No announcement yet.

Experimental eye candy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That rear view looked like a modified 55 Dodge to me too Brian. As far as the first one being a possible Packard, if it did come about it would have been missing the Packard "dip" in the grille opening. Sad that Packard left the scene. If there had been some way to forsee the success of the Lark, it would have been nice to have a Packard alongside to have shared in that achievement.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
      The final prototype looks just like the production model, however it has a non production grille badge in the film. SI sells the film.
      The design touches for the Lark go back to 1956 when there was still hope for Studebaker and Packard's grandiose plans for 'serious' body sharing without being so obvious. While the senior Packards would have been styled after the Predictor on a longer wheelbase, the Clipper and Studebaker lines would have used the same wheelbase. The only thing 'common' would have been the cowl and floorpan. The Studebakers for 1957 would have had the similar styled taillights and similar chrome treatment with the dip on the rear door as the '59 Lark.

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 12-13-2011, 10:53 PM.

Comment

There are photos of the 1959 Lark Prototype in "Studebaker Lark, 1959-1966 Photo Archive" by Ed Reynolds : pages 10-15.
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

The rear bumper on the Express Coupe looks like the front bumper on my '57 Champion!
          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

To bad Studebaker did not have the money to put that concept Coupe Express into production before Ford's Ranchero and Chev's Elcamino?????
            Just another what if?????? That may have changed the path of history.
            Good Roads
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca
            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Even though he left long before those pictures were taken, it looks like Virgil Exner still had a great influence.
              Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
              Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
              Lizella, GA

Comment

I've heard about the Project-X film but I've never seen it. It will be part of my next SI order!
                Scott Rodgers
                Los Angeles
                SDC Member since 1989
                \'60 Lark HT
                \'63 Wagonaire
                \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Thanks for sharing your pics, Matthew. I've always enjoyed seeing what "might have been" from various manufacturers and the progression from initial sketches (remember sketches?) to final product. Sometimes you have to wonder why some of the more promising designs never made it into production. Tell you what, though...I don't think any of those proposals are nearly as attractive as the '59 Lark which was my first Studebaker, and I still own after over 32 years (Lark VIII Regal wagon).

JSC

Comment

Working...
                  X