Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeRich
    replied
    Yes they loaded the Trunk, much easier than modifing the Suspension.

I am from the West Coast, so Taildraggers were never IN here, not how I would do it.

Leave a comment:

• cultural infidel
    replied
    Originally posted by mbstude View Post
    I'm thinking that Studebaker must've lowered their cars for advertising during those years. I think they look a lot better that way.

Here's a '57 TV commercial. Both the Hawk and the President appear to be lower.
    awesome commercial bit. They definitely look a bit better when lowered.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Early TT Axles and Emblems

I checked the '55 to '58 Body Parts Catalog to see if they actually listed the TT Emblem for '57 and they do, but in the real world, on the line it rarely or NEVER happened on '57's, I have never seen one factory installed, only owner installed after the fact.

The only '57-'58 Model that almost ALL had the TT AND the Emblem for some odd reason, were the 1958 1/2 Starlight Hardtops.

Except for '58 Starlight Hardtops, you really never saw those Emblems or TT equipped Cars in any great number anyway, on West of the Rockies cars at least, until 1959 and even moreso in 1960.

And as I have said many times before about such trivia...who cares?
    If you like the bragging rights, the look or the interesting conversation about your "Special" TT version GT Hawk or (enter model) _ _ _ _ _ _, go for it and put an Emblem on that baby!

I have seen quite a few '57 and on Trucks new from the factory with TT axles, but those only had a paper, bright flourescent Orange Warning Sticker next to the Ignition Switch to indicate a limited slip differential, and prevent people from driving it off of a one wheel jackstand.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-07-2011, 12:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kmac530
    replied
    Man Matt, too bad there is not a clear shot of where the TT emblem is at on that Broadmoore....it could have answered your other question....I looked and looked and could not see it on the tailgate...maybe I just could not see it though, I blew it up to full screen and still could not see it.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    I'm thinking that Studebaker must've lowered their cars for advertising during those years. I think they look a lot better that way.

Here's a '57 TV commercial. Both the Hawk and the President appear to be lower.

Leave a comment:

• Sdude
    replied
    Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
    I have noticed that many automobile advertisements of the mid to late 1950's have the cars low and long. More so than the real thing. With this in mind maybe the designers actually saw them that way, but praciticality took them elswhere. I like the low and long look.
    Nobody did that to more extreme than Pontiac with their wide trac advertizing.

Leave a comment:

• raprice
    replied
    Looking at the pictures in the advertisement, it reminds me of how terrific Studebaker styling was. As an example, look at that Golden Hawk. To me, it's still contemporary and would look good if it were manufactured today. My humble opinion.
    Rog

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    With the wide variety of two-tone paint options in 56 - 7 -8, I wonder which ones were the most popular.

Leave a comment:

• Jim B PEI
    replied
    Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
    I have noticed that many automobile advertisements of the mid to late 1950's have the cars low and long. More so than the real thing. With this in mind maybe the designers actually saw them that way, but praciticality took them elswhere. I like the low and long look.
    I guess Studebaker did something about it, in a small lower cost way, by flattening the roofs of the 58 sedans and offering 14" rims, if they couldn't make the cars actually wider. I have seen exactly one 58 Hawk in person with 14 inch rims and correct size tires, and it does look better for it. I betcha they figured out that the only real life difference was that the tires wore out faster (and there was less ground clearance), which with their demographic weren't positives, so back to 15". Were there ever any minutes or other inside knowledge that explained or rationalized the one year aberration to 14" and back, the same way that the retrograde change back to a 170 flathead and less power in 1959 was rationalized as in "First goal was economy. Under Eugene Hardig, the company's chief engineer, Studie's 20-year-old flathead-six engine was torn apart for a fresh look. Hardig wanted a smaller, "stiffer" engine."....?

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    How about that President 4 Dr. W Body, LOWRIDER? I wonder if it has has hydraulics!

Leave a comment:

• clonelark
    replied
    Some cars don't look good red, but this wagon rocks

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Thanks for posting. I like that station wagon.. I'd like to have one someday.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    How about that President 4 Dr. W Body, LOWRIDER? I wonder if it has has hydraulics!

Leave a comment:

• Carl Purdy
    started a topic 1957 Ad for MBSTUDE

1957 Ad for MBSTUDE

Working...
X