• Show
Clear All

• hdh
    replied
    Champ's a Boy

Leave a comment:

• clonelark
    replied
    Had to name my 55 Conestoga Connie. she has a nice Butt.

Leave a comment:

• candbstudebakers
    replied
    If it is a 6 cly. then it's a girl, V-8 is a guy, got to have some balls to spin the tires.

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    Simple:
    If they have a stick, they're a male.
    Automatic...female.

Leave a comment:

• jts359
    replied
    I have male and female , Hopeing they will reproduce,

Leave a comment:

• texbodemer
    replied
    Male-seeming: Daytona Hardtop, Wagonaire, GT Hawk, Champ and Transtar
    Female seeming: Daytona Convertible, Cruiser, Avanti

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Avery close friend of mine, "Big Bob" named my first Stude, the 62 Daytona, Baby. I have a tendency of doing things just a little more than half way. Although Bob was a chevy man, he'd come over the house & pat her & say "that's ok Baby. I still love ya even though Warren hasnt paid any attention to you lately." Bob passed away 2 years ago last June but every time I go out back & see her, I think of my friend & smile.

Another car of mine which is a Brand X is called the "Potted Plant" due to its laying dormant for years behind the garage in Redondo as the wind & sun removed its convertible top and leaves combined with other organic matter started to grow from the interior.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Bryant
    replied
    [QUOTE=Jim B PEI;602745]
    Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post

A much younger friend (born in 66) ran across a Rusty Warren record in a delete bin, and bought it, and brought it over to my house. We spent a fun winter evening on either side of the fireplace listening to Rusty do a live night club act. As dated as it was, it was still fun.
    She was most famous for her "Knockers Up" routine. As I am of that vintage, I am listening to Ahmad Jamal's "But Not For Me" right now. Many people would wonder whom he might be! The forum provides considerable enjoyment for me in just seeing what is being discussed. There is so much welcome expertise on Studebakers that I read most of it, but can't say I am getting any smarter!

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    replied
    Our 58 is Christine. Just because it changed owners, the name still sticks.
    Our Lark is Ugly Betty. She came from the home of Sweaty Betty, a Champ that has lost its way. Now Ugly Betty's name will change as work is completed. One of these days, she will be known as: Oh Black Betty (Bam-a-Lam).
    My 59 Ranchero is the Enchirito. My kids named it since most of the time, you would see it at the drive through window of Taco Bell. I couldn't tell you if this is a male or female name. The Enchirito may be a eunuch. Maybe that's why it used to be so tempermental.

Leave a comment:

• Jim B PEI
    replied
    [QUOTE=Bob Bryant;602609]
    Originally posted by hausdok View Post
    My P.H. is a male. It was so rusty that I named it Rusty. I've never known any women named Rusty; so Rusty Hawk is a male....QUOTE]

Your response reminded me of Rusty Warren who was known for her comedy act about the time Studebaker ceased production. I was pleased to see that she is still living...same for myself! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Warren
    A much younger friend (born in 66) ran across a Rusty Warren record in a delete bin, and bought it, and brought it over to my house. We spent a fun winter evening on either side of the fireplace listening to Rusty do a live night club act. As dated as it was, it was still fun.

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    My car remains nameless, but the good ol boy who started the teardown used to yell "Son of a B....." so often, It probably thinks it's a boy.

Leave a comment:

• Corvanti
    replied
    never intentionally named any of my cars, but have had several non-studes that ended up with the same non-gender based name: "p.o.s."...

Leave a comment:

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    My Lark is probably a male.

The overall vibe of a vehicle determines its gender.

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    Some interesting stories and comments here. There is a word that describes giving human character to animals or other inanimate objects, anthropomorphism (you may wish to look it up).

Personally, I have only named vehicles when I had two or more of the same year and model to distinguish one from the other in normal conversation. Probably one of the most famous of named Studebakers was "Earl" the truck owned by Chuck Naugle who made dozens of trips around the country hauling other Studebakers. Chuck's reasoning was similar in that he had more than one of the same model (though I am not sure how he chose that particular name).

Of course most people here remember when all hurricanes had female names (purportedly because they were so unpredictable). To promote "political correctness" the National Weather Service began alternating male and female names in 1979.

It might also be noted that most ships and planes (esp WWII military craft) are female (Memphis Belle, Suzy Q, Enola Gay etc.).

Leave a comment:

• woodysrods
    replied
    Sometimes it just comes to you??
    Today I looked at my Trailer Project which I have been referring to as the Vedette, which was named after the donor car for this project, and what poped into my head?
    "Miss Piggy" just looked like a "Miss Piggy" at that moment.
    Good Roads
    Brian

Leave a comment:

Working...
X