Did Studebaker ever...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Studebaker ever...

produce a console that surrounded the floor shifter of any manual transmission car? If they did, what year and model, and can someone please provide a photo of that it (they) looked like. Can't recall ever seeing one. Did a google image search of Studebaker and console and got a whole lotta nuthin. Did an ebay search of the same and only turned up a shorty GT/Hawk one that didn't surround the shifter. One last request, any one have a good clear photo of an Avanti console with a standard trans...could only find an image of an automatic console. ps, never ever knew that there were boats called Avanti Center Consoles....learning curve has been pretty steep this weekend. Thanks, Junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

The short answer is almost, NO! The Avantis were the only Vehicle that all had a full Console, Manual or Auto.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0211.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1671261

Name:	IMG_0214.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1671260

Sorry, looks like I blew the only chance I had to Photo a 4 Speed Avanti, I got everything BUT the Interior of Dick Steinkamp's Avanti just before he delivered it to the New owner. He dropped by the House to pick up some Parts and give me a ride in, and show Mike & myself his Car.

UPDATE: OPPS, that one was Auto. also, NOW I see the Trans. Dipstick!

All of my saved Avanti Pics with Interior Pics are Automatics.

Here is an Automatic, until someone finds a 4 Speed, you'll just have to picture a straight stick with a round boot & Chrome Ring sitting on the Console.

Name:	64 Turquoise_R2_Auto4.JPG
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1671262
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-04-2011, 08:01 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Ever get the serial number? :-)))
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Junior

I don't know about the 63/64"s but my four-speed 74 and my auto 83 have the same console. Four speed uses a square boot and trim.

Bob
        , ,

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
          Ever get the serial number? :-)))
          If you mean Dick's Car, No I did not, I have no info on the "file Pic" Car either, but If someone really had a reason to know, I could ask Dick.
          StudeRich

Comment

Thanks guys...before I get too carried away with this idea (installing an Avanti console in my 54 Coupe) approx. what's an Avanti console going to cost me...an arm? a leg? an arm and a leg? Caso at heart needs to know. Thanks, Junior.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

An Arm a Leg AND your first born!
              StudeRich

Comment

Ramblers of the mid-60s had some nifty consoles in the bigger cars AND in Americans. Consoles with auto, consoles with 3-spd OD, consoles with 4-spds and consoles with Twin-Stick OD as well.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

"One last request, any one have a good clear photo of an Avanti console with a standard trans..."

Name:	1963-studebaker-avanti-2.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1671263

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                    Thanks guys...before I get too carried away with this idea (installing an Avanti console in my 54 Coupe) approx. what's an Avanti console going to cost me...an arm? a leg? an arm and a leg? Caso at heart needs to know. Thanks, Junior.
                    Junior

Before you give up the idea, study these. It would not be to difficult to fab.

Bob
                    , ,

Comment

Thanks for the photos and suggestions....guess I'll have to go ahead and build one for myself, something I was originally going to do, but figured I see what Stude offered first. Just need to walk the fine line between making it look like it was fabbed in the mid 70's, yet not make it look too tackey like a lot of stuff from that era looked. Already have some ideas in the back of my head, now just need to put them into action. Regards, Junior.
                      sigpic
                      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

FYI -

The top plate for the Avanti console (where the shifter is), the shift bezel. and the shifter boot are all available from Studebaker International (www.studebaker-intl.com). They would be easy to mount on top of a fabbed console.
                        Scott Rodgers
                        Los Angeles
                        SDC Member since 1989
                        \'60 Lark HT
                        \'63 Wagonaire
                        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Did Studebaker use carpet on the Avanti end cap of the console on early cars?
                          Last edited by StudeMichael; 12-23-2011, 08:43 PM.

Comment

No. The end cap was molded vinyl over foam, same as the dash cover.

Comment

Someone did this to my console.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X