X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
    Olds Cutlass Ciera was the reason. I don't think they were using the Sierra name for their trucks until later years.
    I had a 1970 GMC Sierra. Not sure if '70 was the first year for the Sierra name or not.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
    Amazingly, I saw two Merkurs this week...one driving, one seems to be a long timed parked.
    Great cars. When I lived in the UK they, the two door sport models like we got here, as well as 4-doors and wagons, were everywhere.
    We got both the two door and the four door versions here. IIRC, the two door was the XR7 and the four door was the Scorpio. I had a neighbor that one of the four door models. It had about 150K miles on it when they replaced it with a 1996 Grand Cherokee that I located for them.

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied
    Originally posted by spokejr View Post
    Ford couldn't use the Sierra name since GM owns the name for their trucks...
    Olds Cutlass Ciera was the reason. I don't think they were using the Sierra name for their trucks until later years.

Leave a comment:

• Jim B PEI
    replied
    Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
    To be quite honest I think the two design exercises we see her are no match to what Studebaker put out on the market in '63 and '64. The dual headlight version and the version with the single headlight and an inboard parking light put too much aboard the limited area of the front panel of the Avanit. It looks cluttered.

Yes, the first thing I thought of when I saw what Craig posted was the Mekur. Why it works with that car and not the Avanit I am not sure. Perhaps it is simply a matter of scale.
    If the inboards had been additional small 'grilled' air intakes rather than a parking light, and the 'Pontiac spear shape' had been a different iteration of the park lights, such as a amber bulb/bulbs behind an while/clear lens, that might have worked too, or at least might have been practical in getting a bit more low speed air flow to hot bits without ruining the design

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    Originally posted by jallen View Post
    JBoyle, The car you're referring to might belong to Jack (Packard V8), maybe he will confirm that.
    It is. One of these days I'd like to meet Jack. Maybe he'll show up at the chapter Chirstmas party next week.

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
    And the Olds Cutlass Cierra.

Amazingly, I saw two Merkurs this week...one driving, one seems to be a long timed parked.
    Great cars. When I lived in the UK they, the two door sport models like we got here, as well as 4-doors and wagons, were everywhere.
    Last edited by JBOYLE; 12-03-2011, 07:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    To be quite honest I think the two design exercises we see her are no match to what Studebaker put out on the market in '63 and '64. The dual headlight version and the version with the single headlight and an inboard parking light put too much aboard the limited area of the front panel of the Avanit. It looks cluttered.

Yes, the first thing I thought of when I saw what Craig posted was the Mekur. Why it works with that car and not the Avanit I am not sure. Perhaps it is simply a matter of scale.

Leave a comment:

• spokejr
    replied
    Last edited by spokejr; 12-02-2011, 10:11 PM. Reason: left of part of message

Leave a comment:

• jallen
    replied
    JBoyle, The car you're referring to might belong to Jack (Packard V8), maybe he will confirm that.
    Last edited by jallen; 12-02-2011, 08:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied
    Craig's last picture reminds me a lot of the Merkur XR4Ti. Remember those? (Ford of Germany) TRIVIA: They were called Sierra over there. Why weren't they called that here? (Sorry for the tangent.)
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
    Studebaker had full intentions of releasing a line of cars that were based on Avanti styling.
    That is correct, as per E.T. Reynolds, Engineer at Studebaker...

In my opinion, the 'intermediate' class of cars was getting vastly overcrowed by 1966, which would have meant this new line of Studebakers would not have had a very good chance in the marketplace; even with a 340 cubic inch engine. Even AMC was even losing huge amounts of money by then.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• StudeMichael
    replied
    It wasn't so much that they scrapped the idea. They ran out of time. Studebaker had full intentions of releasing a line of cars that were based on Avanti styling. (it still bothers me that "Avanti" squiggles when I type it like it is a miss-spelled word)

Leave a comment:

• Lou Van Anne
    replied
    Ugly!...glad they scraped that idea.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    I like it. Emblem and all! The one Craig showed, that is.

Leave a comment:

• StudeMichael
    replied
    I would drive it!!

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    The only thing I liked about this design exercise was the Studebaker logo

Leave a comment:

Working...
X