Wagons verses Sedans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagons verses Sedans

After looking at the recent Eye Candy of the 59 Wagon and the Woody post, I was reminded of the rear quarter panels of the wagons and the sedans, why do you think that the designers chose to have weld on quarter panels for the station wagons and the have the two and four door sedans and coupes to be bolted on? Now I am thinking of the last wagons and this may not pertain to the earlier ones that Im not that familiar with.
    Tom
    sigpic

Weld on? Why, just to frustrate us Wagonaire owners in later years! There is no way to get in to bang out a dent or repair rust short of cutting things open.

More practically, it's probably because there wasn't any way to hang the quarters without the bolts showing. And, using Studebaker corporate logic, it probably saved at least 50 cents per car.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
      Weld on? Why, just to frustrate us Wagonaire owners in later years! There is no way to get in to bang out a dent or repair rust short of cutting things open.

More practically, it's probably because there wasn't any way to hang the quarters without the bolts showing. And, using Studebaker corporate logic, it probably saved at least 50 cents per car.
      Come on Gary,
      NO WAY to do something? This from a guy who is recreating a 100 yr old Indy race car from pictures and a randon donated piece of sheet metal?

There is ALWAYS a way. They could have done it if they wanted to bad enough. I just think it was industry standard by the 50's to have Quaters welded on. Most other brands had the quarters welded on even on cars by then. So instead of being frustrated that the wagons were welded, the car folks should just be thankful that they had that option.

Comment

Working...
      X