Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion51
    replied
    Ray. Did you loosen the bolt that holds the cable to the lever? If you did, fine, then your problem is in the tranny. If not, I suggest you do, [u]THEN</u> force the lever back. My mechanic friend thought the same as you, and said the lever was at the stop. He was wrong! When I loosened off the bolt, I was able to still move that lever, ever so short a distance and it made a difference.

Dave D.
    '51 4-dr Champion
    Smithers, B.C.
    Canada

Leave a comment:

• Champion51
    replied
    Ray. Did you loosen the bolt that holds the cable to the lever? If you did, fine, then your problem is in the tranny. If not, I suggest you do, [u]THEN</u> force the lever back. My mechanic friend thought the same as you, and said the lever was at the stop. He was wrong! When I loosened off the bolt, I was able to still move that lever, ever so short a distance and it made a difference.

Dave D.
    '51 4-dr Champion
    Smithers, B.C.
    Canada

Leave a comment:

• rayoung55
    replied
    The T-86 OD in the car is a long tail shaft, so the short one won't work. Thanks Richard.

Dave, I've pushed the OD lever on the trans absolutely as far back as it can go and wired it in place so it can't move forward. Still no free wheeling and thus no OD. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty sure the OD in the trans is shot. Hopefully will get a response from the "experts" at the tranny seminar tomorrow!!

Thanks folks!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rayoung55
    replied
    The T-86 OD in the car is a long tail shaft, so the short one won't work. Thanks Richard.

Dave, I've pushed the OD lever on the trans absolutely as far back as it can go and wired it in place so it can't move forward. Still no free wheeling and thus no OD. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty sure the OD in the trans is shot. Hopefully will get a response from the "experts" at the tranny seminar tomorrow!!

Thanks folks!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Champion51
    replied
    Here you go Rob. Had the very same problem this past weekend. The cable had moved only about 3/16" through the lever attached to the transmission. I loosened off the clamping nut (that locks the steel cable to the lever) and slid the lever that 3/16" towards the back or end of the cable and then locked it up again. Also, I noticed that the kickdown switch button was not moving freely, in and out, on the switch. It wasn't coming out fully after being sent into the switch. Grab that button-switch and make sure it is fully extended out and will go in and out freely. I don't think it was the switch that was causing my problems, but the cable that wasn't locked fully back into position. It is my guess that this cable has slid a minute distance past the locking nut and the lever is not fully back to the stop.
    Good luck!

Dave D.
    '51 4-dr Champion
    Smithers, B.C.
    Canada

Leave a comment:

• Champion51
    replied
    Here you go Rob. Had the very same problem this past weekend. The cable had moved only about 3/16" through the lever attached to the transmission. I loosened off the clamping nut (that locks the steel cable to the lever) and slid the lever that 3/16" towards the back or end of the cable and then locked it up again. Also, I noticed that the kickdown switch button was not moving freely, in and out, on the switch. It wasn't coming out fully after being sent into the switch. Grab that button-switch and make sure it is fully extended out and will go in and out freely. I don't think it was the switch that was causing my problems, but the cable that wasn't locked fully back into position. It is my guess that this cable has slid a minute distance past the locking nut and the lever is not fully back to the stop.
    Good luck!

Dave D.
    '51 4-dr Champion
    Smithers, B.C.
    Canada

Leave a comment:

• studes4ever
    replied
    Are you going to need a short or long tailshaft T-86? If it is a short, I think I have one around here that will work for you if you can't find one closer than Oregon.

Richard

quote:Originally posted by rayoung55

The cable is all of the way in and the lever on the trans is all of the way back and still no free wheeling. I'm pretty sure that this indicates a problem with the over drive in the transmission. I checked the solinoid and that is working. I hope I can get a response after the tranny seminar on Wednesday.

In the mean time if anyone is returning through Laramie, WY and has a good T-86 OD they want to sell after South Bend please let me know. I'm pretty sure I need one!!

The pictures from South Bend are great for those who could not attend! Keep up the good work!!

Rbo
    Richard Lawler
    '57 Transtar
    '51 Champion

Leave a comment:

• studes4ever
    replied
    Are you going to need a short or long tailshaft T-86? If it is a short, I think I have one around here that will work for you if you can't find one closer than Oregon.

Richard

quote:Originally posted by rayoung55

The cable is all of the way in and the lever on the trans is all of the way back and still no free wheeling. I'm pretty sure that this indicates a problem with the over drive in the transmission. I checked the solinoid and that is working. I hope I can get a response after the tranny seminar on Wednesday.

In the mean time if anyone is returning through Laramie, WY and has a good T-86 OD they want to sell after South Bend please let me know. I'm pretty sure I need one!!

The pictures from South Bend are great for those who could not attend! Keep up the good work!!

Rbo
    Richard Lawler
    '57 Transtar
    '51 Champion

Leave a comment:

• rayoung55
    replied

Rbo

Leave a comment:

• rayoung55
    replied

Rbo

Leave a comment:

• Tom Bredehoft
    replied
    Verify that the lever attached to the cable is all the way back against the stop that is machined into the transmission case. If you then have no freewheeling you need to examine the internals of the overdrive unit. When they are run dry they seize up, eliminating the free wheeling feature, and thence the overdrive itself.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All three Indiana built OD cars

Leave a comment:

• Tom Bredehoft
    replied
    Verify that the lever attached to the cable is all the way back against the stop that is machined into the transmission case. If you then have no freewheeling you need to examine the internals of the overdrive unit. When they are run dry they seize up, eliminating the free wheeling feature, and thence the overdrive itself.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All three Indiana built OD cars

Leave a comment:

• 2R5
    replied
    Your OD would be engaged if the handle is pushed in . If its not free-wheeling the levermust not be moving far enough with the cable. I would check this 1st...also something could be wrong inside the tranny that would cause this as well. If you look in the shop manual there is a section that trouble shots the elecrics of the OD , by all means follow this step by step to find what your problem is or could be electrical. The 60 is a pretty simple system using the 3 terminal solinoid so it should take you long to figure it out.
    Hooking up your wiring to it won't hurt a thing if its not free wheeling ...it just won't go into OD until you solve that part of it .....good luck

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
    1960 Lark 2dr
    1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT

Leave a comment:

• 2R5
    replied
    Your OD would be engaged if the handle is pushed in . If its not free-wheeling the levermust not be moving far enough with the cable. I would check this 1st...also something could be wrong inside the tranny that would cause this as well. If you look in the shop manual there is a section that trouble shots the elecrics of the OD , by all means follow this step by step to find what your problem is or could be electrical. The 60 is a pretty simple system using the 3 terminal solinoid so it should take you long to figure it out.
    Hooking up your wiring to it won't hurt a thing if its not free wheeling ...it just won't go into OD until you solve that part of it .....good luck

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
    1960 Lark 2dr
    1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT

Leave a comment:

• Chris Pile
    replied
    On my old '49 Champion the OD worked when the handle was pulled out. You might try that.

Chris Pile
    The Studebaker Special
    Midway Chapter SDC

Leave a comment:

Working...
X