Curious. Towing with a Wagonaire...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks to all that responded.

i think what i got out of it is that it would be possible but not practical to tow with a wagonaire, without some major "beefing up"...

BTW, i just sold the 91 bronco, so that will not be a factor in future towing... (gotta keep the house payment, bills, etc. going during this recent unpleasantness).
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Just this evening my wife and I were sitting out on the porch enjoying our unusually warm weather. We heard an awful squeeling coming down the road.
      A couple of guys were towing an old suburban with a tow bar, and didn't tie the steering wheel off. The front tires kept turning to one side. They stopped in front of the house and I walked out to see if I could help. I offered a piece of rope, but they decided one of them would ride in the towed vehicle and steer it.
      They were younger guys, I guess they're enrolled in the same school of hard knocks I attended!
      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

gee, i thought things like that only happened here, "down south"!

i'm joking!!!
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I'm a transplanted southerner, but I have found lots of YRNs (yankee red necks) around here. I mean that in a good way! Except for the accent, country folks are the same all over.
          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Here's where you might want to plan a body transplant onto a modified 3/4 ton truck chassis, pick a brand. Done right the Wagonaire would look correct and have all the towing power you need. Would be lots of work, but if you want the look, you need to do the work. Another thread somewhere had a 50 or 51 Champion on a 4x4 truck chasis, so it can be done. If you used a 2 wheel drive, you might be able to get the ride height correct. Some of the 3/4 ton trucks used 15" wheels, so pop a set of wheel discs on them and tow away.
            I tow a big 5TH wheel RV with a F350 crewcab, diesel, dually and a longer wheelbase truck is a big plus when towing. A tag-a-long trailer needs an equalizer type hitch and a good electric brake system to be safe. We towed the 66 Daytona to South Bend last summer. Ran the interstates at 70-80 MPH and never even knew the car and trailer were behind us and averaged almost 15MPG, probably about what we would have gotten driving the Daytona. Having only owed the car for a couple months, at that time, we felt towing it was the proper way to go.
            The question was : Can you tow a car on a trailer behind a Wagonaire? Yes. Can you do it safely? No. I see ads for 1/2 ton towable 5TH wheels and big tag-a-long trailers. Based on weight, they are legal and can be done. Based on safety, they are an accident waiting to happen. Your towing safety should be based on the worst possible condition that can happen. Just a little side wind becomes a tornado when pulling a trailer. I've seen many times when the trailer ended up controling the tow vehicle and they were upside down in an instant.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
            X