• Show
Clear All

All cars are female in my book.
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Funny story Matt, I call my 64 Lark Brownie for obvious reasons.
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Geez, That "Cupcake" is STUNNING.

Freakin nice car!

Dean.

Comment

As much as I love my cars, I've never named them.
          I call them what they are...."The Avanti", etc.
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I always attempt to find out some of the previous owner's wives names and name the car after them.......had a Rose, and a Mable and Alice.

Here is a story for you. My daughter needed something for school and I had it stored out in the pole barn. Once I told her where it was, she asked if she could tag along and go get it. When I opened the door we were graced with a 62 Daytona. I said "isn't she beautiful" and she replied "he sure is".
            Last edited by 58PackardWagon; 12-14-2011, 07:50 PM.

Comment

My '40 was easy to name, Ely, because he already had "Ely Stokes" on both doors. Ely just seems to fit that car. The '53 is still nameless.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

[QUOTE=hausdok;601634]My P.H. is a male. It was so rusty that I named it Rusty. I've never known any women named Rusty; so Rusty Hawk is a male....QUOTE]

Your response reminded me of Rusty Warren who was known for her comedy act about the time Studebaker ceased production. I was pleased to see that she is still living...same for myself! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Warren
                "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Sometimes it just comes to you??
                  Today I looked at my Trailer Project which I have been referring to as the Vedette, which was named after the donor car for this project, and what poped into my head?
                  "Miss Piggy" just looked like a "Miss Piggy" at that moment.
                  Good Roads
                  Brian
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Some interesting stories and comments here. There is a word that describes giving human character to animals or other inanimate objects, anthropomorphism (you may wish to look it up).

Personally, I have only named vehicles when I had two or more of the same year and model to distinguish one from the other in normal conversation. Probably one of the most famous of named Studebakers was "Earl" the truck owned by Chuck Naugle who made dozens of trips around the country hauling other Studebakers. Chuck's reasoning was similar in that he had more than one of the same model (though I am not sure how he chose that particular name).

Of course most people here remember when all hurricanes had female names (purportedly because they were so unpredictable). To promote "political correctness" the National Weather Service began alternating male and female names in 1979.

It might also be noted that most ships and planes (esp WWII military craft) are female (Memphis Belle, Suzy Q, Enola Gay etc.).
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

My Lark is probably a male.

The overall vibe of a vehicle determines its gender.
                      --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

never intentionally named any of my cars, but have had several non-studes that ended up with the same non-gender based name: "p.o.s."...
                        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

My car remains nameless, but the good ol boy who started the teardown used to yell "Son of a B....." so often, It probably thinks it's a boy.
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

[QUOTE=Bob Bryant;602609]
                            Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                            My P.H. is a male. It was so rusty that I named it Rusty. I've never known any women named Rusty; so Rusty Hawk is a male....QUOTE]

Your response reminded me of Rusty Warren who was known for her comedy act about the time Studebaker ceased production. I was pleased to see that she is still living...same for myself! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Warren
                            A much younger friend (born in 66) ran across a Rusty Warren record in a delete bin, and bought it, and brought it over to my house. We spent a fun winter evening on either side of the fireplace listening to Rusty do a live night club act. As dated as it was, it was still fun.

Comment

Our 58 is Christine. Just because it changed owners, the name still sticks.
                              Our Lark is Ugly Betty. She came from the home of Sweaty Betty, a Champ that has lost its way. Now Ugly Betty's name will change as work is completed. One of these days, she will be known as: Oh Black Betty (Bam-a-Lam).
                              My 59 Ranchero is the Enchirito. My kids named it since most of the time, you would see it at the drive through window of Taco Bell. I couldn't tell you if this is a male or female name. The Enchirito may be a eunuch. Maybe that's why it used to be so tempermental.
                              Jamie McLeod
                              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                              1958 Commander "Christine"
                              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                              1955 Commander Sedan
                              1964 Champ
                              1960 Lark

Comment

[QUOTE=Jim B PEI;602745]
                                Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post

A much younger friend (born in 66) ran across a Rusty Warren record in a delete bin, and bought it, and brought it over to my house. We spent a fun winter evening on either side of the fireplace listening to Rusty do a live night club act. As dated as it was, it was still fun.
                                She was most famous for her "Knockers Up" routine. As I am of that vintage, I am listening to Ahmad Jamal's "But Not For Me" right now. Many people would wonder whom he might be! The forum provides considerable enjoyment for me in just seeing what is being discussed. There is so much welcome expertise on Studebakers that I read most of it, but can't say I am getting any smarter!
                                "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X