1964 trivia question for Hamilton-assembly experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 trivia question for Hamilton-assembly experts

OK, troops, here's a 1964 model year trivia question for which I do not know the answer. (Yes, that is possible and, yes, this is a legitimate inquiry.)

The Hamilton-built 1964 Daytona Six sedan pictured in Post #7 to this thread:

was built during calendar year 1963 and has an all-white steering wheel.

We've long known that an easy way to spot a "second-series" 1964 model year "Lark," one built in Hamilton and shipped to a United States dealer for sale in The United States, is by its all-white steering wheel.

Question: Did 1964 model year "Larks" built at Hamilton for Canadian dealers, those presumably built before January 1, 1964, also have all-white steering wheels?

If so, that would mean ALL 1964 model year "Larks" built in Hamilton had all-white steering wheels, regardless of serial number configuration or destination.

Right? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

That is correct , all 64 Hamilton cars except Hawks had white wheels .Also Bob the roof emblems is another way of telling Cdn cars ....there was no "8" in Cdn emblems no matter what engine was there.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Agreed! I have an early Hamilton-built 1964 Daytona with a white steering wheel which I bought from the original owner in 1976. I remember the car as far back as August, 1967, and the steering wheel was never changed.

Craig

Comment

Attached Files
        Last edited by 63larkr1; 12-05-2011, 11:10 AM.
        The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Originally posted by 63larkr1 View Post
          This is from my Canadian built Daytona. It has a blue and white steering wheel. I don’t claim to know anything about Canadian cars I just have this one so I thought I would put this out.
          Richard
          Is that from the Knauss' car in the barnlot, Richard?

That is an early-production but USA-destined car built after January 1, 1964. It would have made sense for them to ship leftover steering wheels to Hamilton to "use up" on different-color interiors until the overstock of a specific color would have been used up.

Had they done that, all-white wheels would have been phased in depending only on interior color, so certain-colored wheels might have been run out sooner than others. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I would say that wheel has been changed at one point. Someone may have not liked the white wheel when buying the car originally possibly....even Studebaker was known for some special order things, for instance I know of a 66 Daytona in Michigan that was special ordered with 65 wheel discs....the owner has the built sheet to prove this.
            The only way to find out if a 2tone wheel came originally on that car would be to get the built sheet....other then that, I'd say its been changed IMHO
            Last edited by 2R5; 12-05-2011, 01:18 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Is that from the Knauss' car in the barnlot, Richard?

That is an early-production but USA-destined car built after January 1, 1964. It would have made sense for them to ship leftover steering wheels to Hamilton to "use up" on different-color interiors until the overstock of a specific color would have been used up.

Had they done that, all-white wheels would have been phased in depending only on interior color, so certain-colored wheels might have been run out sooner than others. BP
              Yes, this is the barnlot car. It's just about ready to go to the crusher.
              Richard
              The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Originally posted by 63larkr1 View Post
                Yes, this is the barnlot car. It's just about ready to go to the crusher.
                Richard
                The crusher, Richard? By now, that shell should be so rusty that they'll need a front-loader with a large scoop to "load" it for recycling. <GGG> BP

Comment

My '64 Daytona Wagonaire, built the first of May. '64 has a red and white steering wheel. I didn't like the all white so many years ago I bought one of the NOS wheels at Standard Surplus (something like $9.95), red and white. I once sent a picture of the car to Fred Fox for an article on the cars and he called me about the wrong steering wheel. I do still have the white wheel.
                  Attached Files
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Love the interior of your wagon .....both headrests too !.....very nice
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      The crusher, Richard? By now, that shell should be so rusty that they'll need a front-loader with a large scoop to "load" it for recycling. <GGG> BP

Bob that's how I will load it on my trailer.
                      Richard

Comment

Working...
                      X