Cop car photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop car photo

I must have missed it but I've never seen this one before. It's from a site called The Grandview Heights Marble Cliff Historical society:

http://www.ghmchs.org/main.html
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

I'd better be more careful~ my shop is on Grandview Road!!!!
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Great photo. However, is it just my small laptop, or do those cars look huge? Maybe the men pictured are all short? For some reason, those Larks look larger than life and imposing in the background.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If one of those pulled up in your rearview with red headlights flashing, I wouldn't try to run!
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
          I must have missed it but I've never seen this one before.
          You did. JP's link to one of those ones in the photo he owned here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=grandview

Craig

Comment

What's better than a '63 F-body? A fleet of '63 F-bodies! Woot!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Back in the '60s my uncle was responsible for purchasing vehicles for the state of Kansas. In '63 he told me that the Highway Patrol had evaluated R-2 Larks for possible use. They passed on them, however, because when they ran them up to 132mph (actual speed as electronically clocked in the testing) on the Kansas Turnpike, they felt they were too light for that kind of speed. The state did buy a bunch of Larks and Stude trucks though for the Highway Department and other agencies.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                I must have missed it but I've never seen this one before. It's from a site called The Grandview Heights Marble Cliff Historical society:

Funny story about the Grandville cop car. I saw it on ebay and we discussed it for a few days. The general consensus was that it was a clone. I blew up the picture and googled the town name, found it, and called the local police. They put me on with the stations historian, and he sent me the pictures and info. I won the car for a song and had a friend trailer it to York for pickup, but some SOB offered me so much money for her, I was forced to sell it off the trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	studi3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1671297
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Where is Grandview Heights?

Why two-doors? You 'd think for a fleet sale, they could have put the R-2 engines in a 4-door (if in fact these cars are R-2s)?
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                    Where is Grandview Heights?

Why two-doors? You 'd think for a fleet sale, they could have put the R-2 engines in a 4-door (if in fact these cars are R-2s)?

None were R2's and Grandville is in Ohio.
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

2 doors?

I find it quite interesting that many of the old Studebaker police car photos show 2 door sedans. I can't speak for the 40's and early fifties, but growing up as a kid in the late 50's and 60's I never saw a 2 door marked police car in and around BC - all were 4 door sedans with the occasional station wagon.

Is the 2 door police car an American phenomenon? I can't say I 've ever seen a 2 door police sedan in the parts of the US (the west) I've traveled in the last 10-15 years either.
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander
                      Zone Coordinator
                      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

A lot of the Studebaker Police cars in Australia were 2 door.
                        Dave Pink
                        Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
                        1925 ER Tourer
                        1925 Panel Delivery
                        1953 Champion Sedan
                        1957 Golden Hawk
                        1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                        http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

It was rare in most U.S. Cities, but more common in the State Highway Patrols.
                          I don't think so many people got arrested in those days, on US & State Highways anyway, no need to use the back seat!

Remember Broaderick Crawford in the weekly TV series, "Highway Patrol"? It was calif. and they actually used '55-'57 Buick Special 2 dr. Sedans.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

All the pictures I had of the Grandville cars in actions were traffic related. (Accidents/traffic stops), not a lot of bad guys in the back seat stuff. I found the write up on my old cop car using the way back machine.

"
                            In 1963 the Grand View Heights Ohio police department ordered 4 new Studebaker Pursuit Marshal Police cars. They were all ordered with 289 cu.in. engines, Flight-O-Matics, power steering, power brakes, HD cooling, springs and shocks. They all had a few added creature comforts including Climatizer, clock, cigar lighter, passenger side sun visor and more. They were all ordered with 'special paint', black body, white roof and was prewired for roof lights. One was not equipped with roof mounted light, one had roof mounted siren and light, two with just roof mounted siren.
                            (note the black wheels from the factory)

After many years of service, they were sold at auction, but at least one survives to this day, police unit number 4, Studebaker serial number 63V 26852.

After the first owner got the car, he had it repainted all black and in the early 80's reinstalled the 'bubble gum machine' light, and put the 80's Grand View Heights sticker back on the car. The car last appeared at the 1986 Studebaker National meet in Indianapolis, than was retired to a barn in 1988. Rumor has it the car was ordered off the road after a previous owner had a few beers and pulled over a couple young ladies.
                            The car was pulled from the barn in 2003 with a stuck engine, peeling paint and bad brakes and put on Ebay by the new Pa. owner. I bought the car off Ebay in early Feb., 2004 and hope to have it running and driving shortly. The city of Grand View Heights will get first dibs on the car when I'm done, I'd love to see the car return to it's home. "

Last edited by JDP; 12-08-2011, 07:56 PM.
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              It was rare in most U.S. Cities, but more common in the State Highway Patrols.
                              I don't think so many people got arrested in those days, on US & State Highways anyway, no need to use the back seat!
                              Rich - you've made my point... having transported a few arrested persons in a previous career (many years ago), I can't imagine trying to stuff them in the rear of a 2 door sedan!
                              Mark Hayden
                              '66 Commander
                              Zone Coordinator
                              Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Working...
                              X