Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another R-10 resurrected... how great are these old Sudebakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another R-10 resurrected... how great are these old Sudebakers?

I recently acquired a '49 R10 from a field in GA. It spent it's years as a farm truck and shows it...lots of repairs done with a torch and a welder, body dented, boken glass, wiring eated by rodents...you know the story.

About 30 years ago somebody put a '48 Commander 226" with OD in it, ran it for a couple of years and then parked it and it hasn't run since. Somebody tried to put 12 battery and coil in it 15 years ago but gave up on it wen it wouldn't.

The engine was free when I got it so I soaked the plugs for 3 days with rust remover, pulled the plugs and put some oil in each cylinder, A change of oil, new plugs, points, cap, rotor, 6v coil, 6v battery cables and a 6v battery from NAPA, a set of wires from SI and a hot wire job for the ignition had it ready to start, or so I hoped.

I poured some gas down the carb and jumpered the starter solenoid...in 3 seconds it started right up! I hooked up a tempory fuel supply, primed it again and within 15 seconds it was idling on its own; after blowing out a huge cloud of blue smoke, it cleared up and idled with 40 lbs of oil pressure.

This is my 46th Sude and the the fourth one I've dragged out of a field since 1964, and everyone of them started right up after a little work. Don't you just love these old Studes?

A one word reply: YES!!!!! Lots of future fun, enjoy!
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Cool Story, Bill. I saved a few Georgia outcasts in the 14 years I lived there. Of course, I've rescued a number of them in California as well. Always makes you wonder WHY they were abaindoned in the first place!
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks, Roscomacaw.

Just noticed I called it a "Sudebaker"...You'd think after all these years and Studebakers, I'd proof read the post a little better...

Comment

Cool beans, Bill.

BTW: You can click edit at the bottom of your post and it will allow you to correct the spelling. Then click on "save changes." BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Man Bill, if that is your truck in your avatar, my truck Oscar could be its twin brother. Same color, same year,make,and model. and similar engine swap story then long sit.
            I actually regret not just cranking it over and trying to start mine.
            If you want to see my Oscar truck just type "ugly truck pics" in the search window and look for a thread from a couple of weeks ago by me. Twinsies.

Comment

Glad to here people saving the old farm trucks. They earned their keep. Any pics? My 59 4E13 probably had a lot of different careers. It has a PTO dump bed that had a tough life but still works like new. Forklift loading marks along the sides & back. Found a roofers business card in it.

Gordon S

Comment

Laughin
                Here is a link to my 2R10 pics...I would love to see some more pics of tertiums truck also.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-few-ugly-pics

Comment

way to go! It's fun when they roar back to life.

Comment

kmac
                    Nice truck. You'll get lots of smiles with that one. Don't know how I missed your post. Maybe tertium will post some pics soon. I'll be on the look out for them.

Gordon S

Comment

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'll post some pix tonight or tomorrow.

Kmac: yep, the truck is my avatar

Comment

]Bob, thanks for the tip on the spell check. Now all I have to do if figure out how to post the pix...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tertium View Post
                          ]Bob, thanks for the tip on the spell check. Now all I have to do if figure out how to post the pix...
                          Looks like you got it figured out! Nice find. That truck looks like what I like to call a "Warrior." The battle scars earned doing what trucks are supposed to do.

According to google maps, you are only 135 miles from me. Hope to meet you some day.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Bill looking good. Thanks for the pics. John C called it right, that is a warrior from back in the day. I love it.
                            Are you planning on a restoration, or just getting it safe and driveable and keep it a work horse?
                            Mine is going somewhere in the middle, half ranch truck work horse and half hot rod ish.....
                            Keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

Thanks for the pics. Nice truck. Looks right at home in the garage. Some day I'd like to find a smaller Stude truck to run around in. Going to be a fun project.

Gordon S

Comment

Working...
                              X