Curious. Towing with a Wagonaire...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious. Towing with a Wagonaire...

as i hope to be able to, physically and financially, get another stude in the next couple of months, if or what it would take to get a wagonaire V8 up to be able to tow a single car open trailer loaded with a stude to keep or a brand x to flip...

i'd rather have something a little more versatile than a stude pick-up for uses when not towing. i currently have a full size 91 furd bronco that i can use for that purpose, but would rather get rid of it...

if y'all say "forget about it", i will...
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

I would doubt if any Studebaker car used to tow a car trailer with another Studebaker on it would be legal , at least I know it wouldn't where I come from.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

The couple at Starlight Stude (same people that bought out the upholstry material in CO) have a 63 Wagonaire pulling an airstream Bambi on their web page. I would ask them. I know my '65 Wagonaire when I bought it had a 2" receiver a HD transmission and radiator and an under the dash electric brake for big pulling. I never used it that way. Biggest I ever pulled was a small utility trailer with grass/leaves to the dump.

Mark

Comment

between seeing studeguru's beautiful wagonaire, post started by bams, and that old post with the triumph pulling an avanti, it cleared a couple spider web's in the space between my ears to ask the question...
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
          The couple at Starlight Stude (same people that bought out the upholstry material in CO) have a 63 Wagonaire pulling an airstream Bambi on their web page. Mark
          Yup yup!!! I caught them in Auburn, IN back in 2007~

I'm not too sure about a trailer with a car on it, but Dad towed plenty of cars with our old Wagonaire using a towbar. She was one tough TT equiped cookie. One snowy Winter day back in 1985 my older brother spent the day roaming around Everett, WA towing folks out of the ditches they slid into. The Pepsi truck driver was kind enough to pay with a few six packs!!!
          Warren has what's left of the poor ol' girl.
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Up here it seems that cars pulling housetrailer are exempt from any laws ( not sure why) but when it comes to car trailers loaded even a 1/2 ton full size pickup isn't legal unless its been licenced for the weight. I'm sure every state has different laws.
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
              as i hope to be able to, physically and financially, get another stude in the next couple of months, if or what it would take to get a wagonaire V8 up to be able to tow a single car open trailer loaded with a stude to keep or a brand x to flip...

i'd rather have something a little more versatile than a stude pick-up for uses when not towing. i currently have a full size 91 furd bronco that i can use for that purpose, but would rather get rid of it...

if y'all say "forget about it", i will...
              A car trailer with a car on board is probably too much for a Wagonaire. In 1970 I bought an 18-foot Shasta travel trailer and had a hitch and brake controller put on my '64 Daytona Wagonaire. The trailer weighed 3,800 pounds with a normal load. The hitch was a load-equalizing type and the rig was stable enough. The 259 with overdrive could pull it just fine on level to mildly hilly roads, but I had several white knuckle attacks on mountain roads. I lived in the SF Bay Area and pulled the trailer a number of times going east to the Sacramento area- no big problems. However, once I decided to take it to Santa Cruz. While going up a fairly steep grade the traffic stopped dead (me included). I had a very hard time getting moving again- thought I had probably ruined the clutch. Another time we had gone to a Zone Meet at San Luis Obispo. I decided to go north then turn up toward Atascadero. Big mistake- very long grade from the ocean to the top- ran in low gear maxed out at about 10 mph for what seemed like an eternity (but made it). If I had gotten stopped on that grade I know I couldn't have made it.
              I did use the same Wagonaire to flat tow my '53 Commander Starliner about 1500 miles one time- no trouble pulling it, just a bad time controlling it.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

See my sig picture. Yes I towed a dead Jeep on a car dolly without stress on a very hot day. Overdrive was locked out, of course. The overdrive unit is a weak link, especially a T86, and you would want it locked out just to have engine braking under 30 mph anyway. I'd never attempt to tow even a very small car on a 4 wheel trailer with a Wagonaire. It could likely do it under the right conditions, but it don't think its a great idea. I've towed Studebakers with that Jeep which is specifically equipped for towing, but it too is too short a wheelbase

Even 289 engines were trashing T86 overdrives in Wagonaires back in the day so if a 225 hp 289 would do it in, imagine towing even with a milder 259 if the overdrive is allowed to function.

As Paul Johnson points out, it can be done. I just wouldn't tow as much as he did. I do tow a 13 foot house trailer with my 259 o/d Wagonaire, but it is a 760 pound fibreglass Boler, so no problem with manual drum brakes through mountains

Comment

When I was a kid dad had a 15 foot travel trailer. I got my license on Wednesday and Friday we left Ohio to Florida through the Smokey's pulling the trailer with his '55 President, 259 Auto. Trailer had an equalizer hitch. I did all the driving and it handled it quite well at speed on the roads of the time (pre-interstates). Obviously, the Stude didn't have the umph of the 318 in my Dakota that I now use to pull an 18 foot car trailer but, it was respectable. Important though is the equalizer hitch.

