Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

By your [Studebaker] fruits ye shall be known...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By your [Studebaker] fruits ye shall be known...

...or something like that.

Indiana was admitted to the Union of The United States of America on December 11, 1816. I could tell you the year from memory, but not the day.

Our church's Pastor is a great, easy-going guy. He takes a lot of good-natured ribbing about having been a Hoosier about ten years but a Wisconsin native, always rooting for The Green Bay Packers and such. So he interjects Hoosierisms from time to time to feign allegiance to Indiana....but we all know better. All in good fun.

So this bright, crisp Sunday morning, about 40 of us adults are congregated for Adult Sunday School. During the banter before class begins, all are assembled in an orderly manner and Pastor asks, "Does anyone know what is significant about today; December 11, 2011?"

Generally blank stares all around with an occasional wimper of, "My grandson's birthday?" or other remarks; no serious replies.

Having received no answer, Pastor looks directly at me and jokes, "Bob, you're a history buff; I'm surprised you don't know!"

And before I could answer, someone behind me in the peanut gallery piped up, "Oh, then, it must be the day The Studebaker Company was founded!"

Chuckles all around, after which I confirmed it wasn't...but waited with everyone else for the correct answer about Indiana's statehood exactly 195 years ago today.

(As we know, once you're name is attached to Studebakers, they never forget....<GGG>) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Good one! Here in Studebaker-barren CNY, I too am known as 'that Studebaker guy', followed by quizzical looks from everyone else
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Our church's Pastor is a great, easy-going guy. He takes a lot of good-natured ribbing about having been a Hoosier about ten years but a Wisconsin native, always rooting for The Green Bay Packers and such.
      The way Green Bay is playing this year, perhaps everyone should become a fan. Whether you're a cheese fan or not, a perfect season would be neat to witness (like seeing a ballpayer set a HR record or a small school win a championship, or someone winning a "grand slam" in golf).

Be nice to the Packers fans Bob, you might see more of them in Indy this January...

Your pastor sounds like a great guy. And your neighbors have you pegged....sounds like you have a great life.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Every Saturday night I take my 63 Valiant to a Cruise in NJ. I hang with a lot of Mopar guys. To them I am the Studebaker guy! We are a rare breed!
        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
          The way Green Bay is playing this year, perhaps everyone should become a fan. Whether you're a cheese fan or not, a perfect season would be neat to witness (like seeing a ballpayer set a HR record or a small school win a championship, or someone winning a "grand slam" in golf).

Be nice to the Packers fans Bob, you might see more of them in Indy this January...

Your pastor sounds like a great guy. And your neighbors have you pegged....sounds like you have a great life.
          That would be fine with me, John; I'd love it! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I saw the thread title and thought it was gonna be another "thank you for the tastey fruit in the mail Bob K. " thread...lol

Comment

Working...
            X