Another S-P name is recycled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another S-P name is recycled

I'm glancing through the Progressive Farmer I mysteriously receive (I'm not a farmer or progressive). I see an ad for a Yamaha 4wd ATV. In the text they boast about their Ultramatic transmission (even have a trademark icon beside the name).
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

How long do trademarks last? Did Stude/Pack trademark the name? Does the trademark stay in effect after a company goes out of business?

Interesting situation.

Comment

Good catch, Paul. Of course - there's really nothing but a similarity to this. The ATV maker is using Ultramatic, and most of us seasoned salts recall that Packard's tranny was actually a UlTRAUmatic!!!
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I've seen the motto, "Different by Design" on commercials for Star Furniture in Houston, TX withing the past few months
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
          How long do trademarks last? Did Stude/Pack trademark the name? Does the trademark stay in effect after a company goes out of business?

Interesting situation.
          A Trademark not only has to be renewed, it also has to be actively enforced.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
            Good catch, Paul. Of course - there's really nothing but a similarity to this. The ATV maker is using Ultramatic, and most of us seasoned salts recall that Packard's tranny was actually a UlTRAUmatic!!!
            I do not know if you consider me as one of the "seasoned salts", but I never saw that spelling. I remember Ultramatic. I will leave it to someone else to verify with research. I did not see any grins in your post to indicate that you were joshing.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I believe he means "Ul-traumatic"; which it can be if you don't take care of it. Think of Mrs. Malaprop and how she would emphasize the last three syllables if she owned a '56 Caribbean that was in the shop for tranny problems too many times....

Craig
              Last edited by 8E45E; 12-06-2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                I believe he means "Ul-traumatic"; which it can be if you don't take care of it. Think of Mrs. Malaprop and how she would emphasize the last three syllables if she owned a '56 Caribbean that was in the shop for tranny problems too many times....

Craig
                Thanks for the explanation. Now I get it. I knew that Bob K. knows better, but I didn't read the humor in it. This is a common problem with the written word as opposed to speaking to someone in person.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

A jewlery store in Davenport, Iowa has their sign out front and uses "Different by Design" as their motto.
                  Yep, Studebaker was ahead of their time in many ways... and they will never die... as long as we keep them on the road!

Comment

Working...
                  X