ZIP VAN(!) appears in Hot Rod DeLuxe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZIP VAN(!) appears in Hot Rod DeLuxe!

Now here's something you thought you'd never see; an essentially-stock Studebaker USPS ZIP VAN appearing, with proper caption, in a Hot Rod magazine!

'Anyone else seen the retro Hot Rod DeLuxe currently on the newsstands? I don't have it in front of me as I was just perusing it at Barnes & Noble this afternoon, but there is a good, contemporary photo of a Studebaker ZIP Van at a rod & custom show somewhere, calling it out as being a cool ride.

It's easy to spot because it is painted in the original Red-White-Blue color scheme.

Now that's something...'several other interesting Studes, too...in fact, more than you'd expect. 'Makes you wish you had the time and money to subscribe to every collector-car magazine out there and read every one cover-to-cover.

Sigh....BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Wow! Thats great. These neat vans should be getting a whole lot more exposure.

Chris.

Comment

The more press they get, the less chance Bob Andrews has of affording one.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        The more press they get, the less chance Bob Andrews has of affording one.
        Maybe. But mostly I wanted to use one on my route; and I'd have to spend quite a lot to buy one AND make it route-dependable. Still trying to work past that hurdle in my mind. Maybe seeing the museum example in person next year will get me off the dime...
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

BTW Bob- how'd you like the Rat Rod on the cover of Hot Rod with the '57 Coronet quarters? Pretty outrageous!
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            BTW Bob- how'd you like the Rat Rod on the cover of Hot Rod with the '57 Coronet quarters? Pretty outrageous!
            Outrageous it is. (But, folks, the ZIP Van appears in Hot Rod DeLuxe, not the newest, "regular" Hot Rod Bob references. Two different publications, but from the same company.) BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

'Was back at the newsstand today and rechecked on this ZIP Van.

The photo identifies the owner as Curtis Dinardo. I see where Curtis is an SDC member living in St. Clair MI.

Curtis, are you on the forum? That's a cool ZIP Van with the "mag" wheels. Congratulations on the nice exposure. BP

Comment

With a little googling I found this. It's probably not the one in the article, but it's nice!

Click image for larger version

Name:	zv3l.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1671354Click image for larger version

Name:	zv2l.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1671355
                1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
                1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
                Robert Rausch

Comment

'Prolly not, Robert, as you say.
                  The one in the article has the original paint scheme, but with "mag" wheels. Cute. BP

Comment

maybe it was this one. I attended the Sins of Steel car show in May (I think) and he was parked two rows behind me. This was NW of Detroit.

--george
                    Last edited by Bredehoft; 12-11-2011, 06:03 AM. Reason: forgot how to post image links!
                    1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

A while back I read somewhere in a car mag that they predicted the "next big thing" in hot rodding, after the "rat rod", would be the return of "rat B/FX style cars" and "hot rod vans". Perhaps now we'll see R2 powered Zip Vans with Craigers painted Midnight Black with red flames and pin striping...
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by ClaymoreWW View Post
                        maybe it was this one. I attended the Sins of Steel car show in May (I think) and he was parked two rows behind me. This was NW of Detroit.

George
                        Yes, George; that is Curtis' ZIP Van and that is the show referenced in the Hot Rod DeLuxe article.

Thanks for the post. BP

Comment

Working...
                        X