......same front end as car on right.
    Tail lights in the rear view look like Dodge all the way!
    Good Roads
    Brian

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    The front end on some of those looks early-Impala inspired. ?

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
    Now, here's another intriquing question, are all three of these mock-ups for 1959 Studebakers? Or is one of them the...........1959 Packard?

Steve
    The one on the far left in the first photo has '58 Packard wheel covers. The car in the middle has Stude covers. Nice observation.

Leave a comment:

• 56H-Y6
    replied
    Hi Matthew

Thanks for posting these, I've never seen that first one, always interested to see clay styling mock-ups from those days.

Note they all exhibit the styling trend to integrating the headlights into the grille plane. As a device to make this work, the hood and fenders were given an airfoil form, and the bumper level raised. From my reading, when Studebaker still planned upon a full-sized line for 1959, they intended to restyle the front clip to a more contemporary form as we see here.

Now, here's another intriquing question, are all three of these mock-ups for 1959 Studebakers? Or is one of them the...........1959 Packard?

Steve

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    Per the side of the center car on the left, being its side is the only one visible, my first thought was "how ugly, a Lark top on a Mercury".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X