Most unusual '63 Lark Custom 4 dr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most unusual '63 Lark Custom 4 dr.

This one gets my vote for the most unusual, strange, odd, weird looking '63 Lark I have ever seen.

It has a beautiful NOS looking original style Custom trim, Y6 high quality cloth Interior, a nice new paint job, lots of mechanical work done, it does have a Standard Trans. but with NO Overdrive, which will kill the little 170 OHV 6 with most likely 3.73 rear Gears, and then what ruins all the good, is that weird looking two-tone job.

I just don't get it, why would you go to all the work and expense to restore it, and then do that to an otherwise Original, nice little Car?

Then try to find someone who appreciates your strange taste to flip it to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...SS:MOTORS:1123
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    This one gets my vote for the most unusual, strange, odd, weird looking '63 Lark I have ever seen.

It has a beautiful NOS looking original style Custom trim, Y6 high quality cloth Interior, a nice new paint job, lots of mechanical work done, it does have a Standard Trans. but with NO Overdrive, which will kill the little 170 OHV 6 with most likely 3.73 rear Gears, and then what ruins all the good, is that weird looking two-tone job.

I just don't get it, why would you go to all the work and expense to restore it, and then do that to an otherwise Original, nice little Car?

Then try to find someone who appreciates your strange taste to flip it to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...SS:MOTORS:1123
    Maybe because they like it that way, and they own it?

Could it be that simple, or is it really a plot to see if they can get attacked? Must be a conspiracy.

Maybe you should write them and give 'em what fer. Bastards.

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
      Maybe because they like it that way, and they own it?

That's all well and good as long as they don't try to sell it (which they apparantly are attempting to do). Now they have to face their decision to do such a thing to their car and try to find someone that also likes the paint job or is willing to re-paint it. At any rate, I doubt they will get their money back for the paint job.
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

True enough, Jon. And it's not how I would have done it. And, they did hurt their resale value, which they're finding out since they've been trying to sell it for months and haven't yet done so. But I cannot see how it's ever good for the hobby to pick at someone's taste or workmanship. Maybe I'm missing it. We've been over this plenty in the past, but it seems to fester up like a reoccuring boil occasionally.

To my way of thinking the idea is to PROMOTE participation, not DISCOURAGE it.

I realize others' motives (and thrills) may vary.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

The "problems" that I see:
          1) The car is in Florida with New Jersey plates (sure it can be explained).
          2) He has been on eBay since 2004 and has zero feedback.
          3) What he gives as a "VIN" appears to be body tag information.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hmmm... let's see here.

NJ front plate, FL back plate. no pics of the frame, etc. a former rust belt car?
            lots of 6's with no overdrive.
            the paint? no, do not like. seems to be in miami so a "flamingo" color, or a pastel color would be cool.

main problem? zero feedback. i know, there's a phone # listed...

if i was ready to buy a lark, and i was in the miami area, i'd have a "look-see". maybe one of our south florida folks could check it out.
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

But I cannot see how it's ever good for the hobby to pick at someone's taste or workmanship. Maybe I'm missing it.
              Nor do I see it being good to pick about someones's knowledge and/or their ads.
              Two of your recent examples...

"Says 'Avanti engine' but no details, no fender badges, no engine numbers, no price. You'd think anybody that knows about 'Avanti power' would know to list specs, numbers, and engine pictures, so it's all red flags."

"just the text is over-the-top silly..."

I'd say you might be missing it. Or twisting it.
              What's the big deal? We've all done it a time or two.
              Your opinion may vary. In fact--- I'm sure of it!!!

and that's about all I have to say about that.

BTW~
              I like the color on the back,
              but not so much the one up front.
              or the fact that it's a '63~ gross...

StudeDave '57
              yup- I have an opinion too
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I'm sure you've all seen cars with wierd paint schemes, like black painted on the bottom of the a car to paint over rust repair where the owner didn't want to repaint the whole car. Could be this was a yellow car that got banged in the rear and he fixed it. Then did the wierd paint scheme to cover the repair and avoid painting the whole car. There is no other reaon I can think of to do this. Big red flag to me.

Comment

But I cannot see how it's ever good for the hobby to pick at someone's taste or workmanship. Maybe I'm missing it. We've been over this plenty in the past, but it seems to fester up like a reoccuring boil occasionally.

To my way of thinking the idea is to PROMOTE participation, not DISCOURAGE it.

I realize others' motives (and thrills) may vary.
                  Very true......Yet, here we go again.
                  Jon Stalnaker
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                    Nor do I see it being good to pick about someones's knowledge and/or their ads.
                    Two of your recent examples...

"Says 'Avanti engine' but no details, no fender badges, no engine numbers, no price. You'd think anybody that knows about 'Avanti power' would know to list specs, numbers, and engine pictures, so it's all red flags."

"just the text is over-the-top silly..."

I'd say you might be missing it. Or twisting it.
                    What's the big deal? We've all done it a time or two.
                    Your opinion may vary. In fact--- I'm sure of it!!!

and that's about all I have to say about that.

BTW~
                    I like the color on the back,
                    but not so much the one up front.
                    or the fact that it's a '63~ gross...

StudeDave '57
                    yup- I have an opinion too
                    What you're conveniently avoiding, Dave, is what I said it would be reasonable to tell the person to their face. The critiques of the listing are all legit. And, over-the-top silly text is a hindrance to a sale, and pointing it out could help someone make a sale; it's called constructive criticism. As opposed to telling someone their taste is strange, which does nothing but be hurtful to somebody.

If you are willing to walk up to the owner sneering and arrogant and tell him his taste is "odd" and "weird" and "strange"- basically that they're an idiot- go for it, and see how it makes them feel.

Personally, I would choose to focus on the good in the car and encourage the owner, not try to make myself feel better about what's eating me by making the owner feel bad. Especially being a business owner, where customers might shy away from my negative attitude.

But that's just me.

Have fun. I'm off to enjoy my sweetheart and some good friends. I'll leave the defense of being negative to others
                    Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Very true, YET HERE WE GO AGAIN ! should'nt that really apply to the ORIGIONAL post ?
                      Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                      Very true......Yet, here we go again.
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

You'd certainly never be mistaken for anyone else in this!!!! Might be kind of handy if broken down as folks would know that's "X" with the crazy Lark.
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                          Very true, YET HERE WE GO AGAIN ! should'nt that really apply to the ORIGIONAL post ?
                          It applies to the whole thread.
                          Jon Stalnaker
                          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

My comment is not to criticize, but I would like to know the "story." There is an explanation behind the paint scheme and I would like to know what it is. Could it have been an accident that turned into an "on purpose?" Somewhere, there is a tale that caused the person to do this. I would like to know.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Either someone went to a heck of a lot of trouble to conceal the rust on that Lark or it indeed is a relatively rustfree car that someone as a joke installed a New Jersey front tag.
                              --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                              X