Rear Axle Ratio's for a 1962 Daytona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle Ratio's for a 1962 Daytona

I have a 1962 Daytona Hardtop with a 289 4-barrel. The car has a 4-speed with a 3.73 TT, I'm wanting to bring the RPM's down so I can drive the car on the highway. I had 3.07 gears in mind but I'm concerned with the take-off (will I be slipping the clutch alot?) with that gearing and the 4-speed combo. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this combo?

Joe
    Last edited by irish; 12-07-2011, 12:14 PM.
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

The low speed acceleration issue would depend partly on whether you have the 2.20 or 2.54 Low Gear T-10 Trans.

It it were me, I would choose the 3.31 or 3.54 ratio rear axle, depending on how many 500 mile or more trips, I would be driving that Car. I hate doggie Cars!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I agree with you Rich, I hate doggie cars too! According to the shop manual a 1962 Lark with a 4-speed has the 2.20 first (unfortunately) but I haven't inspected the trans to confirm that. I once owned a Stude with a 4-speed and a 3.31 and it was fine on take-off, and I may have to go that route if I'm going to keep this tranny. I live only blocks away from the highway and they will run over you if you're not going 75.
      sigpic

1962 Daytona
      1964 Cruiser
      And a few others

Comment

I parted a '62 Daytona HT 4 speed car from NY-lots o' rust-w/a 3:07 rear! White w/red interior & buckets w/console. I have a '64 Daytona HT w/4 speed & 3:31 axle. It takes off OK w/decent cruising RPMs at 65. Good luck! I'd like to have a 3:73 ratio in my Dad's '64 V-8/OD pickup. Rob in PA

Comment

What about, instead of switching the rear axle, you consider going with the Tremec five-speed conversion? That really gives you the best of all worlds. That would probably work out just about perfectly with the ratio you already have. Or, possibly a T5 conversion. Something to consider.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I think the3.31 would be the way to go....

I have a 3.07 in my 64 clone with slightly warmed up 289. It's a bit doggy off the line, but my car is a flightomatic. I am planning on switching to3.31 for that reason.....
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

As Bob Andrews says, a Tremec T5 with a 0.63 or 0.68 5th and the 3.73 ratio would be ideal - the 0.68 would be best in your case. The gear splits on the 1st 4 gears are much better that the T10 that Studebaker used.

Comment

I would agree the Tremec T5 would be the best of both worlds, but how much money & labor is involved?

Joe
                sigpic

1962 Daytona
                1964 Cruiser
                And a few others

Comment

too much $$$ for a little gain with a Tremec IMO. I'll pull my open center 3:31 and bring it up to you on a trade for your TT

Originally posted by irish View Post
                  I would agree the Tremec T5 would be the best of both worlds, but how much money & labor is involved?

Joe
                  Mark Riesch
                  New Bern, NC

Comment

That's an open differential you have? Thanks but no thanks, I'll keep my posi-trac : ) If I do decide to go with a 3.31 or a 3.07 I'll just buy the ring & pinion and switch it out myself. I do like the idea of having an overdrive tranny, but I doubt it's really worth the money/labor involved.

Joe
                    sigpic

1962 Daytona
                    1964 Cruiser
                    And a few others

Comment

My '64 Daytona w/259 and 4spd. has a 3:07, and I have a 3:31 which I plan on installing someday. The 3.07 is great for cruising, but, yeah, sometimes you really have rev the engine, especially on a hill!

Comment

Dana 44

well it was worth a try diff repair/rebuild is something I have never done. I used to work for DANA a few years back and we Machined and built 1000s of power lock units.

I have looked for a power lock/posi unit but I have not found one for a 331 gear set, or am I just looking in the wrong place
                        Mark Riesch
                        New Bern, NC

Comment

Originally posted by TXmark View Post
                          well it was worth a try diff repair/rebuild is something I have never done. I used to work for DANA a few years back and we Machined and built 1000s of power lock units.

I have looked for a power lock/posi unit but I have not found one for a 331 gear set, or am I just looking in the wrong place
                          Check some of the Jeep/Scout suppliers like Rusty's Offroad. The Dana 44 is really popular with the 4x4 crowd and lots of limited slip sets are available.
                          sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

After crawling under the car and looking at the bolt pattern (between the tranny and bell housing) it appears I have the early 'Chevy' bolt pattern bell housing. Are their any other Stude transmissions that will bolt up to this bell housing or will I have to change it if I change the transmission?

Joe
                            sigpic

1962 Daytona
                            1964 Cruiser
                            And a few others

Comment

No it is a "one-off" Clutch Housing, it only fits a Chevy. Case T-10, or maybe a T-86 3 speed overdrive from a '65-'66 GM Engined car. You would probably be the FIRST guy in the the World to ever try this using a Stude. Engine!
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X