Comment

A good friend just had a scare towing cars with his F150. He had accumulated junk cars when scrap was low, and started towing them to the port for scrap this summer when prices were high. He had a new 10,000 gvw trailer with good brakes and an equalizer hitch, and thought all was good. One night after car number 50 or so he went to unhitch the trailer. When he unhooked the equalizer bars the reciever hitch fell on the ground. The frame had cracked and the mounting bolts had pulled thru the frame. He stopped towing with the half ton and is waiting 'til he gets a bigger truck on the road.
                    If a half ton truck is too light I don't think a station wagon is going to hold up.
                    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                      See my sig picture. Yes I towed a dead Jeep on a car dolly without stress on a very hot day. Overdrive was locked out, of course. The overdrive unit is a weak link, especially a T86, and you would want it locked out just to have engine braking under 30 mph anyway. I'd never attempt to tow even a very small car on a 4 wheel trailer with a Wagonaire. It could likely do it under the right conditions, but it don't think its a great idea. I've towed Studebakers with that Jeep which is specifically equipped for towing, but it too is too short a wheelbase

Even 289 engines were trashing T86 overdrives in Wagonaires back in the day so if a 225 hp 289 would do it in, imagine towing even with a milder 259 if the overdrive is allowed to function.

As Paul Johnson points out, it can be done. I just wouldn't tow as much as he did. I do tow a 13 foot house trailer with my 259 o/d Wagonaire, but it is a 760 pound fibreglass Boler, so no problem with manual drum brakes through mountains
                      I was a little careless in saying overdrive. I kept it locked out when towing too. My Wagonaire has HD springs and shocks and disc brakes so it was a little more qualified than some. Even so, my solution was to transfer the hitch and brake controller to the '64 Champ long bed 1/2 ton with a R-1 engine, Powershift and 3.73 Twin Traction that I bought a year or so after buying the trailer. The 3800 pound travel trailer was a piece of cake with it. I eventually pulled the trailer from Oakland to Boston by way of Seattle, Yellowstone, etc going up to 9,000 feet in Wyoming.
                      I have a 14-foot solid deck car trailer now. With a 3,000 pound plus car on it, I'm pulling nearly 5,000 pounds. Way too much for a Wagonaire.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
                        A good friend just had a scare towing cars with his F150. He had accumulated junk cars when scrap was low, and started towing them to the port for scrap this summer when prices were high. He had a new 10,000 gvw trailer with good brakes and an equalizer hitch, and thought all was good. One night after car number 50 or so he went to unhitch the trailer. When he unhooked the equalizer bars the reciever hitch fell on the ground. The frame had cracked and the mounting bolts had pulled thru the frame. He stopped towing with the half ton and is waiting 'til he gets a bigger truck on the road.
                        If a half ton truck is too light I don't think a station wagon is going to hold up
                        I totally agree. I pull with a 3/4-ton Dodge with a factory towng package. I wouldn't use anything less than that.

Comment

There is no way I can recommend this. The car is too light to tow a trailer with a car on; the brakes are not nearly adequate even with trailer brakes; and mostly, the Stude frame is IMO too flimsy! Unlike a dolly, a trailer has the big killer: tongue weight. Even wit a Class III or IV hitch I would not do it. You'd likely look like this:

If you want to safely tow a trailer with a Wagonaire, here's one you can probably get away with:

When towing a trailer, remember to consider these things:

Weight of the tow vehicle should be heavier than the towed load
                          The shorter the wheelbase is of the tow vehicle, the higher the danger of trouble
                          Brakes and tires need to be superior
                          Tongue weight is critical

So No, it would be cool, but I would never recommend towing a car on a trailer with a Wagonaire. I know it has been done, but in my experience you'd be asking for WAY more trouble than you can imagine. Sorry!
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Taking a stock Wagonaire and hooking a trailer up to it? Not a chance I'd do that.

Johnny McCall drives his '65 Wagonaire all over the country pulling cars. Beefed up suspension and brakes and the right towing equipment to go along with it. But, that can't be done.

Then again, this can't be done either. Did I ever mention that I'm a huge fan of doing what can't be done?

Last edited by mbstude; 12-01-2011, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                              Johnny McCall drives his '65 Wagonaire all over the country pulling cars. Beefed up suspension and brakes and the right towing equipment to go along with it. But, that can't be done.

Then again, this can't be done either. Did I ever mention that I'm a huge fan of doing what can't be done?
                              Nobody ever said it can't be done. Those of us with literally tens of thousands of both professional and leisure towing experience over more than three decades are saying it should never be done- especially by the inexperienced.

To infer that it's ever a good idea would be at best, irresponsible.

Of course, it's a free country. The rest of us will just have to practice defensive driving and hope for the best. Such is life
                              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X