December 7, 1941

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 7, 1941

I was 14 months old. That might be a Studebaker in the parking lot or a Oldsmobile the back end looks a lot a like

It was 20 years before I was born, but back in my day this was still taught- along with what it ACTUALLY meant, and what we did about it, all with the righteousness of God Almighty. It was only His hand that guided us through to victory.

Today those that were lost on that day, and all the others that were lost in the months and years ahead, are resting in Glory at God's right hand, forever heroes. God Bless- and protect- my beloved America.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Well said, Bob. We need to remember and reflect, even if at some point some think it's politically incorrect to do so.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Amen to "all the above."

Personally, I think it's amazing we still have so many Pearl Harbor survivors out and about. Even if you were only 18 on December 7, 1941, you'd be at least 88 today...and if I'm not mistaken, the average lifespan for males in the United States, while rising, still isn't 88 years.

And if you were there at age 18 on December 7, 1941, as impressionable as is the human mind at that age, it's hard to imagine any level of dementia ever erasing those memories. Even if they couldn't verbalize them, I'd bet those guys could still remember the day's events with remarkable clarity.

Congrats and thanks to all of them, everyone who served through to the end of the war. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Even if they couldn't verbalize them, I'd bet those guys could still remember the day's events with remarkable clarity.
          They sure remember that with their wallets. They were the ones who would never buy goods from Japan, and probably still won't today.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            They sure remember that with their wallets. They were the ones who would never buy goods from Japan, and probably still won't today. Craig
            Good one, Craig.

BTW, how is the Pearl Harbor attack and related events viewed / remembered by many Canadians? BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              BTW, how is the Pearl Harbor attack and related events viewed / remembered by many Canadians?
              About the same, Bob. Remember there were Japanese internment camps in Canada as well during WWII, however, they are now viewed as a 'black mark' in Canadian history. Educators today still debate whether to leave it as 'forgotten', and not to be discussed in class; or explain what it was and what can be learned from the mistreatment of innocent individuals who had almost nothting to do with the actual event itself.

Craig

Comment

A slide show of unpublished Life magazine photo's after Pearl Harbor

http://www.life.com/gallery/66991/ra...harbor#index/0

Seems appropriate, on this day, that the motto the old and my former USAF Security Services Command is and will always be: "Security through Vigilance!"

Comment

I wasn't born yet in 1941, but I remember standing on the deck of my aircraft carrier in 1966 while anchored in Pearl Harbor. I was looking towards the gaps in the mountains and thinking... "What the heck would (or could) I do if planes came through those gaps shooting and dropping torpedos at us?". What a helpless feeling that was. I am thankful that I was not there back in 1941!
                  Here is extending a big THANK YOU to all of my fellow veterans out there!

Comment

I was 4 1/2 years old when Pearl Harbor was bombed. I had an older cousin who fought in the war and when he came back, he was never right mentally. They called it "shell shock."
                    I also remember rationing and the air raid drills. Our neighbor, who was a volunteer fireman, was an air raid warden during the war. He kept yelling out telling people to turn off their lights during the drill.
                    My dad had to put tape over the top half of the headlights of his '39 Studebaker Commander.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I have been privileged to know a couple of men that lived through the attack on Pearl Harbor. One was on the Tennessee. If you could get those guys to talk about it, which is not something they did very often, they would tell some very interesting stories. Like shooting at a Japanese plane with a .45 as it flew so close he and the pilot looked each other in the eye.
                      Rest In Peace Pop
                      TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

My Anniversary!
                        8 Yrs today!
                        Good Roads
                        Brian
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                          I wasn't born yet in 1941, but I remember standing on the deck of my aircraft carrier in 1966 while anchored in Pearl Harbor. I was looking towards the gaps in the mountains and thinking... "What the heck would (or could) I do if planes came through those gaps shooting and dropping torpedos at us?". What a helpless feeling that was. I am thankful that I was not there back in 1941!
                          Here is extending a big THANK YOU to all of my fellow veterans out there!
                          I also have been to Pearl Harbor in 59-60-61-62 also aboard an aircraft carrier and each time in and out our ship would almost stop when passing the Arizona it was just something we had to do, I was on the flight deck crew and we all stood at the edge and could look right down the stacks of her, hard to believe that could have happened but it did and a lot of people paid the price because of it .
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

When we were in Italy last year, we befriended a very nice Australian couple on our tour who were both teachers, and probably in their late 50's. Somehow we got talking about the war and I said "Most Americans of that age will tell you where they were when they heard about Pearl Harbor". To my surprise, he said, "Do they remember where they were when Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed?" I politely answered that history has shown that a land invasion of Japan was the next step and hundreds of thousands of Allied casualties were expected, and that Japan would not surrender, even after Hiroshima. He didn't say much else after that, besides that Japan had also invaded Australia which I was ashamed to say I hadn't known.

I do think the WWII generation is indeed the greatest generation. They came home, didn't complain, and built us into a world economic power.
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

My whole family (dad, a Navy Lieutenant; my mom, my sister, and my brother, about 10 months old) were all there in Pearl that day.
                              I came along 10 years later, almost to the day.
                              Again, like all of you, very thankful for the generation that turned that day around into victory for freedom four long years later.
                              sigpic
                              JohnP, driving & reviving
                              60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Working...
                              X