Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy Birthday Plain Brown Wrapper (pic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday Plain Brown Wrapper (pic)

Cousin George Krem's 1964 Challenger V8 2-door, the famous Plain Brown Wrapper, was assembled December 12, 1963.

This photo is one of the three shootout races at the 2011 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race. Ted Harbit, here driving The Plain Brown Wrapper, won this race even though I don't know which of the three races it is, because it won all three rounds of the shootouts!

Today (Monday, December 12, 2011), it is exactly 48 years old....two years to go 'till the Big Five-Oh!

Some of "youse guys" 48 years old should be so fast! <GGG> BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 12-12-2011, 09:04 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

My sister Colleen was born December 11,1963. She's only one day older!! Do you think Lark Parker and The Lovely Daytona planned it that way?

Comment

Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
      My sister Colleen was born December 11,1963. She's only one day older!! Do you think Lark Parker and The Lovely Daytona planned it that way?
      Undoubtedly.

BTW: How's your Dad doing, Barry? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Undoubtedly.

BTW: How's your Dad doing, Barry? BP
        He's home. Everytime I ask him, he says he's about the same. Not much stamina. I'm sure he would like to hear from you, go ahead and call him.

Comment

Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
          He's home. Everytime I ask him, he says he's about the same. Not much stamina. I'm sure he would like to hear from you, go ahead and call him.
          'Will do. I've fallen behind on that and deserve a couple dozen lashes with a wet Corvette seat belt for being derelict. (Folks: "Son-o-Lark's" Dad is Dale McPhearson, for those who may have lost track.) BP

Comment

Best wishes for good friend, Lark Parker, AKA Dale McPhearson.

Thanks for the thread, Bob. I'm still trying to figure out what to do for the Wrapper's 50th. Studebakers are almost human, so we need to consider their feelings, too. <GGG>

George
            george krem

Comment

How cool to know the actual birthday Closest I get with mine is model year
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Every time I see a picture of the Wrapper, my eyes go straight to the front fender. I love how the metallic paint doesn't quite match up on that factory finish.

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                How cool to know the actual birthday Closest I get with mine is model year
                Have you ever bought a Stude Production Order? The Final Assembly Date is always there.

I know you have at least one.. I paid the 50 bucks for the PO on your Provincial, then mailed it to you when I didn't buy it.
                Last edited by mbstude; 12-12-2011, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  Every time I see a picture of the Wrapper, my eyes go straight to the front fender. I love how the metallic paint doesn't quite match up on that factory finish
                  IS that because it has be wrecked and repainted on the front or is it a glass nose?

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                    IS that because it has be wrecked and repainted on the front or is it a glass nose?
                    George Krem bought the Wrapper new, and he or BP will correct me, but it only has something like 14K original miles. At least that's the number I remember from when I sat in the car in '09.

The factory painted the front sheetmetal for cars in a different location than the rest of the body. They just didn't get the metallic to lay down the same as the rest of the car.

Comment

Around about that date I was departing my first USAF duty station at Langley AFB in VA. I took a whole 3 weeks off as I recall. Didn't have to go back until after New Years. I confess the ONLY '64 model car I can recall from that time is a '64 Impala. Certainly I had SEEN a '64 Stude by that time, but just didn't make much of it. My discovery & subsequent love for the marque was eight years intgo the future.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

George Krem bought the Wrapper new, and he or BP will correct me, but it only has something like 14K original miles. At least that's the number I remember from when I sat in the car in '09.

The factory painted the front sheetmetal for cars in a different location than the rest of the body. They just didn't get the metallic to lay down the same as the rest of the car.
                        Correct all around, Matt. The odometer may be over 15K by now; George may confirm. BP

Comment

Every time I see a picture of the Wrapper, my eyes go straight to the front fender. I love how the metallic paint doesn't quite match up on that factory finish.

Have you ever bought a Stude Production Order? The Final Assembly Date is always there.

I know you have at least one.. I paid the 50 bucks for the PO on your Provincial, then mailed it to you when I didn't buy it.
                          Right, Matt. Metallic paint, as you indicate, can look different, depending on a variety of factors. As BP points out, the front clip was painted separately from the rest of the car and may not have even been painted by the same person. When I bought the car, it had 4 miles on the odometer, and Bob and I were satisfied that all paint was factory original. It's still the way it was when I bought it.

But I know what you mean....it bothers me too, sometimes. BTW, the car now has somewhere around 14,300 miles. In recent years, it's been a quarter mile at a time. <GGG>

George
                          george krem

Comment

Working...
                          X